Please advice, International PhD degree holder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

v1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Glad to be a part of this active group. I needed advice on how should i start here. I have done my PhD Psychology from India and have got 12 years of experience as trainer and manager,I have done my M.Sc in Child psychology hence i want to pursue to become a school psychologist, but being an international degree holder I don't know how to move about with the process. Now I am here in NJ. What should i do next , how do I get my licence or start my work here. I would be obliged if could get the best possible path .

Thank you so much in advance. I really appreciate it.

v1234

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Glad to be a part of this active group. I needed advice on how should i start here. I have done my PhD Psychology from India and have got 12 years of experience as trainer and manager,I have done my M.Sc in Child psychology hence i want to pursue to become a school psychologist, but being an international degree holder I don't know how to move about with the process. Now I am here in NJ. What should i do next , how do I get my licence or start my work here. I would be obliged if could get the best possible path .

v1234

I would start by contacting the state board of psychology:

http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/psy/

Call or send them an email describing your situation and see what you have to do to apply for license here. Good Luck!

Hi everyone,

v1234

You may need a respecialization program in school psychology and do a one-year supervised school psychology internship in a school setting. You may have an easier time getting licensed-certified to practice school psychology, as a doctoral degree is not required. NASP criteria for school psychology certification is a MS degree plus an additional 30 hours above the MS degree or the equivalient of an EdS degree. Normally 60-65 academic credits with school based credits and a one year 1800 hour internship. There are many school psychology programs that evaluate your prior credits and develop a curriculum needed to become nationally certified and eligible for State school psychology certification.

Since you live in NJ, my guess is there are many respecialization programs in school psychology for students similar to yourself. I would contact the State School Psychological Association to get advice. I know little about NJ but I believe Rutgers University most likely has a respcialiation program in school psychology. I believe Fairleigh Dickenson University has a respecialization program in school psychology. Many of the NASP leaders are from NJ and my bet is that if you contacted NASP they would be able to give you advice and suggestions on respecialization.

I checked out Fairleigh Dickenson University and they do have a MA plus credential school psychology program where they evaluate your previous course work and design a program where you may become eligible for certification in School Psychology in New Jersey. Fairleigh Dickenson is one of the higher rated school psychology programs and many of NASP leaders graduated from this program.

Last edited:
Thank you G costanza and 4410. I am contacting state board psychology.

4410 your insights are very good. I am contacting the Fairleigh Dickenson University to send them my transcripts. But so if they only require my Masters, would they not consider my PhD ?.Please do let me know & i've been told extrenship might be required. But most of the people here are telling me that is the most difficult to get. Can i get more insight on internship or externship , as to which area i should try looking in where i might get it quickest eg hospitals or schools etc . And thirdly , I am not aware of the opportunities for school psychologist in USA. Is it in demand and have career progress or what is the statistics of demands of school psychologists. If i could advice on all these points i would be in better position to progress towards my goals.
A big thank you 4410