Please be brutally honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bnmakr1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Need more information. 200 hours volunteering where? Clinical experience? Do shadowing? Volunteering in your community? when your stats are lower then average you want stellar ECs.

Hi,

3.0 cGPA
3.7 sGPA
25 (9 PS,9 VR,7 BS) MCAT

I'm finish up an allied health major online. I took my pre-reqs at a community college and got all A's.

I have ~200 volunteer hours and 20 hours shadowing.

My GPA for the last 5 semesters has been 3.8.

Please be brutally honest about my chances for DO schools. I'm an Ohio Resident.

Not too far from the DO studies here, I think. Did you shadow a DO, that is all but required to apply (having a letter from a DO). That said, the 3.0 makes the cutoff and do not know how much the sGPA matters (and it is very good though). I think it would help you to spend some time, even in the next month or two before applying, to volunteer at your local United Way or March of Dimes etc... Great work on the fine pre-requisite grades....

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA is on the very low, if barely tolerable, side. I predict that you'll get interviews to some, but not all DO schools. You're below the bar for mine. Any chance of re-taking poor grade courses to help boost the low GPA?

Hi,

3.0 cGPA
3.7 sGPA
25 (9 PS,9 VR,7 BS) MCAT

I'm finish up an allied health major online. I took my pre-reqs at a community college and got all A's.

Please be brutally honest about my chances for DO schools. I'm an Ohio Resident.

Unless I am reading this wrong, I am surprised no one has mentioned your online degree. Are the only classes you took at a real school those science courses? I think most schools are going to have a problem accepting a degree from an online school....one or 2 classes, sure, but I doubt a whole degree is going to fly (especially with such a low gpa). You are going to need to take classes at a 4 year university...and probably get a degree from there. I just don't see a school taking a chance on you if you have a low gpa from an online school, despite the good sgpa....mostly because they are all still from a community college...which normally I don't think would matter a TON but if you have no other classes done at a 4 year school, there is nothing to compare it against.

Hi,

3.0 cGPA
3.7 sGPA
25 (9 PS,9 VR,7 BS) MCAT

Would you consider retaking the MCAT?

You'll definitely interview at OU, LECOM, and some others depending on where you apply

Would you consider retaking the MCAT?

You'll definitely interview at OU, LECOM, and some others depending on where you apply

As much as I love to retake the MCAT I can't. I had to take time off of work to study and could not afford to do that again.

I'd love to interview/attend OUHCOM, LECOM, or even the new MUCOM. Those would all be dream schools for me.