Please advise me

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by NMH2001, Aug 17, 2002.

1. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

Here is my problem and I am looking for advice from anyone who can help. I have a 3.6 post bacc GPA, 3.44 cum. Great Ec's, etc... The problem is a got a 22Q on the April MCAT. 5V,8P,9B. I was going to retake this sat but did not due to being ill.

I am wondering if it is even worth sending in secondaries with that 5 in verbal. I will with no doubt retake in April but that will be for next years app cycle. Should I send in the secondaries or save my money and wait until next year?

Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Check the minimum requirements for the schools you are applying to. However, with a 22 (especially with a 5 in verbal) and a 3.4 GPA it's not likely that you'll get in anywhere (even with great ECs). :(

I guess it just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. Since you've already paid for AACOMAS, maybe you can pick a few schools secondaries that you're willing to risk some $ on. There's always a chance that you'll luck out an get in somewhere.

4. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma

5. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member

I wouldnt totally give up. There have been people getting into DO schools with scores like that. I dont remember the name of the guy but a few weeks ago I read that some guy already go an acceptance with a 22. So out of all seriousness, you really do have a chance.

6. tigerlily

tigerlily Member

NMH2001!!!

do NOT give up,,,surely apply. i know someone who has a 24 MCAT (6V, 9P, 9P, QW) and already has interviews from 9 of the 14 schools applied to this year. granted this person has great EC's too,,,and most definitely awesome letters of recommendation,,,but anyone can achieve those with a bit of effort, time, and committment.

if you really want this,,,i have NO doubt whatsoever you'll get interviews. once you get interviews,,,it's all about who you are and how you present yourself that will either make or break you!

another thing,,,a 5 in verbal could be slightly overlooked if you had, say, A's in your english and composition classes. keep that in mind too.

lastly, just be sure to check with a your top schools regarding any minimum score cutoff requirements they may have...i do NOT have a clue about this,,,but have read other people's statements saying some schools have a cutoff of 5...DO schools at least.

you'll do GREAT,,,knock em over and show them what you've got....and if anyone asks you why you didn't retake the MCATS at an interview,,,tell them you were sick,,,but want to get into medicine ASAP,,,but if need be,,,you'll surely retake them next year and reapply. that sounds like what you're thinking, so tell the honest truth,,,it will count somewhere with someone.

keep us updated. these are only my opinions and experiences,,,i'm surely not an expert

anyone else have advice?

good luck!

7. mohody

mohody Member

Don't give up. I got a 24 on the MCAT (7V, 7PS, 10BS) and a 3.34 GPA and have already been accepted.

8. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member

Go ahead and apply ,you have nothing to loose besides few hundred dollars.I know people with score below 20 who are accepted. Goodluck:)

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

a 22 is definitely not out of range for DO schools..

I know several sub-20 MCAT people with acceptances to DO schools, and 22 is regular among the DO acceptances I know. Good luck! :)

10. kappapiomega

kappapiomega Member

I totally agree!!!!

I have a 22 Q (9V,6P,7B) and couldn't retake in August either so keep your head up. I have three interviews already!!!! I am just going to show those interveiwers that I am not just a number, I am a person with perseverance and drive and that I will not give up until accepted!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!!!! HAHAHA!!!!
    Good Luck!!!

Vanessa

11. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member

My April MCAT was a 9BS, 8VR, WS-Q, but a hideous 6 in PS.
    My science GPA (undergrad and postbaac) is a 3.1, and my total GPA (undergrad and masters) is a 3.47. So far I have interviews at AZCOM and TUCOM, and it is only mid-Sept. I did take the August '02 MCAT and a few schools said they are waiting for those results. I have come a long way since freshman year when I had a 2.2 my first semester. I cant believe I am interviewing for medical schools. So I say keep the faith and hang in there! It is all about perseverance.