Please be brutally honest: how much is this going to hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirc™

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got done with my first semester of college and it was terrible. Before starting school I had dreams of getting in to some of the top 10 medical schools in the country, I guess those are now over right?. But what does this mean for medical school in general, is it over for me?

Biology: C
History: B
English: B
Bio lab: D
Chem: W

Members don't see this ad.

It's just one semester, and it's your first. If you do well from here on out, I doubt schools will give much consideration to a poor performance right when you started school.

it will be hard, no doubt, but its not the end of the world. i mean if u get 4.0s for the rest of your semesters, it will certainly look really good, and you spin this semester into a positive learning experience. so don't worry, about the grade, but worry about what you did wrong, so you can get those 4.0s hehe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your first semester, as long as you show an improving trend, can be overcome. The more important matters are not med school, which is some ways off from your current position, but why you did poorly in your classes.

Your first year should be spent gauging what courseload you can handle and to iron out your study habits and learning skills. Because starting second year you are going to have to tack on research, volunteering, ECs, etc. So figure it out fast, retake whatever you must, and do better. Don't worry about the W, looks much better than an F. I'd retake the Bio, becaus eyou're going to have to retake the lab anyway. Get help if you need it, talk to advisors, etc.

Yeah, let us discuss why that happened.

On where you go to school, how hard the classes you're taking, and how well you do on the MCAT. If you can convince the schools that you are bright but made a mistake, and in the next three years show them that you have matured, you could still have a good shot.

I'll sell ya a fully functional time machine for $100. PM me for details.

Those grades won't necessarily sting unless they become a pattern. A necessary slap in the face is in order, since you withdrew freshman chem and did mediocre in freshman bio (your only science courses). Identify what really caused those grades this semester. Adjusting to college life? Too many distractions (TV, partying, Internet, friends, booze)? Time management problems? Procrastination? Work on not repeating mistakes and breaking the habits NOW. You have a ton of credits ahead of you and a mostly squeaky clean slate. You can still achieve a really friggin high GPA.

But screw sugarcoating. Figure out what went wrong and learn from your mistakes. You can do it, if you really, really, really, really want it.

Those grades won't necessarily sting, unless they become a pattern. A necessary slap in the face is in order, since you withdrew freshman chem and did mediocre in freshman bio. Identify what really caused those grades this semester. Adjusting to college life? Too many distractions (TV, partying, Internet, friends, booze)? Time management problems? Procrastination? Work on not repeating mistakes and breaking the habits NOW. You have a ton of credits ahead of you and a mostly squeaky clean slate. You can still achieve a really friggin high GPA.

But screw sugarcoating. Figure out what went wrong and learn from your mistakes. You can do it, if you really, really, really, really want it.

lol come on 100 dollars, that is like 100 thousand yen, i can do better, i will sell you a fully functional time machine, including a special time cap along with candy for a much more reasonable price of 50 dollars.

In addition to the (mostly) good advice given above, spend more time on your studies and less time on SDN.

Damn what happened with bio lab? Did you just not go?

Intro bio for the most part oughtn't be the obstacle for pre-meds. I mean, medicine is biology! If you're doing poorly in it because it's your first semester and you're doing what everyone should do in their first semester (which has nothing to do with studying), then fine: learn to better balance your social life and academics and you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you're trying your hardest and still not able to pull a B or an A, perhaps you should spare yourself the pain and find something you're better at.

Mirc™;4521358 said:
I just got done with my first semester of college and it was terrible. Before starting school I had dreams of getting in to some of the top 10 medical schools in the country, I guess those are now over right?. But what does this mean for medical school in general, is it over for me?

Yeah, let us discuss why that happened.

Those grades won't necessarily sting unless they become a pattern. A necessary slap in the face is in order, since you withdrew freshman chem and did mediocre in freshman bio (your only science courses). Identify what really caused those grades this semester. Adjusting to college life? Too many distractions (TV, partying, Internet, friends, booze)? Time management problems? Procrastination? Work on not repeating mistakes and breaking the habits NOW. You have a ton of credits ahead of you and a mostly squeaky clean slate. You can still achieve a really friggin high GPA.

Well I'd say depression which lead to procrastination and poor time management were the reasons I did badly. It won't be a problem next semester though.

