Please assist me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am looking at various medical schools around the country and am trying to decide where to apply. Everything sounds well and good until I observe the cost of everything. When I enter medical school, I will be a 20-something with virtually no money. How in the world am I supposed to come up with that amount of money for 4 years??? Everytime I apply for federal aid, the gov't says my parents mae too much money, so how am I do deal with that?? Can someone explain these MEDLOANS to me? Should I even consider med school at all?

Members don't see this ad.

when you apply for financial aid (loans) for med school, you'll be considered independent from your parents. the form will ask for your parents' info ... but that's just to determine your eligibility for school scholarships.

Most everyone I know, financed their med school education through loans, regardless of their parents' wealth or lack of wealth. So this should not be your primary reason for not pursuing medeicine.

MEDloans are just one of the many lenders who processes federal stafford loans, and offers alternative loans for students who need more than the maximum stafford loan amount.

You will not be excluded from getting loans because of your parents income. Don't worry about the cost until after you see your financial aid packages from different schools. Do try and save up your money now for interview costs though, expect to spend ~5,000 for interviews and application fees.