1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Plastic Surgery Match

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dabiophyz, Mar 13, 2007.

1. dabiophyz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I have been checking out the match lists for a lot of schools, and it doesn't seem like many have students matching into plastic surgery each year? Is it that there aren't many spots, or some other reason? Can anyone explain? Thanks

Also, what schools out there aren't top ranked but have great match lists: any recommendations?

2. KaraKiz

KaraKiz I'm Ron Burgundy?
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i thought plastic surgery was a surgery subspecialty - wouldnt you have to match into general surgery and then do another fellowship after that for plastic?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. johnnydrama

johnnydrama I'm no Superman
    10+ Year Member

Plastic surgery is its own speciality, but has very few spots. (It's probably also possible to get into it through general, but as I'm not interested in either, haven't put too much thought into it.) In general, I think higher ranked schools have better match lists but then there are always a few schools that match well within their own geographic locations. So if you don't get into a top school, aim to end up in the same state if not city of the residency programs you are interested in - you're more likely to get some useful networking in that way.

4. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It is, but they have integrated plastics residencies that are few in number and uber competitive.

5. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, plastics goes through the San Francisco match, not the NRMP.

6. TexPre-Med

TexPre-Med Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are some spots through the NRMP. Most competitive specialty out there though!

7. NCF145

NCF145 Not Politically Correct
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    According to the AAMC there are only 82 plastic surgery positions available in the main match.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There were 88 spots last year. Only 46% of medical seniors who applied to plastics matched. Oddly enough, there was 1 unfilled position. source