please b more honest...which practice tests/prep materials are closer to aprils?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why ppl BS their scores....does it make your real score better? no...obviously....and you wont make us feel proud of u...we dont know you......i mean think about it...if u look at the statistics....which i did a while back to see where ppl's scores are and to comapre myself....38 and above puts you in the 99% percentile....are u saying that all those ppl who post so many hi scores are in that percentile? i mean above a 40 alone and there are like mebbe 40 students....if i did that well i dnot know why i would post here and brag about it...get a life...this is a forum to vent, to look for advice and to post scores that are honest....sure there are some who get hi scores...great....ill ask u for help and lot of ppl seem to give great advice...but honestly....most ppl are so full of **** its sad....we look for help not pretentious crap

anyways, i just finished my sophomore year....i have a 3.5 gpa and i've been getting around 35/ on aamcas practice tests......

test 7..... all 11s, test 8, physical-10, 13 V, 12 B.....physical was really hard...ilooked at the back and almost all were hard or moderate....is that how april's or previous tests were? verbal i did well(surprisingly) it was considered hard too

test nine.... 14, 13, 13....ok ok so im putting a high score and the above statement make me look like a hypocrite....but thats what i got....anyways here's my prep....

kaplan last year....(course was wrothless crap, the tests aren't accurate....this has been beatn to death) examkrakers is great well for bio at least cuz its so concise and content heavy that kaplan doesnt have....and ive been studying since may like 6 -7 hours a day all my textbooks adn going over topics that aamcas has provided us.....really great....

OH yea...and what do u think i'd need to getinto a good school? im taking mcat in august....i have a 3.5 gpa...hpefully ill improve it to 3.6 or higher? so lets assume i have 3.6 when i apply.....300 hours comm service in pediatrics, workd in research since soph year...prbbly till senior year...want to publish next year(good chacne) started my own organization to bring students with community in medically related stuff(not that big a deal....just something) and im aiming for a 35-36 or higher....think i have a great chacne at a top 20 school? my undergrad school is ranked b/w 30-40 for med schools
please dont solicit for bootleg copies.....so unnecessary

Members don't see this ad.

surag said:
I dont understand why ppl BS their scores....does it make your real score better? no...obviously....and you wont make us feel proud of u...we dont know you......i mean think about it...if u look at the statistics....which i did a while back to see where ppl's scores are and to comapre myself....38 and above puts you in the 99% percentile....are u saying that all those ppl who post so many hi scores are in that percentile? i mean above a 40 alone and there are like mebbe 40 students....if i did that well i dnot know why i would post here and brag about it...get a life...this is a forum to vent, to look for advice and to post scores that are honest....sure there are some who get hi scores...great....ill ask u for help and lot of ppl seem to give great advice...but honestly....most ppl are so full of **** its sad....we look for help not pretentious crap

anyways, i just finished my sophomore year....i have a 3.5 gpa and i've been getting around 35/ on aamcas practice tests......

test 7..... all 11s, test 8, physical-10, 13 V, 12 B.....physical was really hard...ilooked at the back and almost all were hard or moderate....is that how april's or previous tests were? verbal i did well(surprisingly) it was considered hard too

test nine.... 14, 13, 13....ok ok so im putting a high score and the above statement make me look like a hypocrite....but thats what i got....anyways here's my prep....

kaplan last year....(course was wrothless crap, the tests aren't accurate....this has been beatn to death) examkrakers is great well for bio at least cuz its so concise and content heavy that kaplan doesnt have....and ive been studying since may like 6 -7 hours a day all my textbooks adn going over topics that aamcas has provided us.....really great....

I'm going to sum up everyone's reaction to reading this...

....what?

surag said:

mmkay...and what is your point again?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even make it through the post. So many ellipses... :)

Ok...i was typing fast...and I saw it doesnt make a lot of sense.....

I mean this post is meant to discuss how ppl who have taken the test in april(or previous tests) compare the real test to the practice test they've taken.

Also I was ranting about how ppl were placing hi scores in posts.....its hard to imagine that so many hi scores can be posted here when if u look at the actual statistics....very few students score so high....it just seemed hard to imagine that....anyways not hte main point of this post

I was listing my scores on the practice tests.... amcas 7 i got all 11s, on test 8 i got P10, V13, B12

My main question is which tests do u guys think are closest to Aprils test? If u ddnt take april's but took a previous version go ahead and tell us what u think was the closest to the actual test....so many ppl talk about this but i never got a clear sense of which practice materials were the best

I take issue with the amcas tests since they seem to change from difficulty...7 was easy, 8 was harder( or so they claim at the end of the test where the questions were scored as harder) and 9 wasnt too bad....so i wasnt sure which or if any are a good indicator of the real deal....sorry for the confusion....its my first major post.....

surag said:
Ok...i was typing fast...and I saw it doesnt make a lot of sense.....

I mean this post is meant to discuss how ppl who have taken the test in april(or previous tests) compare the real test to the practice test they've taken.

Also I was ranting about how ppl were placing hi scores in posts.....its hard to imagine that so many hi scores can be posted here when if u look at the actual statistics....very few students score so high....it just seemed hard to imagine that....anyways not hte main point of this post

I was listing my scores on the practice tests.... amcas 7 i got all 11s, on test 8 i got P10, V13, B12

My main question is which tests do u guys think are closest to Aprils test? If u ddnt take april's but took a previous version go ahead and tell us what u think was the closest to the actual test....so many ppl talk about this but i never got a clear sense of which practice materials were the best

I take issue with the amcas tests since they seem to change from difficulty...7 was easy, 8 was harder( or so they claim at the end of the test where the questions were scored as harder) and 9 wasnt too bad....so i wasnt sure which or if any are a good indicator of the real deal....sorry for the confusion....its my first major post.....

