Plastic Surgeon with a net worth of over $10M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.putlocker.com/file/FB7CAAA76898F475#
At time 5:0, he reveals how much he is worth n u can his house, cars... great life!:)

Depends on what you value in life. If you make it to be eighty-five years of age, one would hope you'd be able to measure your impact in the world in something other than tit jobs. Not bashing plastics (some really do improve the well being of others), but I don't really consider the vanity business much of a calling.

Depends on what you value in life. If you make it to be eighty-five years of age, one would hope you'd be able to measure your impact in the world in something other than tit jobs. Not bashing plastics (some really do improve the well being of others), but I don't really consider the vanity business much of a calling.

The majority of people will never make an impact on the world and most people are relatively happy.

Some people would be really happy making tons of money, while working a 9-5 fixing boobs, and having the rest of the time to spend with their families.

That said I'm not interested in plastics either.

Reactions: 1 user
10M is quite a bit...

but apparently Mr Zuckerburg is worth 5,000 times that much, so I guess it's all fair.

(PS. I've heard of a couple doctors worth a lot more than that, but that's generally because they lived cheap for a couple years and invested every extra dollar they made. By the time they retire, they're worth a fortune.)

The majority of people will never make an impact on the world and most people are relatively happy.

Source? Relatively happy compared to who?

Some people would be really happy making tons of money, while working a 9-5 fixing boobs, and having the rest of the time to spend with their families.

Perhaps this is true for some people. The general population, however, is not really significantly more happy when they make above $75,000 a year.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html

Source? Relatively happy compared to who?

Perhaps this is true for some people. The general population, however, is not really significantly more happy when they make above $75,000 a year.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html

Source? I'll use one from the article you linked

"The authors found that most Americans — 85% — regardless of their annual income, felt happy each day.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html#ixzz2FZ5HlaY6"

So I'd say that 85% is pretty much most people. And of those 85% of those happy people I would say the majority never significantly impacted the world.

Most people work 9-5 desk jobs and office jobs, that is hardly making an impact but Im sure a lot are happy.

I also never said making tons of money would make him more happy, but certainly it doesn't hurt.

What I am saying is working a 9-5 job where he can spend lots of time with his family and has a good salary to spoil his kids probably makes a happy doctor.

^ Good luck finding a 9-5 in medicine other than derm.

Except not many people have the intelligence and ability to become a plastic surgeon. A guy like this could do great things in surgical research and clinical surgery.

"The authors found that most Americans — 85% — regardless of their annual income, felt happy each day.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html#ixzz2FZ5HlaY6"

So I'd say that 85% is pretty much most people. And of those 85% of those happy people I would say the majority never significantly impacted the world.

Most people work 9-5 desk jobs and office jobs, that is hardly making an impact but Im sure a lot are happy.

I also never said making tons of money would make him more happy, but certainly it doesn't hurt.

What I am saying is working a 9-5 job where he can spend lots of time with his family and has a good salary to spoil his kids probably makes a happy doctor.

Those 85% are certainly impacting the world. Society falls apart the minute those people walk away from their office jobs and blue-collar work sites.

Hahaha, 9-5. That's a good one. I guessing they work 70-80 hours/wk

Check this out: http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/public

Derm, Psych, EM, HIV/ID, and Path were the top 5 for job satisfaction. Plastic Surgery was the LOWEST.

I also loved page 9's stats: 15% of Pathologists consider themselves "rich" as opposed to 6% of Plastic Surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a D.O. emergency medicine doctor's garage. If you invest your money in the right places you have potential to become very wealthy...

DSC_2480.jpg

Those 85% are certainly impacting the world. Society falls apart the minute those people walk away from their office jobs and blue-collar work sites.

So a person who works as a manager of a walmart is going to be satisfied with the mark they made on the world but the plastic surgeon who makes people happy by fixing their cosmetic problems is going to be unsatisfied?

The rest of you guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter if he works 9-5, which is possible for plastics

http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2011/plastic-surgery

but the point is that just because a person is in a career that doesn't save lives doesn't mean they aren't happy.

