SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

PLAYING THE WAITING GAME.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DO2BSOON, Dec 17, 1999.

1. DO2BSOON

DO2BSOON New Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Olathe, KS, USA
    HI everybody......

I am reltively new to this web site but I was hoping someone could answer some of my questions.......

I am currently waiting for possible interviews at the D.O. schools in Kansas City and Des Moines.....currently I am working as an internet service administrator.....I have had over 3 years of medical experience at various hospitals and with various osteopathic physicians......should I be doing something medically related at this time while I wait for an interview.......my work schedule is very demanding ...but if needed I could squeeze in some time for more medical experience.......please help someone???????

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dave

Dave Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Salt Lake, UT USA
    Most likely any activities you start now won't make much of a difference in how qualified you are this year, however if you don't get in it would help for applying next year.

I've looked into volunteering at three different hospitals and they all have similar scheldules: four hour shifts, once a week. One hospital also had "alternates" that were basically on call to come in if another volunteer couldn't make it. This is a good way to get more experience w/o having to spend a ton of time there.

You could also look into getting EMT certified, the class I took was fun and interesting, however time consuming (20hrs/week for two months).

4. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Michigan
    Dave's correct. Anything you do now really isn't going to make that much difference. If your secondaries are already submitted then you can't add or subtract info from it. What's done is done. You might want to start picking up some occasional volunteer work soon, so that you'll be a better applicant for next year (if necessary).

------------------
    DocGibby
    MSUCOM class of 2004

5. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 9, 1999
    AZCOM
    DO2BSOON,

There IS one thing you can do to help you increase you chances for an interview at KC. Find an alumnus/a of the school and get them to write you a letter. It doesn't have to be a great letter, just one that's at least respectful and complementary.

KC views alumni letters VERY favorably and it may turn out to be exactly what you need to push you into the interview pile.

------------------
    Phillip Snider, MS, RD
    UNECOM '04
    Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.