Please be honest...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetPea07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to speak to anyone that is honest, yet willing to hear me out. Thank you.
Let me get to the issues: I am a 20 yr. old hispanic female.
1) Ever since I was a little girl I have dreamed of becoming a doctor. Seriously, my mom kept a "goals" poster I made in the 3rd grade that said I wanted to be a doctor "and help babies' hearts" it said :)
2) My mom gave me an Overview of Human Anatomy and Physiology when I was 9. I've read it so many times I can practically recite it.
2) I stopped with this dream in HS. I was so used to learning things so easily, without effort, that when I stumbled in my Algebra class and got a C+ ( I didnt study as much as I should've), that's when I kissed that dream goodbye thinking that a DR. that sucks at math obviously wont make a good one.
3) I graduated in 2005 in the top 15% out of 300 at age 17. I skipped fourth grade. In fifth grade was where my math skills began to be shaky.
4) College began immediately afterwards. I went to the local CC in my hometown (which apparently isn't that bad) bc my mom felt I was too young to be out on my own. She was right. :-/
5) I've been in and out of majors, still not finding my niche. So far I've done pretty well in my Sciences and Math. But I did play around alot. I have some bad grades (business is DEFINTELY not what I was supposed to do).
6) Sophomore (fall) yr. (the yr. that I got my bad grades) was horrible. I knew I shouldnt have even registered, but my mom insisted. My family was going through a very hard time. My grandfather was diagnosed with colon cancer ( I'm very, very close to him) and plus INS was having problems renewing our documentation which was beyond aggravating. (The whole reason my mom and I moved to the States when I was 6 was so I could go to college since she couldn't).
7) The following semester (spring) I was going in with full intent of doing well, but I became very ill, blacking out often and they discovered I had heart valve issues and such. So I had to drop out.
8) I went back during the past summer and did a FULL load. (18 credits) and kicked butt :) My mom is still freaked about my health since the drs. here are still baffled as to why I'm sick. I have 3 DIFFERENT opinions!
9) My final reason is my fiance. After having to deal with a week of health shows (my mom and I play a game where we watch shows like Diagnosis X or Mystery Diagnosis and based on the symptoms we hear we try to figure out what they have b4 the drs. tell us), he asked me, "Why don't you just go to medical school?" I had no answer. Except that I was scared that I couldn't cut it. That I wasn't good enough. I'm the type of person that strives for PERFECTION. Seriously, it aggravates everyone I know. When I really want something, even if I have to sacrifice I will do it. But I feel that just as the clouds have dispersed I can't anymore. My GPA is crap (2.7). I haven't finished my BS yet though. Even if I could somehow miraculously lift my GPA to stellar heights (3.8!!!???). How do you know you have what it takes?

Members don't see this ad.

wow me and you have very similar personal experiences...but I think that they make you a stronger person with more character, so good for you.

As for grades...everyone I ask keeps saying doing post-bacc work, master's, etc. - anything to show med schools that you can handle grad-level courses is good.

You could apply to DO schools if you don't have a preference of MD vs DO. Also, you would apply as URM which would help your app. out greatly!

:thumbup:

Can you please explain the difference between MD and DO?? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What year are you starting currently? If you're beginning your junior year, you're still in reasonably salvageable shape. Bring that GPA up to a 3.2 or 3.3, and you'll be far better off. If you can manage a strong MCAT score (32+), you'll probably have a decent shot at an acceptance. Are you a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.? If so, what state are you a resident of currently?

Well, right now I just finished my A.S. in General Studies (I could never choose! But I did to almost ALL the science classes they offered except chem). I will most definitely bust my butt to bring it up! Its the lowest GPA I've ever had :-/
My INS situation is actually REALLY complicated! My stepdad is here under a political asylum pending case and we are all saddled in it. But I met the love of my life freshman yr at the CC (in GA) I attended! He lives in Fla (miami) however and wants to marry me as soon as he finishes school in AUG 09. So idk how INS works and how this affects me :-/
I live in GA (currently moving to ATL)

Can you please explain the difference between MD and DO?? :(

MD = Doctor of Medicine

DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

DO schools are generally easier to get into the MD.

But, and I'm sorry that I'm so new to this, what exactly is the difference between an MD and a DO? Like practice wise? :/

It's never too late, you can always work hard and get your grades up. If you get a decent gpa (3.5, 3.6) you'll have a good chance(your a URM). Make sure you're truly intent on becoming a doctor. If you come into this with any unsure feelings you will fall apart.

List of what you need to do at community college
1) Get GPA up
2) Work harder to get your GPA up
3) Volunteer a lot
4) then more volunteering

Then transfer to a good college
1) keep gpa up
2) research
3) more research
4) shadow
5) more shadowing
6) more shadowing
7) more shadowing
8) join premed clubs, then if you have time more shadowing.

Keep this thought in the back of your mind,
"I want to make a difference, I don't want to be another sore on the face of this beautiful earth. "

In theory, DO's use musculoskeletal manipulation and have a more holistic, patient-centered approach to medicine than MD's. In practice, the two are virtually identical.