If the guy enjoys plastics, enjoys his work schedule, enjoys his money, and enjoys the luxury he gets with his family then I see no reason why you would say "might not be as great a life as you think"

Sure it might not be a great life. However if you assume he enjoys his career and his lifestyle then its a pretty awesome life.

Just because you don't find plastics important doesn't mean other people dont.

Thats a D.O. emergency medicine doctor's garage. If you invest your money in the right places you have potential to become very wealthy...

If you're 25 and you put the max 5k/yr into a Roth IRA, assuming 8% interest it'll be worth $150k by the time you're 40, and $400k at 50, and over a million by retirement. That's with only a 5k/yr investment in the right places.

With an attending's salary, and some financial sense, you can become a millionaire in your late 30's/ early 40's.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you guys insinuating that this plastic surgeon is unhappy?

People can be happy or unhappy doing anything. It all depends on the person. I know people who love working at McDonalds. And I know people who hate being tenured professors who have to teach one class a quarter.

It all depends on your personal opinion of what is/is not worth your time. If I was this guy, I'd be pretty happy.

If you're 25 and you put the max 5k/yr into a Roth IRA, assuming 8% interest it'll be worth $150k by the time you're 40, and $400k at 50, and over a million by retirement. That's with only a 5k/yr investment in the right places.

With an attending's salary, and some financial sense, you can become a millionaire in your late 30's/ early 40's.

I guess this math assumes your family pays for UG and med school out of pocket or you get a full ride to both?

Except not many people have the intelligence and ability to become a plastic surgeon. A guy like this could do great things in surgical research and clinical surgery.

That may be, but it of course doesn't mean he has any obligation to use his talents in that way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I guess this math assumes your family pays for UG and med school out of pocket or you get a full ride to both?

Like I said, some financial sense can't hurt either.

If you took out a lot for undergrad, well... idk what to tell ya, other than you probably shouldn't have taken out a lot for undergrad. Tuition & Fees at my UG were only $7k/yr, and i still received a quality education.

There are ways to make medical school cheaper as well. For example, I'm applying for Army HPSP right now. If I get it, I'll be debt free. I used to be 280 lbs a year and a half ago, but now I'm only a pound or 2 shy of meeting military retention standards. I'm already practicing my push-ups, and I did the first real chin-up in my life today :D.

Like I said, some financial sense can't hurt either.

If you took out a lot for undergrad, well... idk what to tell ya, other than you probably shouldn't have taken out a lot for undergrad. Tuition & Fees at my UG were only $7k/yr, and i still received a quality education.

There are ways to make medical school cheaper as well. For example, I'm applying for Army HPSP right now. If I get it, I'll be debt free. I used to be 280 lbs a year and a half ago, but now I'm only a pound or 2 shy of meeting military retention standards. I'm already practicing my push-ups, and I did the first real chin-up in my life today :D.

Haha, good work! I looked at up at some point, don't you have to do like 5 chins? If so, you'll be ready soon.

And no, I'm actually fortunate to not be carrying any UG debt, but many are. And I will have med school debt, as will most people. Just wanted to put this stuff out there, as your scenario of 5k a year from age 25 seemed a little optimistic for most of us. :)

Haha, good work! I looked at up at some point, don't you have to do like 5 chins? If so, you'll be ready soon.

And no, I'm actually fortunate to not be carrying any UG debt, but many are. And I will have med school debt, as will most people. Just wanted to put this stuff out there, as your scenario of 5k a year from age 25 seemed a little optimistic for most of us. :)

Yeah, I know not everyone can do that. I just used it as an example of how even a little bit of money can go a long way if you're smart w/ your money and have average luck investing.