It's probably not a good idea to open your post criticizing the people on the forums as a whole and then expect an honest answer to a queston. SDN attracts the people who tend to score higher on the MCAT...it's just the way it is. Other people posting MCAT scores has no bearing your own MCAT preparation and performance. A lot of us who post scores are "regulars" who I trust and are only doing so to (1) give me people the opportunity to see that improvement is possible and (2) to inquire about their chances in getting accepted (see the "What are my chances thread").

AAMC tests are the closest to the MCAT...they are actual MCAT questions.

surag said:
which part of what i say is so hard to understand? Or are you just slow?

No offense surag, but the post wasn't coherent. Let me attempt to address some of your concerns...

The difficulty of an aamc test is going to depend on what areas it focuses on and what areas you are strong/weak in. The ones you did better on, obviously touched on your strengths.

You will find that a lot of people on SDN are at the top of their class. Although, I am sure that some people have lied about their scores in the past. You should brush this off, and just worry about your own score and ability.

As for which practice exam was most like the April administration... I would guess that it depends on the form. There are MANY forms of the MCAT administered. I would assume 9 would be a good place to start though.

Good luck...and relax a little. ;)

Haha, I was in such a hurry I wrote crap I guess. It seems this post is DOA. Anyways I didn't mean to be so offensive, and yes I am on edge, the test is only a month away. Till a week or so ago I thought the Amcas tests were actual previous tests and then I realized they were just a collection of administered passages, so it pissed me off and I worried that I wasn't modeling how I would actually do in the real test. I dont know what tests to follow interms of how I do. On kaplans, I did poorly 8through 11 and foudn out that they're just really hard. But others say that some of them really do model the real test. All this is just frustrating that its so hard to find the right way to prepare. I dnot want ot have to study unnecessary material or use useless strategies for teh real thing.....

surag said:
Haha, I was in such a hurry I wrote crap I guess. It seems this post is DOA. Anyways I didn't mean to be so offensive, and yes I am on edge, the test is only a month away. Till a week or so ago I thought the Amcas tests were actual previous tests and then I realized they were just a collection of administered passages, so it pissed me off and I worried that I wasn't modeling how I would actually do in the real test. I dont know what tests to follow interms of how I do. On kaplans, I did poorly 8through 11 and foudn out that they're just really hard. But others say that some of them really do model the real test. All this is just frustrating that its so hard to find the right way to prepare. I dnot want ot have to study unnecessary material or use useless strategies for teh real thing.....

The latter AAMC exams are really as close as you're going to get. My scores on 7-9 were within +/- of my actual score.

ADeadLois said:
The latter AAMC exams are really as close as you're going to get. My scores on 7-9 were within +/- of my actual score.

Thats good news to hear. I'm glad the tests are well made. What did u think of 8? I mean 8 i bombed on physical but i pulled out on the rest. Looking back tho some of hte right answers were from luck, so I feel uneasy. I assume that it was just an extremely hard test and hte real test would be easier...with less harder questions aand more easier/moderate ones....is that an accurate assesment? Im thinking hte real test is b/w test 9 and 8 in terms of difficulty.

surag said:
Thats good news to hear. I'm glad the tests are well made. What did u think of 8? I mean 8 i bombed on physical but i pulled out on the rest. Looking back tho some of hte right answers were from luck, so I feel uneasy. I assume that it was just an extremely hard test and hte real test would be easier...with less harder questions aand more easier/moderate ones....is that an accurate assesment? Im thinking hte real test is b/w test 9 and 8 in terms of difficulty.

I actually found 7-8 to be somewhat easier than the real thing. I remember one of them (I think it was 8, but I'm not sure) had a ton of gen chem on it, but since I'm a chem major I found it easy. The actual MCAT form I had was skewed in favor of physics, so that's why I found it a tad harder.

I think that, in general, the AAMC 7-9 are slightly easier than the real thing in the sciences and slightly harder in verbal. However, my scores came out nearly exactly the same.

ADeadLois said:
I actually found 7-8 to be somewhat easier than the real thing. I remember one of them (I think it was 8, but I'm not sure) had a ton of gen chem on it, but since I'm a chem major I found it easy. The actual MCAT form I had was skewed in favor of physics, so that's why I found it a tad harder.

I think that, in general, the AAMC 7-9 are slightly easier than the real thing in the sciences and slightly harder in verbal. However, my scores came out nearly exactly the same.

How were the kaplan tests if you took them? or for that matter MK or princeton?

I am not sure why people seem to be so bent on saying this or that test is the best indicator of what your actual score will be. Seriously, these claims are relative to the individual making the claim. The material on your real test is a completely random compilation of possible subjects. Since everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, there is bound to be a large degree of variation in the tests that are said to be accurate indicators. It's all relative.

There is a trend on this forum of people getting actual MCAT scores similar to the latter AAMC exams. Take a look at the "30+ MCAT Habits" sticky thread to see for yourself.

Regarding Kaplan , Kaplan bio is very similar to AAMC, while their PS is much harder and their verbal much easier than the real thing. I'm not familiar with the PR tests.