Plateauing right below 30. Test in a week!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remxed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My exam is on the 24th and I can't seem to break 30 points. I've taken Kaplan FLs 1-5 and AAMCs 3-9. Although there's a general upward trend for my scores, the last 2 AAMCs I've been stuck at 28.

I feel like I know most of the content by now (although there are always a few questions in Physical and Bio that I don't know at all). Either way, I don't think reviewing content this last week would be a good use of my time.

Does anyone have any good ideas or tips for what I can do in this last week? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you reviewed your exams and noted if there are any trends in the types of questions you are missing? It might be useful to do this and see if there are a few specific subject areas you may think you are clear on but really need to refresh on. How far apart have you taken the exams?

Yeah I'm going to go back this afternoon and look at areas where I've been losing points. I know that I'm pretty weak on acids and bases and a few other topics as well.

I took the Kaplan FLs during my course in July. And I took the AAMCs during these last 2 weeks.

@Merissa87 We can do it! We're so close! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Weak on acids and bases? Like incompletely dissociated? As in, having a low pKa?

Actually scratch that... I am now officially completely dissociated.:smack:

24th is coming!!!!!
but I'm in the same position too. been getting 26~29 these days..

are you guys gonna void the test if anything?
are you guys planning to finish this once and for all?
planning to retake if not satisfied with your scores? what's the score you'll be satisfied that you wont retake?

ah. getting nervous!!!!

I really need to get into the low-mid 30s (preferably mid 30s lol).

By the way it's looking right now.. I may take it on the 24th and void my score and then take it again in January.

But there's still about a week left so I'm not going to give up just yet.

You should review your tests at least once over. Then, you should go over any information that you feel was a weakness for you on your practice test. Use your old textbooks, wikipedia, etc. Focus on the basics. Know the physics formulas and understand them. Be confident.

So I went over some of my previous exams and did AAMC FL 10 today.. and got a 29 (10, 9, 10). Isn't AAMC 10 supposed to be the hard one?

Either way, I'm really torn about whether I should void my score next week. One of my friends took the 7/16 mcat and got a 31. He had only taken 5 kaplan FLs before and had a high score of a 29.

Should I just go for it next week and hope for the best.. or void and take it again in January?

I would say go go go for it! it would be great experience anyways taking the 'real' mcat...

@everyone: same position, I am in! we can do it!

honestly i was plateauing too for a while and heres what enabled me to break it and go up 2/3 points (its not much but its enough):
i stopped freaking out when i encountered questions that i didnt know. instead of letting it upset me and instead of letting a question consume time, i forced myself to mark it, pick some sort of reasonable answer for the time being and move on to collect as many points as i could rightfully get in the quickest amount of time. then if i had time id go back. if not, whatever, its just one point.

So I went over some of my previous exams and did AAMC FL 10 today.. and got a 29 (10, 9, 10). Isn't AAMC 10 supposed to be the hard one?

Either way, I'm really torn about whether I should void my score next week. One of my friends took the 7/16 mcat and got a 31. He had only taken 5 kaplan FLs before and had a high score of a 29.

Should I just go for it next week and hope for the best.. or void and take it again in January?

AAMC 10 is not regarded as one of the difficult exams. It is, however, believed to be an accurate representation of the current MCAT.

That your score is balanced helps you. That you now have good familiarity with actual MCAT questions, helps you. That you prepared well, helps you. If you remain confident and don't freak out, you're in great shape. Remember that the majority of test-takers do not have all of the above, and you do.

Do not worry about voiding at all. Only void if you miss several passages and/or are forced to blindly guess on many questions. To consider voiding already is to accept failure before giving yourself a chance.