Planning to take September MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmission

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to take the MCAT this coming September. I just finished my classes and pre-requisites, so I don't really have time for the 3 month plan suggested here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8092168
Best-case, I've got about ~80 days of studying.

My questions are:
-given that I can't follow that 3-month plan, should I still get those books and follow along where I can? (the books are in this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10225122&postcount=2 )
-to sign up to take the MCAT, do I just need to create an account at the AAMC site?

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

-Yes, you could still follow along with the plan, 80 days is more than enough studying. Making plans are good, but try not to get too OCD about it, just keep studying and use lots of practice exams/passages.

Yes, go to the AAMC website and follow the links to mcat to register, it's pretty self explanatory.

You can do it if you're concentrated and give it your best shot. It's probably too late to order the TBR books, so just go with the EK setup and you should be fine.

Thanks for the replies! Do the BR books take awhile or something? Seems like they're a lot better than some of the EKs

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! Do the BR books take awhile or something? Seems like they're a lot better than some of the EKs

Well, you have to send the order form by mail, which leads to a long time receiving the books. Since you live in cali, you can do use the priority mail and get the order form to them in a day and hopefully get your books in a week or two or you can try driving to one of their centers and try purchasing it directly.

I would recommend focusing on bio and verbal right now using EK (just read chapters, highligh, make notes on areas your weak on and do the in class ? and practice exams) and then order the BR physics and gen chem books.
I highly recommend the BR books for PS, just because I am a re-taker and I feel a lot more comfortable with the material after using BR.
Also, I would order the TBR bio along with those, not for reading material but for their passages. The best way to ensure you will do well on this test is a lot of timed practice passages. sounds pretty self explanatory, but a lot of people make the mistake of doing "content review" over and over again, thinking that it will help their score. good luck.

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to take the MCAT this coming September. I just finished my classes and pre-requisites, so I don't really have time for the 3 month plan suggested here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8092168
Best-case, I've got about ~80 days of studying.

Why do you need to take it in september? That's already too late for you to apply to med school this cycle, so why not push it back a little farther so you can follow SN2ed's 3 month plan?

If you have no other choice for some personal reason, perhaps you should modify your studying around your best prereq, whether its bio, orgo, etc. Dont study for that one, just do practice passages out of BR for it while studying for the other ones. That should reduce your workload, but of course it will only work if you know the material of one subject well already. Its not a perfect solution, but it could work.

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the last test date early september until sometime in january? This is what I have been told and on a brief look saw. I would love to be wrong though. I'm in a similiar position and would feel much more comfortable with a late september/ early october test.

I'm sure if forced the OP and myself would push the test back to a time when we are more comfortable... but that is a lot of time.

For the OP, I'm skipping orgo review unless I have some time before the test. I will of course look at it to keep it fresh but not intensley review it. Taking a subject you feel comfortable with out and that should free up some time.

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the last test date early september until sometime in january? This is what I have been told and on a brief look saw. I would love to be wrong though. I'm in a similiar position and would feel much more comfortable with a late september/ early october test.

I'm sure if forced the OP and myself would push the test back to a time when we are more comfortable... but that is a lot of time.

For the OP, I'm skipping orgo review unless I have some time before the test. I will of course look at it to keep it fresh but not intensley review it. Taking a subject you feel comfortable with out and that should free up some time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the last test date is sept 10th until January.

Why do you need to take it in september? That's already too late for you to apply to med school this cycle, so why not push it back a little farther so you can follow SN2ed's 3 month plan?

If you have no other choice for some personal reason, perhaps you should modify your studying around your best prereq, whether its bio, orgo, etc. Dont study for that one, just do practice passages out of BR for it while studying for the other ones. That should reduce your workload, but of course it will only work if you know the material of one subject well already. Its not a perfect solution, but it could work.

If the OP is applying next year and wants to be able to apply early and have plenty of time to study for the mcat, it would be best to take it in september, since the OP will have 80 days free to take it. I know I have never had 80 days free during undergrad to study for mcat.

Thanks for the replies! Assuming the BR books won't work out, are there any other comparable books that have worked for you guys?

Thanks again.