Plea to SDN to Help Waitlisted People

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WantonLecher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, congratulations to everyone and their well-deserved acceptances!!

I do have a small favor to ask which really would help immensely for those who are waitlisted.

I myself am waitlisted at UConn, and needless to say, there are many other deserving folks in this tough situation at other schools.

I just wanted to toss a friendly reminder to SDN, to please kindly submit updates to the schools, which you may have offers or interviews from, and are 100% sure you are not attending, of your decision, as soon as possible.

What that will directly do, is allow those on the agonizing wait-lists at various schools to be re-considered immediately in most cases. Even before the 30/45 day deposits are placed.

As we ALL know so well, waiting even half a second to hear from schools is not pleasant. It drastically effects one's psyche and body, and of those around them for the worst.

I implore to you, future colleagues, after celebrating your achievements and the fireworks have settled, please think about the rest of us, and most kindly, and as soon as time permits, notify the dental schools that you are sure you will not attend about your decision.

Oh, to make it clear this post isn't about PUSHING anyone to "hurry up with their choice" AT ALL. Take as long as you need to make the best decision. This post is just to remind us (in our busy lives) on SDN that this can help those who are wait-listed.

In light of that, I think everyone would appreciate if its kept out of any irrelevant flame-wars. Please, take those privately, and if this post annoys you..just ignore it.

The bottom line is, this thread existing (for this year, too) is better than nothing for us wait-listers.

I'm just going to bump this thread occasionally if it seems to be drowning. Be happy!!!

Thanks, and the best regards,

-WL

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did withdrawn ASAP. My parents think that i am crazy because there are so much time left to decide
But i am a reapplicant and last year i went through the same suffering so i totally feel you guys.

Good luck to everyone out there

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, thank you! Exemplifying that actions speak louder than words. :)

Last edited:
Withdrawn from Kentucky
Good luck to you all.

Withdrawn from Kentucky
Good luck to you all.

Wow. This post comes up every year and the normal responses are "STFU! I'll take as long as I please." Then there are 50 million posts of some school versus another until May when the deadline comes and schools can see where you put deposits.

Wow. This post comes up every year and the normal responses are "STFU! I'll take as long as I please." Then there are 50 million posts of some school versus another until May when the deadline comes and schools can see where you put deposits.

Yeah its been pretty civil so far, kind of impressive.

Yeah its been pretty civil so far, kind of impressive.

Quite perceptive! However, please notice the careful wording in my original post to avoid precisely what Aceofspades was referring too. Not exactly the same post that pops every year, then. Is it? :)

Oh, to make it clear this post isn't about PUSHING anyone to "hurry up with their choice" AT ALL. Take as long as you need to make the best decision. This post is just to remind us (in our busy lives) on SDN that this can help those who are wait-listed.

In light of that, I think everyone would appreciate if its kept out of any irrelevant flame-wars. Please, take it privately, and if this post annoys you, just ignore it.

The bottom line is, this thread existing (for this year, too) is better than nothing for us wait-listers.

I'm just going to bump this thread occasionally if it seems to be drowning. Be happy!!!

Last edited:
lol, I thought you (OP) would get attacked too. Glad you didn't though!!

To make you feel better about those holding on to multiple seats, it seems that many schools have post-December interviews. This means that they have to meet again for a committee meeting and talk about all the new applicant and pre-December applicants. But in reality, how could a committee have this meeting pre-January 15th? I would bet they meet on January 15th and go over the number of seats available and the people that they want to add/etc.

My point is, who cares if they hold on to the seat until 1/15 because the school cannot even give it to you IF they did a bunch of December and January interviews. Right? Just some thoughts, might not be accurate.

But who knows, anyone have an idea how this process works post-December?

lol, I thought you (OP) would get attacked too. Glad you didn't though!!

To make you feel better about those holding on to multiple seats, it seems that many schools have post-December interviews. This means that they have to meet again for a committee meeting and talk about all the new applicant and pre-December applicants. But in reality, how could a committee have this meeting pre-January 15th? I would bet they meet on January 15th and go over the number of seats available and the people that they want to add/etc.

My point is, who cares if they hold on to the seat until 1/15 because the school cannot even give it to you IF they did a bunch of December and January interviews. Right? Just some thoughts, might not be accurate.

But who knows, anyone have an idea how this process works post-December?

Yeah, what you say may be very well true at some schools, although I don't know which ones. For some schools (UConn), they are offering no more interviews. In this case, it would definitely help moving things along.

It's just that nothing is really standard when it comes to how schools do their admissions. Each school does em' differently, obviously, but even between cycles at the same school, they may change their policies.