Damn what happened with bio lab? Did you just not go?

I missed a lot of class

not trying to be mean, but "will not happen next semester" is an easy word, so keep to it.

My first year:

chem I lab B
chem I C
Intro to comp sys engr A
Comp I C
Calculus I F

Fundamentals of Comm C
Intro to comp B
Comp II B
Precal D

My second year was not much better either. I was a computer engineering major and wanted to change to premed but my GPA was not good enough to have a prayer. I wound up switching to Accounting and finished with a 2.95. After working for a year I then went back and took all the pre-med classes with straight A's for 2 years (well a B in anatomy). Now I'm accepted.

Will it be hard to get in with that first semester? Yes. But do what I did, use it as motivation to get only A's from now on out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mirc™;4521508 said:
I missed a lot of class

This is not something that is obvious at first, but college is nothing like high school. You must go to class, you must study, and start the semester hot so you can survive finals without a nervous breakdown.

Mirc™;4521358 said:

if you are getting C, Ds in bio after working really really hard. you might have to consider medicine, not just getting accepted at top 10 medical schools.

that said, if you show progressive improvements over the final 3 years you will over come this. I know lots of ppl who have. LOTS.

if you are getting C, Ds in bio after working really really hard. you might have to consider medicine, not just getting accepted at top 10 medical schools.

that said, if you show progressive improvements over the final 3 years you will over come this. I know lots of ppl who have. LOTS.
Uh oh, Sony, you're not allowed to say such things on this board, or even ask if you should say them.

Uh oh, Sony, you're not allowed to say such things on this board, or even ask if you should say them.

uh oh! :scared: Am I gonna get flamed? The only reason I said that was because her title said "Be brutally honest".

if you get spectacular grades after this (A's and A-'s) and make those two look like a fluke then it wont be that big of a deal. IF C's and D's become the norm for your science courses then i dont even think medicine is the right path for you.

Mirc™;4521358 said:

Brutally honest? Like everyone else said, if you get great grades from now on, no worries. But if that's your first semester, what reason do you have to believe you'll get great grades from now on? Do you know what you did wrong?

Mirc™;4521358 said:

Yes, these grades will probably hurt your chances, especially if they continue. Getting into top schools is extremely difficult but it's still very, very early for you so don't count anything out just yet.

Brutally honest? Like everyone else said, if you get great grades from now on, no. But if that's your first semester, what reason do you have to believe you'll get great grades from now on? Do you know what you did wrong?

True, everybody screws up once and everybody deserves a second chance. But if you want to make it to a top 10 medical school, you'd better get your act together right now and start studying like a mofo. Another B or C let's say in Organic and you can kiss your dreams goodbye. Just me being honest :cool:

Biggest thing is why you got these grades. To be honest, the only thing you have proved thus far is that you are unable to get an A in a college class, and in some college classes, especially any science class, you haven't done well at all.

Did you have a major catastrophe? Did you party too much rather than studying? These two things will change, and I would try harder and work it out.

Or did you try your best and you found the material too difficult? Try one more semester and see what happens.

It only gets harder from here.

sonyvaio2700 said:

:laugh: :smuggrin:

You just have do do markedly better from here on out. As in, all A's, maybe a couple B's. You'll have to do well on the MCAT too. It's not the end all, but you have to ask yourself if you'll succeed in medicine with those grades in easier classes.

Yes, these grades will probably hurt your chances, especially if they continue. Getting into top schools is extremely difficult but it's still very, very early for you so don't count anything out just yet.

:eek: How could you say that? I can't believe how insensitive people are when they speak in truths. sigh...

:eek: How could you say that? I can't believe how insensitive people are when they speak in truths. sigh...

HAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You guys are bad. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to declare this an

FWW-Irony-Free-Zone-512x.gif

Mirc™;4521508 said:
Well I'd say depression which lead to procrastination and poor time management were the reasons I did badly. It won't be a problem next semester though.
I missed a lot of class

Ok Mirc, well now that you know what went wrong, take it easy. Go slow and rebuild your confidence. You can't afford another mistake so don't go charging back into schoolwork like Sir Gallahad. Make sure you add onto your schedule and workload gradually - don't be like me, I had a rough freshman year gradeswise and responded with ego and tacked on classes sophomore year as well as research and paid for it dearly.

