Plans for next year - need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odyssean

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just graduated from Loyola University Chicago as a Biology major in the Honors Program and would like some advice on what you think I should do next year. I graduated with an overall gpa of 3.6 and BCPM of 3.63 and have pretty good ECs: 1) Worked at a hospital in admitting for 1.5 yrs, 2) Research assistant at a chicago medschool for half a year 3) Did research for >1 year at Loyola and got a scholarship for it, 4) Still volunteering at a hospital for >1 year in ED, 5) Was involved with Alpha Epsilon Delta as a national member, 6) Other stuff, not really medically related.

I am currently applying to three Masters program around Chicago but I would rather avoid them due to cost. I would rather get a job that is major-related while still volunteering or even volunteer abroad. Another option is to simply take a couple classes at my university as a post-bach to simply keep in school for that one year. I am taking the mcat soon and expect to get something around 31 based on diags. So what would you guys recommend based on this?

1) Do Masters
2) Do Post-bach/volunteer/work part-time
3) Work full-time (major-based) and volunteer

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

do you still live in Rogers Park? i might be able to hook you up with a job at St. Francis in the ER if you're interested. i'm not sure what you've been doing as a volunteer, but actually working as a tech might give you more hands-on experience (and a paycheck, zing!) you could get more clinical exposure and possibly do some community service type stuff at the same time.

Your GPA is fine, so there is no need to do a masters to prove you can do the work. You could unofficially do post-bacc work by taking a course or two in upper level sciences to keep your hand in, being careful to get only As, of course. Work in the day and make some money. Continue some regular volunteerism too (staying with your current ED is fine.).

do you still live in Rogers Park? i might be able to hook you up with a job at St. Francis in the ER if you're interested. i'm not sure what you've been doing as a volunteer, but actually working as a tech might give you more hands-on experience (and a paycheck, zing!) you could get more clinical exposure and possibly do some community service type stuff at the same time.

Thank you but I actually commuted so working there now would just be pretty inconvenient but I will definitely take it into consideration! Any other advice? Thanks.