Plastic Surgery Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dabiophyz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been checking out the match lists for a lot of schools, and it doesn't seem like many have students matching into plastic surgery each year? Is it that there aren't many spots, or some other reason? Can anyone explain? Thanks

Also, what schools out there aren't top ranked but have great match lists: any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

i thought plastic surgery was a surgery subspecialty - wouldnt you have to match into general surgery and then do another fellowship after that for plastic?

Plastic surgery is its own speciality, but has very few spots. (It's probably also possible to get into it through general, but as I'm not interested in either, haven't put too much thought into it.) In general, I think higher ranked schools have better match lists but then there are always a few schools that match well within their own geographic locations. So if you don't get into a top school, aim to end up in the same state if not city of the residency programs you are interested in - you're more likely to get some useful networking in that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought plastic surgery was a surgery subspecialty - wouldnt you have to match into general surgery and then do another fellowship after that for plastic?
It is, but they have integrated plastics residencies that are few in number and uber competitive.

There are some spots through the NRMP. Most competitive specialty out there though!

So I have been checking out the match lists for a lot of schools, and it doesn't seem like many have students matching into plastic surgery each year? Is it that there aren't many spots, or some other reason? Can anyone explain? Thanks

Also, what schools out there aren't top ranked but have great match lists: any recommendations?

According to the AAMC there are only 82 plastic surgery positions available in the main match.