Stay ahead of the class. Keep up with your work. Get a planner, a PDA, a calendar deskblot, anything to help you organize. And above all, learn. Don't let these grades get you down, and don't let them dictate you either. They don't define you.

Biggest thing is why you got these grades. To be honest, the only thing you have proved thus far is that you are unable to get an A in a college class, and in some college classes, especially any science class, you haven't done well at all.

Did you have a major catastrophe? Did you party too much rather than studying? These two things will change, and I would try harder and work it out.

Or did you try your best and you found the material too difficult? Try one more semester and see what happens.

It only gets harder from here.

Yea I agree. If I were you, I'd definitely reevaluate my priorities. If you're not willing/able to punch in and crank out some A's then maybe medicine isn't for you. It's not a bad thing, but it's better to realize now that the workload is too much than to realize it when you're either not getting accepted into or are failing out of med school. You WILL take tougher classes than intro bio, and you have to be able to do well in them.

That being said, if you think this is just a fluke and you're willing to work to get better grades and to become a doctor, then more power to you. Prove all the people on this thread wrong and succeed in spite of the criticisms and the uphill battle you've created for yourself.

:cool: :thumbup:

Mirc™;4521508 said:

If it's really depression, I can sympathesize with that. I was diagnosed with a mild case my freshman year and that wasn't the best thing that ever happened to me. Go see a psychologist and dont let your chemical imbalances throw you off ;)

I didn't put in any effort at all to get those grades. I would wait until literally 3 or 4 hours before a major test like a final or midterm to start studying. I would start term papers from scratch only a few hours before they were due even though I had 3 months to work on them. I just had some psychological problems that made it so I couldn't focus or have any motivation at all. It was weird cause even though I knew that I needed very good grades to get in to med schoo I still couldn't get myself to concentrate and do any work. Then I saw a psyhciatrist a couple weeks ago and he told that I have a mild case of depression and that's a big part of why I did poorly

Mirc™;4521358 said:

Why are you all beating around the bush?

No, you will probably not get into a top-ten med school. You will probably not get into any medical school.

Not because of your first semester grades, but because people who essentially tank their first semester do not normally spontaneously turn into 4.0 students. Sure, it occassionally happens, but most of the time your performance in simple, intro-level classes are a good predictor of how you will do in the upper-level courses.

Maybe you were mildly depressed, but more likely you just partied too much, or just aren't really interested in the material. If you get a D in Bio Lab, do you really think you have what it takes to spank O-Chem?

No, I'm not being an a**hole. Better to figure out early in college that med school isn't for you, than later when all the rejections roll in. There are plenty of interesting things in this world, and med school isn't for most people.

No point hanging on to the dream if you can't hack it.

In my mind "mild depression" is not a good reason for doing poorly in a semester (I'm just trying to be brutally honest with you here like you asked for). Life can suck and things can happen, and you've got to be ready to push forward even when you do not feel like it (which, I think, is an essential for medical school). Besides which I've seen WAY too many people diagnosed with "mild depression" when what they really have is "normal bumps in life". Maybe that's a little too brutal, and I don't know you so I certainly can't judge you, but you need to ask yourself if you're now at the place where you'll be able to do your work adequately.

You know, starting college is scary and I did pretty badly my first semester too. I actually dropped out after that one semester and went back to college a few years ago and now my grades have been much much better - I just wasn't ready when I was 18 and there was nothing wrong with that. But I'm so glad some folks were brutal with me and told me I wasn't going to make it, and that I dropped out after 1 semester rather than ruining myself with 2 or 3 years of bad grades. And once I was finally ready for school, it was much easier to recover than it would have been otherwise. So there's some food for thought for you too - if you are not ready, YOU ARE NOT A BAD PERSON and it is OK to go work for awhile and wait until you are really ready. That's my opinion at least.

If it is any comfort though, I've found that the survey courses (Gen Chem, Gen Bio, etc) are actually a fair amount more difficult than upper level courses simply because there is such a glut of information that you are expected to process in such a short time. The upper level courses go much more in depth, but within a far more narrow bredth of subject matter so it seems to be more doable (you just keep building on what you've learned and life is great). That's not to say you'll get in to medical school with a bunch of C's in the survey courses (which are the required pre med courses anyway), but just an encouragement to say that I think you'll find things won't always be as much of a pain as they are now.

