Please advise me on Gap Year ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zbtb7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a graduating senior. I found a full time research tech job and I'm planning on applying to dental schools this summer. I'm planning on applying broadly but ideally I'd like to attend a research-focused school that would give me the chance to enter academia.

Would I be able to get into a top (i.e. Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA) dental school with my current stats and ECs? This is what I have so far:
-3.9+ science and nonscience GPA, 23AA.
-160 hours of shadowing between two general dentists and a periodontist.
-180 hours of shadowing at a hospital with patient interaction.
-1000 hours of basic sciences research in the summers with a publication.
- Went on a week long service mission abroad to teach oral hygiene.
- Biology TA, notetaker, tutor.
- Member of a few clubs, gave a few oral health presentations to inner city schoolchildren.

I'm planning on doing more community service on the side while I'm working to reinforce my candidacy if I don't get in my first cycle. I'll be conducting research for my gap year job but I don't think I'll be able to get another publication out of it.

I'm thinking about volunteering at a hospice because it would allow me to interact with patients and improve my patient care ability. On the other hand, I could volunteer at a low-income dental clinic which may allow me to assist but wouldn't allow the same degree of interaction with patients.

If I had to choose one, which would you recommend? Could you please suggest other things I could do during my gap year to strengthen my candidacy for top schools in case I don't get in this year? I think the the only gaps in my application at this point is the absence of leadership experience.

Thank you so much for your help!
-Zbtb7

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just can't stand this type of trolling, stop wasting ppl time and the forum's space with this kind of garbage!! Get the F*&% outta here

Sonny-From your post history, it seems you're a high school senior. You've been consistently giving advice to people on this board which to me seems like the blind leading the blind. I think you should "Get the F*&% outta here" as you have no experience upon which to justify your advice. I'm looking for input for students who have gone through the application process, not a boy who hasn't attended a single college lecture. That said, welcome to my ignore list. :)

A statement for everyone else: I'M NOT TROLLING! Check my post history. I've been active for years with the same profile, same strengths, and the same worries. My college's prehealth adviser focuses primarily on premeds so as a predent, I'm dependent on SDN for information.

I appreciate any input on my current chances and on how I can make myself a better applicant and/or prepare myself to be a better practicing dentist. Please be critical and suggest activities if you can. I'm aiming for research-oriented schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hm tough case.

Generally people will low GPA's do an SMP of some sort. Might want to look into that. Or you can just stay another year at your university and KILL the classes, you want 4.0 from here on out, admissions committees like to see upward trends.

Also your DAT makes me worry somewhat, try to look at some breakdowns on here and copy how they studied.

If your interested in good research/academic schools think about Princeton or Yale dental schools, but I would work on your GPA first.

Good luck.

C'mon give me some real input. Here's the deal:

I'm going to be working full time. My numbers are fine. I know that. I'm not trying to troll with my numbers. At this point I can't improve on that aspect of my application. I want to do more extracurriculars because at this point it's the only way I can improve as a candidate and prepare to be a better health professional.

Cut the sarcasm. I'm referring to research oriented schools as in Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA, Michigan, UNC...

Now were talking. You should mention specifically (i.e Harvard) in your original post, saying "can I get into dental school" with those numbers was begging for a stupid reply.

I think calling the school and getting a direct response would be most beneficial. Your asking how a top 5% student can get into top 1%, most of the people here probably are not in the position to give you good advice at that point. The school itself might hint you in the right direction, but overall I think your strong enough to go anywhere, everything at this point would depend on your interview.

Thanks for your reply FistLength. I made the changes you recommended to my opening post.

I'm only applying to research oriented schools. Is there a system to apply directly to DDS/PhD programs (i.e. a dental counterpart to MSTP)? Could you guys please recommend other things I should do to make myself more competitive for top schools?