"Play like a Champion Today"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I grew up playing sports, and something my coaches said in high school football always stuck with me: that if you want to be a champion, play like a champion every day, especially the off-season, and keep your eye on the prize. What do you guys do to keep your eyes on the goal of becoming a doctor, in order to motivate your daily actions to levels that they need to be to get there?

Members don't see this ad.

I grew up playing sports, and something my coaches said in high school football always stuck with me: that if you want to be a champion, play like a champion every day, especially the off-season, and keep your eye on the prize. What do you guys do to keep your eyes on the goal of becoming a doctor, in order to motivate your daily actions to levels that they need to be to get there?

I too also remember a saying that my coaches told me during hard practices. "Take it like a champ." Not sure if that is appropriate for certain situations, but it means to grind it out and to endure the suffering. There are times where I feel like jumping infront of a train, but I know that I need to study that extra hour and forgo any potentially illegal activities with young college girls in order to do well in my academics. The desire and my need to be a doctor is the source of fuel that gets me going.

For me, SDN has been a source of inspiration and neuroticism at the same time. You get to read about those super stars applicants and then you feel like **** because you think you're never gonna get into med school. As consequence I like to think that I have stepped up my game....we'll see:)

Members don't see this ad :)

I used to play sports as well! My coach used to tell us something when we were running suicides/sprints that even now really drives me to work hard and push myself. He said, suffer now, and then live the rest of your life like a champion. I think Muhammad Ali was the original source of it, but it helps me remember that all these struggles will in the end, be worth it. :)

For me, SDN has been a source of inspiration and neuroticism at the same time. You get to read about those super stars applicants and then you feel like **** because you think you're never gonna get into med school. As consequence I like to think that I have stepped up my game....we'll see:)

This

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I used to play sports as well! My coach used to tell us something when we were running suicides/sprints that even now really drives me to work hard and push myself. He said, suffer now, and then live the rest of your life like a champion. I think Muhammad Ali was the original source of it, but it helps me remember that all these struggles will in the end, be worth it. :)

Ya, that was Ali :) Awesome quote. Thanks.

Ask yourself every day," what am I going to do today to set my self apart from every other applicant."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Lol I used to play football too! All the way up to freshman year in college.

I still remember something my high school coach told me the summer before sophomore year. He asked me if I was going to be great, and Idk what I answered. And he said, "JCTWP46, you have to believe that you are going to be great. Because if you don't believe you're going to be great, then who is?". I think he was talking about more than football and its something that has stuck with me since.

He also made me look up the definition of the word mentality and put it on my mirror at home. Thats something else that has stuck with me for a long time. A lot of people didn't like him as a coach and actually filed a lawsuit and got him fired for actions that I never saw take place. But, I really liked him and thought he was great. He's somewhere else in the state now coaching at a big, successful high school.

Lol I used to play football too! All the way up to freshman year in college.

I still remember something my high school coach told me the summer before sophomore year. He asked me if I was going to be great, and Idk what I answered. And he said, "JCTWP46, you have to believe that you are going to be great. Because if you don't believe you're going to be great, then who is?". I think he was talking about more than football and its something that has stuck with me since.

He also made me look up the definition of the word mentality and put it on my mirror at home. Thats something else that has stuck with me for a long time. A lot of people didn't like him as a coach and actually filed a lawsuit and got him fired for actions that I never saw take place. But, I really liked him and thought he was great. He's somewhere else in the state now coaching at a big, successful high school.

Good stuff. Yea, it seems like a lot of football coaches have character flaws that get them in trouble lol but I loved all of my coaches anyway. Thanks for the reply.