Plateauing: advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futdoc251989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings. My exam is in less than 2 weeks (July 10th) and I think my progress is plateauing (NBME 17 score of 207 a week ago and NBME 19 score of 205 this week). Any suggestions on how I should tackle the final stretch before the exam would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on doing a lot more anki cards since I learn best through repetition. Also, how many more practice tests should I take and which ones should I take?

Members don't see this ad.

17 and 19 have very brutal curves so I would take those scores with a grain of salt. Otherwise spend the last 2 weeks focusing on your weak topics, and use UWSA2 as a much better guide for your score

Reactions: 1 user
19 historically is the worst predictor, as far as I know. 18 is supposed to be a good form to take (notice how it isn’t free?)

I forget where I saw the study, but a medical school collected data on which study methods increased step scores the most efficiently. The best results were seen in students that did a lot of practice questions. I think the data was every 10 practice questions you do increases your score by 1 point, and every 1000 Anki cards increases your score by 1 point.

I could have the exact numbers wrong, but the take home point was questions > Anki

Exam is nothing like NBME's and identical to Free120 and UWorld, so continue to grind out UW for best returns on test day