GOOD LUCK to you. Work hard, and you'll do fine. The fact that you were open to criticism and feedback is a very good sign and it shows that you're probably the sort of person who can learn and go on to great things. I wish you the best.

Mirc™;4521358 said:

I dealt with a similar situation in my undergraduate career. I hate to sound cliche, but you really have to deal with the punches, because in the end, the only thing that matters is your motivation and desire to become a physician. If your feelings fall in the right places about joining a career in medicine, then your dream will be realized. I wish there was someone to tell me this when I was first starting out as a pre-med and now I would like to pass this on to you. Best of luck in pursuing medicine. I would stay away from SDN and focus on your studies. Also, a top ten school will not make you a great doctor. Many young fools will tell you otherwise in this forum. Only you can make a great doctor, the school is simply a medium by which you achieve your goal.

Thanks for all the responses. I just want to know; if hypothetically speaking I manage to get a 4.0 for the next 2 and a half semesters, would I still have a shot at one of those top 10 schools I was talking about? Yeah I know it's highly unlikley that I'll get a 4.0

first stop worrying about getting into a top 10 school. Just know that you want to go to med school, i assuming that you do, and its just not some thing you and your buddies have decided upon. Focus on your classes, do WELL in them. If you are in a major and are not liking it, change right now. Getting into med school is not something easy, it requires a lot of work and motivation for most of us. When you are a junior and you have a better idea on your gpa and such, then decide if you have the numbers for a top 10 school, come back here and you can put things into perspective. If you continually browse these forums, by the time you apply it will seem like you have no hope at all, your gpa, mcat, ec ,research will all seem trivial when you read other poeples stats.

Now for your classes. See a academic advisor, im sure your school has a acadamic services department on study tips etc. First term is hard, mainly as its your first and its something totally new. Anaylze what you did this term and make sure you dont make the same mistakes next term. You may have to put a lot of work in to get good grades, no one said it was easy.

-Good Luck

improve and try not to get too many C and D anymore. this is your first semester. also don't take too many hard classes at the same time. mix it up a bit..take one or two gen ed classes a semester. don't get worked up about getting into top ten med school.
do you have a pre-med advisor?

Stay ahead of the class. Keep up with your work. Get a planner, a PDA, a calendar deskblot, anything to help you organize. And above all, learn. Don't let these grades get you down, and don't let them dictate you either. They don't define you.

Also, look to see what support your school might offer...at my undergrad the main counseling/support office offered sessions on study skills, time management, and overcoming procrastination (the running joke was that if you were with-it enough to sign up for the class you didn't need it...). Schools know that time management, and freshman-year blues, are a common problem and often have ways to help you through it. :luck:

Mirc™;4521358 said:

i started my frist two years of college with a 2.7 GPA. I did some post bac work and was just recently accepted to three medical schools, including a top 50. You need to relax and learn from the experience. Clearly you arnt doing something right and just work on it. People change a lot in college, hopefully for the better. Use it as a learning experience and work from there. No one said medical school was easy to get into. They dont want just anyone to become doctors. Keep working harder and harder, good :luck:

Mirc™;4525177 said:
Thanks for all the responses. I just want to know; if hypothetically speaking I manage to get a 4.0 for the next 2 and a half semesters, would I still have a shot at one of those top 10 schools I was talking about? Yeah I know it's highly unlikley that I'll get a 4.0
why? what's at a top 10 school? odds aren't in your favor though. Most people can't get into a top 10 school.

I had extreme circumstances freshman year including roomate 1: massive drug dealer, eventually kicked out of school. 2nd roomate: kicked out of school for behavior failing all classes. Totally random and out of my control yet very disruptive.

I had a 3.4 that year.

next 5 semesters, 4.0 exactly. 40 MCAT. interviews at Harvard, Yale, WashU, NW, USC, UChicago, and Penn (others that are not "top schools" as you put it)

you can't keep everything the same. you have to REALLY MASSIVELY change some things...for me, it was completely solving my roomate problems and not leaving them in the hands of other people.