I'm guessing the problem w/ "broke" attendings is that once they get the pay increase, they increase all their living expenses as well. They buy a house or fancy apartment, a new car, entertainment center et cetera, but they don't set aside much for student loans (beyond the minimum), retirement, and needs that may pop up. My parents, who used to make over six figures, were like this. They did pay for half my undergrad, and I'm thankful for that, but they insisted they didn't have the money to get me braces when I was slightly younger. If you can afford to buy 2 NEW gas guzzlers, you can afford braces for your son.

People who look like they have a lot of money...generally don't. Unless he got these cars for free (which would negate your point completely), this person dumped a lot of their money into depreciating assetts. And yet, your take-away from this, like so many here in the US, is that they have money. Not to mention the fact that he's in a specialty with extremely high liability, like EM. You might as well paint a target on your back.

These tendencies are so ingrained in people that it's nearly impossible to see it from the other direction. Bring on the hater pictures!!

I'd be happy with bringing men 40 years of perfect tit job surgeries but that's just me.

People who look like they have a lot of money...generally don't. Unless he got these cars for free (which would negate your point completely), this person dumped a lot of their money into depreciating assetts. And yet, your take-away from this, like so many here in the US, is that they have money. Not to mention the fact that he's in a specialty with extremely high liability, like EM. You might as well paint a target on your back.

These tendencies are so ingrained in people that it's nearly impossible to see it from the other direction. Bring on the hater pictures!!

Someone has already addressed this issue in another related thread, and the gist was that collectible cars can be considered an investment since their value actually grows.

Someone has already addressed this issue in another related thread, and the gist was that collectible cars can be considered an investment since their value actually grows.

The F40, I'm guessing that's what the third from the right is, is about the only collectible car in his collection.

I agree with you, but as a side note it was stated in the thread where that was originally posted that the doc made ~$800k a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

The F40, I'm guessing that's what the third from the right is, is about the only collectible car in his collection.

Oh Ok, I have no idea which one would or wouldn't be a collectible. That's just what the point was when the EM resident, who had the AMA, posted a similar picture about his friends garage.

Enough to offset the what he would have made from other less-risky investments, inflation, non-liquidity, and the cost of keeping the cars in excellent condition (housing, maintenance, cleaning)? Doubtful.

I agree with you, but as a side note it was stated in the thread where that was originally posted that the doc made ~$800k a year.

These tendencies are rarely isolated to one facet of a person's life. If he is prone to extravagance here, he very likely is in other respects. Even $800k/yr can disappear if you don't know your limits or plan for the future. Look at the Mike Tyson, MC Hammer, and Michael Vick's of the world.

Well, the rich pay a lot for breat augmentations, i guess.
But the workaholics make more.....
Well, my life at the moment is boring, maybe I should become a workaholic.

No one gets truly rich by trading time for money (ie. salary), except maybe investment bankers. Getting rich is about making smart investments.

No one gets truly rich by trading time for money (ie. salary), except maybe investment bankers. Getting rich is about making smart investments.

What's your definition of rich? Money can't buy time.

I hate to dig up a two year thread, but I couldn't let this one slide. The second car from the left is a Porsche Carrera GT. According to Yahoo! Autos: "Only 1,270 Carrera GTs were produced between 2004 and 2007, and it's known as one of the most enthralling supercars ever built (one that demands a driver's respect). Even today, a decade after it first debuted, it still appears both modern and beautiful." Wikipedia says the original MRSP was $448,000, and only 604 were sold in the United States. The car gained a little notoriety recently as being the model that Paul Walker died in.

A quick online search shows that this car sells for well over $500k today, and some of the very low mileage Carrera GTs sell for up to $700k. The self-proclaimed "rarest of all Carrera GTs on the planet" is listed for sale at $950k (http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/2005/porsche/carrera--gt/101013).

Considering the car's significant value appreciation and the priceless experience of being able to drive the "Top Sports Car of the 2000s" for a decade, I think the D.O. emergency physician made a great investment. For you guys to look at that garage and claim otherwise is totally preposterous.

I'm betting the physician had a significant inheritance or side job of investing/chart dictations / or celebrity clients.average net worth if physician household in late 40s is around 1 mil which really is not that much.