But, and I'm sorry that I'm so new to this, what exactly is the difference between an MD and a DO? Like practice wise? :/
From what I've seen on this forum, the difference is MD's get prestige to their name, you get a title. DO's learn the same thing MD's do except they also learn OMM (musculoskeletal manipulation). Besides that you get the same career options, you can apply for same residencies. DO's can apply for MD residencies and DO residencies, MD's can only do MD residency.

Last edited:
Well, right now I just finished my A.S. in General Studies (I could never choose! But I did to almost ALL the science classes they offered except chem). I will most definitely bust my butt to bring it up! Its the lowest GPA I've ever had :-/
My INS situation is actually REALLY complicated! My stepdad is here under a political asylum pending case and we are all saddled in it. But I met the love of my life freshman yr at the CC (in GA) I attended! He lives in Fla (miami) however and wants to marry me as soon as he finishes school in AUG 09. So idk how INS works and how this affects me :-/
I live in GA (currently moving to ATL)

I think you should think more deeply before you move form GA to Miami o_O this smells like a bad decision....

Okay well since high school I've done volunteer work. Not medicinal per se but I have offered bilingual services to hispanic patients going to the hospital and in homeless shelters as well. I'm done with the A.S. I was hoping to continue my Uni career when I married my fiance. My cousin lives in ATL and was hoping to take me out the small town I live. But I wouldnt be attending school. I was hoping to beef up on my chem and math skills and start preparing for MCAT while I take the yr off. (remember my health is still crappy). I didnt see the point of attending school if I was gonna move in a yr. anyway

PS thannks for clearing up what DO and MD do! :)

Well i guess i should list:
I have been very involved in school activities like in HS at any given time I tried EVERYTHING! I was in band, choir, soccer, tennis, cheerleading, dance team, ROTC, drama, and art. I also did TASCO which was a peer support group, FBLA, and the school paper. I liked to try everything out. In college however I concentrated my efforts with the International kids. We would welcome them to the campus, help assimilate them, and set up events to educate the students about international affairs. I was VP for this.

You need to bring your grades up a bit (like everyone has said) and when you take your MCAT you need to score well (like everyone else). It will look nice on an application to have an upswing in your grades.

Additionally, you are going to have a kick ass personal statement which makes a big difference. Also, once you start receiving secondaries (the application after the application..) you are going to have a lot of things to write about. For example, one of Stanford's questions this year was:

"
.The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. "

Imagine the response you could have to that. Heck, I'd want to read it!

Also and on a completely personal level: Do not, under any circumstance ever let someone tell you that you can't achieve your goal. If you want to become a doctor, its only you that can make it happen. If you work hard, you are dedicated enough and surround yourself with like-minded people you will make it. I look forward to seeing where you go in your future. Your future looks bright to me. :)

OMG THANK YOU!! I want to know that I have a chance at this. Please do not think that I am used to having things handed to me. I've had to fight for absolutely everything and thanks to my mom I am where I am. It might not look like much to anyone else but 5 years ago, I didnt think I was gonna graduate high school much less make it into college (INS issues were not allowing me to go to school at the time, and plus I moved around ALOT between GA and FLA for my stepdad's job, so no one was sure I'd graduate on time, let alone at all).
I want to do medicine bc I see those that have to do without. I know alot of ppl say this but, I TRULY want to help people. I feel that this is what I was meant to do. I just hope its not too late for it.

i think i read someone mentioning changing schools and shadowing all the time. . . . please DON'T. Shadowing is barely given any weight in admissions.
priorities should be gaining patient experience (clinical) and research as well as leadership in an area that is true to your heart.

If you can't get your GPA up to a 3.3 by end of junior year, focus on graduating early and attending a postbac program (look into Jhop and Columbia, yes you can) and kicking butt there. Then applying. Or you can go ahead and apply before you graduate with whatever gpa you have and then if no luck do the postbac path. but that would end up being even more financially exhausting.

good luck.

You HAVE to raise your GPA into the 3.1-3.2 range and get a good MCAT score (Id say 33+) in order to get past the ruthless screening processes (your ethnicity makes you underrepresented in medicine, which can help a bit). Once you get your app read by a person (ie not thrown in the trash for a bad GPA or MCAT), then you need to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you write an incredible personal statement. Work on your writing skills and find honest and knowlegeable people to read/critique it.

Your secondary essays also need to be very strong, so dont let fatigue work its way in because your strongest attribute is your life story/experiences, not your research, grades, or clinical work per se (although you will need to demonstrate that you understand what you are getting into via clinical experience).

So work on the academic stuff now and make sure you are getting some clinical hours on the side, then 3-4 months before game time (June) start drafting your personal statement over and over and over to get it just right. There will be a lot of hard work and a lot of writing, but if you execute it correctly you will get interviews, even with your gpa.

chessknt87 said:
(your ethnicity makes you underrepresented in medicine
It may or may not, depending upon which Hispanic "sub ethnicity(ies)" (for lack of a better word) the OP identifies with. For example, being Mexican will qualify her for URM status, while being Argentinean will not.

Regardless, raising the GPA, acquiring a good MCAT score, and getting involved in EC's are all far more important, so it's not something I'd worry about.