Please advice: Will I be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowy

Will I ever be a doctor?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scared I won't get into any U.S. MD schools. Seriously! I really want to be a doctor!

About me:
-cGPA = 3.4, but will be ~3.45 after my final semester
-sGPA = 3.2, but will be ~3.3 after my final semester
-MCAT = 12PS 9V 11BS and M for writing
-I go to a top 20 undergrad university
-Lots of volunteer work and other EC experience, but nothing that special
-Good research, should be getting published
-Recs??
-Planning on taking a year off to be a research assistant, which is when I'll apply to medical school

Questions:
1. If I apply to all of the easier to get into medical schools, will I get in anywhere?
2. Should I RETAKE my MCAT? I was scoring 30-36 on practice tests, and I was devastated to receive this score. I know it's typically fine, but I wanted to somewhat make up for my low gpa.
3. Will the M in writing hurt me?
4. Any other advice for what I should do?

Advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm scared I won't get into any U.S. MD schools. Seriously! I really want to be a doctor!

About me:
-Recs??
-Planning on taking a year off to be a research assistant, which is when I'll apply to medical school

Questions:
1. If I apply to all of the easier to get into medical schools, will I get in anywhere?
2. Should I RETAKE my MCAT? I was scoring 30-36 on practice tests, and I was devastated to receive this score. I know it's typically fine, but I wanted to somewhat make up for my low gpa.

Advice? Thanks!

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. Calm down

Thanks! Anyone else. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I read your words, and I believe that you believe that they're true, but I'm not so sure.

I read your words, and I believe that you believe that they're true, but I'm not so sure.

It's just a scary process; even people with crazy-good stats get worried.

OP, I think you have a decent shot of getting in, but as you seem to know, there are no guarantees. So just do your best with however much time you have left and try and raise your GPA as much as you can, then cross your fingers and hope it's enough!

Good luck!

Apply DO. You've indicated an interest in US MD schools, and I think you should go for it, but be prepared to possibly not get in. If you really want to be a doctor as badly as you say, osteopathic schools should be a viable option.

About me:
-Recs??

Questions:

Advice? Thanks!

Frankly, your GPA is below the average for pretty much every school out there, and your MCAT doesn't really make up for it. If you can (emphasis on the IF you can), then I'd say improving your MCAT score is your best bet on improving your odds. Otherwise, unless your ECs are mindblowing, I think admission to any US MD school is going to be difficult--not impossible, but difficult.

Is there anything on your application that would make someone want to meet you? Is there a strong upward trend? How do your past 2 years look grad-wise?

Based on numbers alone, i think it will be difficult, but you could get some love. If you have an interesting application with outstanding recs and essays, I think you can get an interview.

If you are an average pre-med with the usual resume, then you should work on balancing out your MCAT and showing strength in science.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

My grades have gone up every year (3.0, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8). I'm trying to make myself standout, have been doing lots of ECs and interesting research, but nothing that unique. I will spend a long time working on my PS, hopefully it will turn out well. I want to go to an MD school, I plan to do research later, although I know DO can do research too. I should get good recs, not quite sure who to ask yet. My possibilities are:
1) Physics prof - 2 A's, don't know that well
2) Bio prof - A-, good relationship from class
3) Bio prof - A, good relationship from class
4) Non-science prof - 2 A's, good relationship
5) Doctor I research with - known him for a year, should give me an outstanding re
6) Other doctor I research with - could ask her too
7) Former boss for 3 summers - would give amazing rec
8) Volunteer boss for 2 years - would give amazing rec
9) Most recent volunteer boss for 1 year - would give amazing rec

Who do I ask? 6 of them?

If you really want to be a doctor, get a good MCAT score and apply broadly.

I hope you have considered becoming a DO. With your numbers, you have a better chance with DO schools and you still get to be a doctor! (I will probably choose DO when the time comes, even though my numbers will be competitive for MD)