Applicants have it tough because of this. What little information they can rely on from so called "insider sources" can become obsolete overnight, on the whim of the adcom. And those who are eagerly awaiting that first acceptance, at this point of the game, and on, have it the hardest.

Because we can rely on so little concrete information to base our chances on, I think it's good that at least, among ourselves, we can ask for help on SDN.

Last edited:
Yeah, what you say may be very well true at some schools, although I don't know which ones. For some schools (UConn), they are offering no more interviews. In this case, it would definitely help moving things along.

Oh yes, I see your reasoning now. Are you high on that waiting list? I didn't apply to any schools that have a waiting list like that. My schools that I might get wait listed at have "unranked" waiting lists or tiny waiting lists that don't move. I'm post December for two schools, so I feel your pain a little.

The thing about the multiple school people, if they got into their first choice (their dream school), the decision is easy. But if they got into 2 and 3, well...then they have to weigh out all the details. I get it. Once you decline, it's so final.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yes, I see your reasoning now. Are you high on that waiting list? I didn't apply to any schools that have a waiting list like that. My schools that I might get wait listed at have "unranked" waiting lists or tiny waiting lists that don't move. I'm post December for two schools, so I feel your pain a little.

The thing about the multiple school people, if they got into their first choice (their dream school), the decision is easy. But if they got into 2 and 3, well...then they have to weigh out all the details. I get it. Once you decline, it's so final.

Yeah, this is what I can't stress more. No way would I ever encourage anyone to make this decision in haste (although, I don't see anyone actually doing it, only use it to spearhead an attack in one of these threads :laugh:).

I think the KEY words the OP used that didn't annoy people so far are "100% sure you are not attending."

withdrew from marquette & case :)

Speaking of the waitlist, I do have a question about that topic though. So if you're on the waitlist THIS early on in the process. Does that mean you won't be considered again until the school is done interviewing for the cycle, or you are still under consideration as the school is interviewing into Jan, Feb, and March?

I think, that depends on the school, it would be best to ask them imo.

Withdrew immediately from Indiana and USC. Prolly will withdraw from Temple this week.

OP, you deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for how well written your plea was... I'm sure somebody out there tried to attack you but couldn't find anything to hold against you :)

No, seriously... kudos. :thumbup:

Withdrew from Western, Case, BU, UConn, and Pitt.

Good luck and hopefully you'll be posting on the ***HOLY CRAP OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED THIS SCHOOL ROCKS*** threads soon! :D

Going to decline offers from Minnesota and Case.

after my check gets deposited for Louisville, I will be withdrawing from OSU, Indiana, and Midwestern

I withdrew my app from Minnesota and UDMercy so 2 interview spots will be open. I am waiting for a check to clear at the school I decided to attend and then I will immediately withdraw from other 3 schools that offered me a spot. Good luck

Cancelled my Dec interviews at...

UDM
UNLV
Western

Hopefully that can open up some spots for people who haven't gotten in yet. Best of luck everyone.

withdrew from Case yesterday. hope that makes someone out there hopeful!

withdrew from Case yesterday. hope that makes someone out there hopeful!

I withdrew the rest of my applications in the cycle except for NYU and UCLA. NOT THAT I am gonna get interviews at the schools I withdrew, but that's 1 less candidates they have to consider for an interview.

Withdrew from U of Havana, Port Au Prince and Tiajuana. Accepted at Caracas:thumbup:

cancelled my Nova interview. Stay strong guys, you'll all get in!

withdrew from midwestern, western, nyu

withdrawing from USC as soon as Louisville gets my deposit. Good luck everyone!

Bumping this thread as I hope to hear from another schools before dropping the $500 deposit at Penn :).

Bumping this thread as I hope to hear from another schools before dropping the $500 deposit at Penn :).

I am surprised a private school like Penn only requires $500 for its down deposit.

Just withdrew my interviews at Nova, Tufts, and UNLV yesterday. I hope someone gets a call soon for an interview!! Good luck everyone:xf:

withdrew tufts, western, illinois, osu, michigan
go buffalo!

good luck

Hang in there guys.
I want to withdraw from my other acceptances, but I'm still waiting for the school to deposit my check.

Declined MWU acceptance.
Will have to wait on others until my check and paperwork clears up.

Withdrew OOS Louisville acceptance and apps from VCU and Creighton. Good luck!

Withdrawing from Case, Indiana, and Western. Good luck guys/gals, I wish everyone the best and good news in the near future! :xf:

Thank you to everyone who is reading this and participating!

Withdrew from Tufts and cancelled interview at Midwestern. Good luck everyone!!

I cancelled my interviews at BU and Western. Good luck everyone!