Play The Game- Osteo/ Allo Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SIMRAN111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at 9 EM osteo, 3 EM/IM osteo and one allo EM- since this is close to home and for personal reasons I really want to be home for residency.
I really want the allo program bz not only it is top notch but it is at home. How did people who interviewed at both allo and osteo rank their list. I do understand it is stupid not to rank the 12 osteo programs for one program but is there a way around it..

Some of the osteo programs are simply awesome but for personal reasons, I do not want to stay away from home for 4 more years. But at the same time there are so many people who do not match in EM and I do not want to be one of them.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If your are a DO.
The match for Osteo is done / complete. Then you join the MD match a month later (if your are still unclaimed).
You really can't play them against each other.
If you want the Allo bad enough, you basically skip the Osteo match, then hope

No going back (unless you scramble)

I interviewed at 9 EM osteo, 3 EM/IM osteo and one allo EM- since this is close to home and for personal reasons I really want to be home for residency.
I really want the allo program bz not only it is top notch but it is at home. How did people who interviewed at both allo and osteo rank their list. I do understand it is stupid not to rank the 12 osteo programs for one program but is there a way around it..

Some of the osteo programs are simply awesome but for personal reasons, I do not want to stay away from home for 4 more years. But at the same time there are so many people who do not match in EM and I do not want to be one of them.

thanks

It depends, where is the allo em program? I've heard of osteo students who are applying to both that go to the pd be very clear with and ask for advice from them. (aka - give me a solid hint if I should drop out of the osteo match or else you've lost me because I'm not willing to not match for you) Some programs have offered spots to osteo students outside the match - but it's very rare.

are any of the osteo programs close to home? at least closer to home that you might consider?

how many residents does the allo EM program take and are you a strong candidate there? how was the interview? what is your gut feeling about matching there?

if you skip the osteo match, and not match in the allo program, which of those osteo programs can you scramble into?