Please chance me at top 10 med schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeyes77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This will be my first time posting a thread on sdn, but I've been viewing posts of sdn for a while now! Please give me a good idea of how i'll fare for the upcoming application season. I planned a list of approximately 22 medical schools to apply to and 18 of them are in the top 20(according to USNEWS). I will have 6 rec letters in a few more weeks from my profs and research mentors. Thank You!

School: University of California, Berkeley
Major: Chemical Engineering
cGPA: 4.00, sGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 42R - 15 PS, 14 BS, 13 VR

Extracurricular Activities:

• 200 hours of volunteering at local hospital
• 90 hours of shadowing with 6 different types of doctors
• ~200 hours of working with blind and special needs children
• Researched in 4 different labs for 2.5 years (3 Science, 1 Psychology)
• Author of 4 Publications in Psychology, Physiology, and ChemE
• Math, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics paid tutor for 3+ years.
• Teaching Assistant for Chemistry and Physics for 4 semesters
• Chess Team for 3 years
• Volunteered in India at blind kids' missionary for 2 summers - total of 12 weeks
• Secretary of Tau Beta Pi
• Golden Key Officer
• President of Active Minds
• Secretary of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
• Karate for 2 years - lol

Probably a silly question but would not being an EMT or a transplant tech hold me back?

Sorry for any grammar mistakes :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I started tutoring Calc 1 and Calc 2 in my senior year of high school. That's why it says 3+ years. I'm not really sure if i could put that on my app though...

Members don't see this ad :)
ChemE with a 4.0? Impressive, but not good enough for medical school. :rolleyes:

Kidding...you'll be fine. But try to stop making everyone else look so bad

wow... how did you manage 4 pubs? are you applying junior year or senior year? either way thats crazyyyy!

Oh I was really stubborn about getting first author/ co author on those pubs. I had GREAT profs in my physio and chem classes that let me work with them throughout the enitre sophomore year and thought i deserved to get the credit. My ChemE prof in thermo let me coauthor with him this year. I got my first pub my freshmen year in psych. I'm applying at the end of junior year in June, btw.

Pretty identical stats to my cousin who goes to a top 50 (great fin aid) currently--your gpa is even a little higher, but he got into a solid number of top 25s

my credentials are quite similar to yours, but i applied a year after graduating. monitor my MDApps to get a rough idea of how your cycle will turn out

Wow a 42R and you took it early...