I had extreme circumstances freshman year including roomate 1: massive drug dealer, eventually kicked out of school. 2nd roomate: kicked out of school for behavior failing all classes. Totally random and out of my control yet very disruptive.

I had a 3.4 that year.

next 5 semesters, 4.0 exactly. 40 MCAT. interviews at Harvard, Yale, WashU, NW, USC, UChicago, and Penn (others that are not "top schools" as you put it)

you can't keep everything the same. you have to REALLY MASSIVELY change some things...for me, it was completely solving my roomate problems and not leaving them in the hands of other people.

Yeah, but he didn't have a 3.4... He has, like, a 2.25 if all those classes are equally credited, plus a withdrawal. I haven't gotten into a "top ten" school with a 3.8, so it's not even all about the grades, but unless there's a consistent 4.0 from now on (not a gradual improvement, a 4.0) and something STELLAR elsewhere, it's time expand hopes away from top tens.

Thanks for all the responses. But really I don't care much about getting into a top ten school, I'd be more than happy to go anywhere. I know I never fully accomplish my goals so I like to aim really high so when I do eventually fall short it's not that bad. Like when I want to gain weight I'll say my goal is to gain 40lbs of muscle by next year, I'll gain like 30 which is still really good.

Yeah, but he didn't have a 3.4... He has, like, a 2.25 if all those classes are equally credited, plus a withdrawal. I haven't gotten into a "top ten" school with a 3.8, so it's not even all about the grades, but unless there's a consistent 4.0 from now on (not a gradual improvement, a 4.0) and something STELLAR elsewhere, it's time expand hopes away from top tens.

Bio was actually a c+ and bio lab , which is only 1 credit, still isn't final yet. So it could go up to a C, not sure. But even with it as a D I have a 2.6. And I did the math, If I can manage to get straight A's while taking 22 credits next semester my GPA will be around a 3.5

Mirc™;4552800 said:
Bio was actually a c+ and bio lab , which is only 1 credit, still isn't final yet. So it could go up to a C, not sure. But even with it as a D I have a 2.6. And I did the math, If I can manage to get straight A's while taking 22 credits next semester my GPA will be around a 3.5

My advice at this point would be to think really hard about whether taking 22 credits next semester is a smart move at this point. There are many people with high grades (above 3.5) whose GPA would probably suffer at least somewhat with such a heavy courseload. I feel that at this point, you may need to step back and take a lighter load in order to give yourself the opportunity to learn better study habits. I know you probably feel that taking more classes will give you the opportunity to fix the problem faster. However, it can also backfire and overwhelm you. Just be careful! Good luck!

Digression: SDN needs to come up with a FAQ or something for things like this.

Actually there should be two. Here are their titles:

1) "Help, I'm really worried about my grades/MCAT/EC/LoRs/etc, and want someone to tell me that everything will be okay!

2) "Help, I'm really worried about my grades/MCAT/EC/LoRs/etc, but I think I can handle the truth!"

OP: These are my grades from my first semester.

English 101- B
Finite Math- A
Art History- W
Speech- B
Philosophy- D

My 2nd semester I only took 3 classes and made 2 B's and an A. Since then I have busted my butt, and made only one B in over 2 years. You can do it if you want it, but that is up to you.

Something I find annoying is most colleges suggest first semester freshman take 15 hours, but really a lot of them aren't ready for that. I know I wasn't, and I paid for it in bad grades and a W. So maybe take it easy next semester, it isn't going to kill you to take 4 classes instead of 5, what will kill you is another D.

Also, let's try to keep remarks to other users friendly. If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say it.

OP: These are my grades from my first semester.

English 101- B
Finite Math- A
Art History- W
Speech- B
Philosophy- D

My 2nd semester I only took 3 classes and made 2 B's and an A. Since then I have busted my butt, and made only one B in over 2 years. You can do it if you want it, but that is up to you.

Something I find annoying is most colleges suggest first semester freshman take 15 hours, but really a lot of them aren't ready for that. I know I wasn't, and I paid for it in bad grades and a W. So maybe take it easy next semester, it isn't going to kill you to take 4 classes instead of 5, what will kill you is another D.

Also, let's try to keep remarks to other users friendly. If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say it.

B, how'd you get a D in philosphy? :laugh: You're too smart for that ****.