Plateau Break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faxoflife

go texas
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else was seeing a plateau in their scores (Mine 32-34) and were taking their tests on January 31st and were preparing themselves for climaxing at the right time (test time)?

I just wanted to know how a person scoring 35-39 reviews their practice tests. What is the dialogue like going through the mind of a person like that?!

Members don't see this ad.

The first step to breaking through a score plateau is to have no content weaknesses going into the test. Lacking problem areas with an already solid testing ability will get you to a 36 (12 across the board). Getting into the 13 range consistently requires refining one's technique. 14 and 15 are the only section scores I consider to be somewhat luck based.

I don't think knowing what someone that gets a 36+ thinks will really help you. You need to develop your own dialogue from what works for you.

The first step to breaking through a score plateau is to have no content weaknesses going into the test. Lacking problem areas with an already solid testing ability will get you to a 36 (12 across the board). Getting into the 13 range consistently requires refining one's technique. 14 and 15 are the only section scores I consider to be somewhat luck based.

I don't think knowing what someone that gets a 36+ thinks will really help you. You need to develop your own dialogue from what works for you.

This is correct. :thumbup:

I too and am at plateau for my Jan 31st test...I have been consistently been getting 10-11 per section on atleast 5 different occasions. It is honestly starting to frustrate me. There has been only one instance of a 35.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also reached the 32-34 plateau and it's very annoying.

With 2.5 weeks to go until the test, I'm not sure what the best way to move forward is. On the one hand, there are definitely gaps in my knowledge: I can tell you right now that I never learned lenses/mirrors in physics and I still don't know it. However, I've gotten almost every light/optics question right in the last several tests because they just don't test is that much, and when they do, it's pretty easy.

The science questions that I'm getting wrong are just errors. They're not entirely careless, but they're not careful. Carefree, maybe? Anyway, I feel like if I only got those questions for which I didn't know the material wrong on the test, I'd be getting 35-40. What's killing me are my careless/carefree errors.

I've taken most of the AAMCs and none of the Kaplans. I'm tempted to just start doing a test every day from now on, but I suspect that's not the best idea.

yeah thats how i am too
when i go to princeton review online they have a different way of categorizing questions
and the past 2 exams ive taken i missed 4-6 questions that had the answers in the passage

maybe the next couple points is about having good habits lol

I've also reached the 32-34 plateau and it's very annoying.

With 2.5 weeks to go until the test, I'm not sure what the best way to move forward is. On the one hand, there are definitely gaps in my knowledge: I can tell you right now that I never learned lenses/mirrors in physics and I still don't know it. However, I've gotten almost every light/optics question right in the last several tests because they just don't test is that much, and when they do, it's pretty easy.

The science questions that I'm getting wrong are just errors. They're not entirely careless, but they're not careful. Carefree, maybe? Anyway, I feel like if I only got those questions for which I didn't know the material wrong on the test, I'd be getting 35-40. What's killing me are my careless/carefree errors.

I've taken most of the AAMCs and none of the Kaplans. I'm tempted to just start doing a test every day from now on, but I suspect that's not the best idea.

why don't you practice reading the questions then quickly try to repeat the gist of each question in your head. you'll quickly see if you are misreading/misinterpreting questions. also, just take an extra second on each question to make sure you checked the correct bubble (this only adds 1 min to the time you spend on the test, and if you aren't re-reading passages you should be finishing with time left anyway).

Edit: This is the method I used. Even still, you will make dumb mistakes on the MCAT. I think the only stuff I missed on the PS on the real thing was due to misinterpretation of a passage. I bombed all the questions for the whole first passage (and I figured out my mistake minutes after leaving the test) but must have aced the rest of it. Life goes on. The important thing is to BE CAREFUL and TAKE YOUR TIME. Slow and stead will prevent mistakes, and you will still have plenty of time. I promise.

Last edited: