Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

playing catch-up!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by QuietStorm, Aug 10, 2000.

1. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi. I would like to know what you think my chances are of getting into a medical school. I messed up during my 2nd and 3rd semesters, especially since I was so confused about what to major in. Anyway, I'll be a junior in the fall and my GPA is a 3.553. I'll be starting my hospital volunteer work in the fall as well. Is that enough? I don't really have a lot of extracurricular activities. What is the most constructive way that I could take for the last two years that I have since I want to apply right away after college? Oh yeah, I don't even have two years, right? Deadlines usually start in June? I'm just really nervous since I feel so late when it comes to everything!!

2. RL@UT

[email protected] Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't panic!!!!
    3.5 still "puts you n the running--in the eyes of many adcoms, and good, relevant hospital experience (e.g. more than an ER
    urine sample courier for three months) can't hurt.
    But just keep this in mind: MCAT MCAT MCAT!!!!

Strong scores, plus the strengths that you are already offering will get you through this process.

--It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

RL Stevenson

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child
    10+ Year Member

1) why would you consider an above average gpa bad ?

2) there's nothing wrong with volunteering in the ER. I volunteer in an ER, and only once carried urine. I spend more time watching doctors in action and if running an errand, watching the doctors in the other departments in action. I wasn't an applicant off the street though, I was recommended from vip's inside the hospital... maybe others are forced to carry urine, but that's a misconception. yes, people have to pee, and sometimes they can't go to a bathroom, buts that's 1 of an infinite amount of things that happen in a level 1 trauma.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Quiet Storm -- Relax, you don't need to start worrying yet, but it is good that you are concerned. You still have lots of time. Definitely concentrate on your MCAT -- you should probably be shooting for at least a 30 to keep you in the competitive running. If you have the opportunity, definitely try to get in some volunteering -- it comes up over and over again on applications! The ER is good, but, depending on your school location, try looking into some free community clinics and maybe Planned Parenthood clinics. Typically these services strongly rely on volunteers, which could allow you to get higher quality hands-on experience. Even if it's not totally health-care related, just try to volunteer somewhere -- AdComs really look for this because a physician has to be committed to serving the community -- that is their number one role. Also, again depending on your undergrad school, you might consider working in a research lab. In some cases you can get course credit for those hours, which helps to beef up your GPA, plus you get experience in academic medicine, which is another big area AdComs like to look for. Hope this helps and good luck -- you will be fine!

5. RL@UT

[email protected] Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Whoa!!! You ARE the LIMIT....when I referred to the courier thing--urine courier was only an example--I meant that at that level, there is a limited amount of stuff that you might be expected to be involved with and that that position offers a very wide variety of learning experiences for those who are so motivated.

My POINT was that if you show that gumption to do MORE than what is expected of you, this cannot hurt the impression that you might make on, say, an adcom in the future!!!
    [didn't mean to p*ss anyone off... [​IMG]]

------------------
    ----It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

RL Stevenson