plateau at 506-507 and not seeing improvement/retaking june 20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1020355

I have currently applied to TX schools bu have indicated that I am retaking June 20.
My first MCAT attempt was on January 18, 2020. I scored a 506.
Major deficiencies were CP and CARS after the first time.

After continuing study (breaking due to end-of-semester projects + COVID uncertainty), I took a month break.
I got back to studying the last three weeks and took an Altius full-length exam. I scored a 507.

As always, my study technique was this:
UWorld Qbank + AAMC questions. After every question, I attempt to understand both the concept tested and the logic of how the answer was obtained. Then, I anki the reasoning/concept/logic. If I see glaring deficiencies (I cannot understand the explanation provided by Uworld or AAMC), then I actively watch khan academy videos to really teach myself.

I just cannot understand why this approach is not reaping me any goods. Studying for the MCAT has been a steep battle against myself. I feel like beneath me there lies a treadmill that is constantly increasing its angle of inclination- up until I slip off of it. I am fighting against my IQ. Without my SSRI (applying for a medical school scholarship with the army), I feel even more unarmed against the throbbing pain of my own mediocrity. This is so difficult to me and I wish I had some guidance so that I could begin to glimpse at progress.

Members don't see this ad.

First, in my experience, Altius scores were deflated (I would average around 515 on their FL’s but ended up getting 520 on the AAMC FL’s and the actual test). Second, for C/P, if you’re losing points from definitions, then there’s nothing else but keep reviewing your Anki. If you’re losing points from data analysis, then you need to figure out a different way to approach problems (which will be hard since you have only 20 days left). For CARS, you just gotta keep doing passages every day and keep reviewing AAMC logic. IMO, as long as you finish on time and score a consistent score, that’s good enough. I wish you the best of luck, and don’t be disappointed that your Altius FL scores are not great.

First, in my experience, Altius scores were deflated (I would average around 515 on their FL’s but ended up getting 520 on the AAMC FL’s and the actual test). Second, for C/P, if you’re losing points from definitions, then there’s nothing else but keep reviewing your Anki. If you’re losing points from data analysis, then you need to figure out a different way to approach problems (which will be hard since you have only 20 days left). For CARS, you just gotta keep doing passages every day and keep reviewing AAMC logic. IMO, as long as you finish on time and score a consistent score, that’s good enough. I wish you the best of luck, and don’t be disappointed that your Altius FL scores are not great.
I'm just exhausted that nothing I do makes a difference

I'm just exhausted that nothing I do makes a difference
At this point, just keep doing what you’re doing. Have you used all your AAMC FL’s? What you get on AAMC FL4 should be similar to your score on the actual test. In fact, if your score on AAMC FL4 is not good, then you should postpone it and look for alternative strategies.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, just keep doing what you’re doing. Have you used all your AAMC FL’s? What you get on AAMC FL4 should be similar to your score on the actual test. In fact, if your score on AAMC FL4 is not good, then you should postpone it and look for alternative strategies.
Way past aamc FLs since I'm a retaker.

What is your Psych score? An easier way to get points is by memorizing the KA psych-soc document and doing Anki on psych-soc. Aim for +130 on that section specifically. you can see most points jump in that section.

I was in the same boat. And when you read a lot of advice and it seems not helpful it is definitely frustrating. Personally, what helped me jump 10 points in the matter of a week or two is after you take a test literally evaluate every single word in that test. Every right answer every wrong answer the logic the definitions the formulas. Literally even if you think you know why you got it right evaluate it. Retrace your logic. Know why you got the question right and know why you got it wrong. Keep a piece of paper and write down things that you need to work on and then when you are done reviewing go over those topics. you will realize that physics is pretty elementary, coming from a person that is god awful at physics. Cars I have no help whatsoever on. That is the one section that I do terrible on and I have literally not moved up whatsoever. Most of the chem and bio is really just being able to integrate everything and understanding the subjects holistically