Plans for yer year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derisivewords

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those planning to take a break btw college and med school, what are you planning on doing with yer time?

I'm looking forward to whoring myself out for a research type position, either in neural modeling or tissue engineering (depends on what I get), teaching for Kaplan, possibly voluntary EMT work or just some more clinical experience somewhere, traveling (Europe! yay!), and making a movie (yay!). I'm in the very preliminary stages of the movie-thing, but I can't wait to do it hehehehe.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on taking a year off, possibly two, and I'm considering several options, including EMT certification, mental health counseling, Teach for America, more science courses if I need to raise my GPA, bartending on the side, or making a short film/documentary on something that fascinates me. Derisivewords, if you are planning on making a movie, what kind of movie will it be? Would you direct it or act in it, or both?

My girlfriend and I - we like to make movies too. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok here's some food for thought. Most people have done research and clinical work during undergrad. You're not going to make your application all that much stronger by beating a dead horse. Why not do something fun and original with your year off. I originally wanted to do the peace corps. Unfortunately it is a two year project. After considering my options I went to culinary school. I loved every minute of it...

I agree, do something you've always wanted to do but felt you didn't have the time. You can work on buffing up weak areas of your app too, but time is precious, make the most of it to do the things you love.

As for my movie, well it's in the very preliminary stages! I'm exploring the digital movie route, since my dad already has a digital camcorder and that could save me lotsa $$$ on equipment. It won't have the greatest production values I guess but I'm not making the next Star Wars movie or anything.

One idea I've been seriously considering is doing something loosely based on Dostoevsky's "Notes From Underground", only with a female playing the role of anti-hero. I have a few paragraphs of ideas jotted down. I have yet to write a screenplay, find actors, etc. though, haha. But I intend on doing most the work myself methinks.

I think I will probably take about five years off between college and medical school. Two years and 3 months for the Peace Corps, a year or so (basically until I run out of $$) to wander the globe completely free of any obligations, then back to the states to tackle the MCATs and the application process, during which time I will probably get a research job (MS?) or maybe try to work for the UN. Plan still in the formative stages though... :)

From the other side, I took this year off and worked in clinical research while teaching MCAT for TPR. This is a great experience. At every interview I have been to I have had to talk about my present research and teaching. While this may be the only time to enjoy something original, make it substantial, not just goofing off. What you have suggested is great, peace corps is (from what I am told) an incredible experience, and further education is always good too (culinary school is very unique). Just remind yourself that it should show that you are interested in life-long learning and, as a bonus, medicine.

I disagree a little bit with Dukeblue. I think that the your experiences during your year off should demonstrate that you have a passion for other things in life (besides medicine). You have the rest of your life to devote to the medical career. Doctors have to be well rounded as well. If you've done research...and clinical work...then do something else! However, if your application is lacking in that department then it's a different story.

Hestia-

DEFINATELY do Teach For America! I can't say enough good things about my experience with the program.

I'm spending my year off playing in a rock band, keeping track of my apps, flying around the country on interviews, and substitute teaching.

SMW,

I keep meaning to ask what band you are in. I'm in Anchorage often for work. Do you play around town (Humpy's, Chilkoot's, Glacier Brewhouse, etc.)?

I do some music promotion up here in Fairbanks so if you're interested in doing a gig up here, let me know and I can probably find you a place.

Cheers.

I spent (am spending) my year off getting my MS in pure & applied mathematics (which really takes 1.5yrs but I began taking courses during undergrad). Then I taught and teach GChem and Physics MCAT for TPR. Taught and will teach OChem for MMEP. I also teach pre-calculus at my school.

I went to Africa and will make another trip there during spring break (this looks really good, but I'm actually cheating with this one since I grew up in Africa ;) ). I was in Switzerland for a minute; and I'll spin through Europe and Canada again before August. I also did the interview trail thing very breifly.

I'm not going to lie: I definitely had lots of fun; but I'm drained! I need a quiet place to rest for like a month before med school starts in August. Don't exhaust yourself. Think about this! A HUGE project like a movie can ware you out regardless of how makeshift/low budget it is.

Currently working as an associate for a biotech IP consulting firm. Ahh, corporate life. ;) Doing other activities (sports, etc) in my spare time.

If I could take a year off..I'd like to take a structured course in jyotish astrology. I've always enjoyed it..but am only an intermediate studier. However, I'd like to know the intricacies of it all.

Alicia

I'm taking this year off to read a book a day (no potboilers), learn jazz piano, a little volunteering at a hospice, and working out. But I didn't take a year off by choice, only because I was too drunk in junior year and missed all my deadlines. I'd caution against taking a year off, unless you have something really ambitious up your sleeves. Most people tend to slack off and it's hard to get back into the groove when they start med school.

UCLA2000, you're my hero. :)

Taking a year off for culinary school sounds so cool. My parents run a Japanese restaurant (Dad cooks, Mom waitresses) and I've always wanted to learn the family trade a bit.

I took this year off to accomplish a couple of things. I wanted to be in a lab full-time to test my desire for academic medicine (if I ever choose to do research again, I know what I am getting into) and to surf and snowboard. So far two out of the three isn't bad. Just wish that I didn't quit that job at UCSF, could really use some extra cash right now.

I have spent this year so far travelling for interviews, working in a blood bank and now in 4 weeks I am going to Costa Rica for two months to learn Spanish and do loads of surfing. I have dreamt of this trip since High School. I just hope that any interview offers that come can be held off until April. So, what to do for your your year off? I really think you should do what ever you want to do. Explore your passions. That will look the best on your application.

This year is my year off, and I had a little taste of this and that. I went out of the country to do some service work, and I had a blast. I've also been doing some work for the Red Cross, and that's been "interesting." I also volunteer at this community clinic. And b/c I can't get enough of kids, I go and read to the children in the pediatric ward two days a week. Oh yeah, and I've been traveling here and there. I also spent last semester taking 3 grad level classes just for the fun of it b/c I love "reading, riting, and 'rithmetic." :D
I've also become quite the internet surfer over the past few months... :D
I have some other things up my sleeve for the next few months, but they're still in the making.
;)

wow.. I feel exhilirated just reading through this thread and letting my imagination place me in each of these distinct activities.

hey original, how'd you get involved in teaching MMEP? Did you do it yourself first? I never did, though I hear only good things about it. This is one of my options for this summer, so please let me know more about it.

Originally posted by brickmanli:
•I'm taking this year off to read a book a day (no potboilers), learn jazz piano, a little volunteering at a hospice, and working out. But I didn't take a year off by choice, only because I was too drunk in junior year and missed all my deadlines. I'd caution against taking a year off, unless you have something really ambitious up your sleeves. Most people tend to slack off and it's hard to get back into the groove when they start med school.•••

How's the jazz piano coming on?? I started taking lessons - I play by ear but wanted to learn the notation. Anyhow - I switched to resuming cello lessons - I would love to get to the level where I can improv on it!