SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Plastic Surgery programs

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by dnt107, Oct 19, 2001.

1. dnt107

dnt107 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2001
    Anybody have any opinions, based on some semblance of knowledge, on what some of the reputable plastic surgery programs are? I'm just curious what the word of mouth views are around the country.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Are you asking about Integrated or Independent residency training programs? Some of the "biggies" are in Texas - UT Southwestern, Baylor and UTMB. Also Emory, UCLA, Duke and Pittsburgh would be considered "biggies" as well.

4. droliver

droliver Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

May 1, 2001
    The top three academic PRS programs by reputation in the country are usually noted to be:

1. NYU
    2. Southwestern Univ. (Dallas)
    3. UCLA or UCSF

A lot of this comes due to some of the Star faculty rather than as a reflection on the quality of the training itself.

5. draper

draper Member 7+ Year Member

May 2, 2001
    new haven
    Dnt,

As you know, reputations vary temporally and any chairman will have different opinions about which programs are among the best. That being said, the programs most frequently mentioned by reputation are:

nyu (largely because of mccarthy)
    emory
    pittsburgh
    michigan
    southwestern
    baylor
    ucla
    harvard combined program
    yale
    hopkins
    wash u

As previously pointed out however, reputations don't always translate into training. There are certain programs such as loma linda and siu, that don't carry the same reputations as those above yet provide phenomenal training according to residents I talked to on the trail.

6. aliraja

aliraja Troublemaker 10+ Year Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Does anyone know if there's a general trend towards cutting integrated programs out? I know that I've heard lots of rumors that our (Duke's) integrated program is going to be scraped (which means that our SEVEN year Gen Surg Program becomes the pre-req for Plastics), but I don't know if they're getting rid of similar programs across the country.

7. droliver

droliver Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

May 1, 2001
    aliraja,
    I don't know that its necessarily a trend per se, but several high profile programs have dropped their integrated programs in recent years (NYU,Emory, & most recently Duke Univ.) Most of the complaints I understand had to do with 1) instability of the program due to a high dropout rate & 2) the lack of preparedness of the residents after their preliminary years. Seeing as how the driving force for integrated programs is financial & that the economics haven't changed, it's unlikely that a large # of programs would drop their integrated program b/c they can't afford to.