Please chance me for the UCs and need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GSW23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m going to be a senior this fall and am applying for the 2019/2020 cycle. I’m originally from California, but now have been on the east coast for undergrad. I really want to go back home, but I know that the UCs are extremely competitive to get into. I’m not sure whether to just say screw it and go to a non-California school if I don’t get in to the UCs, since the price is costly for the private California schools. Also, should I be worried about getting an 18 in BIO on my DAT? Would also really appreciate some suggestions on other schools I should be applying to. Thanks in advance.

Date of submission: Early to mid June
Overall GPA: 3.929
Science GPA: 3.823
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score: 23AA/20TS/22PAT (QR: 25, RC: 24, BIO: 18, GC: 22, OC 26)
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: East Coast
Major: Health Science
Minor: Biology and Global Health
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 80 total hours with general dentist, oral surgeon, periodontist, and endodontist
Volunteering Experience: 264 total hours
- 68 hours as a mentor to underprivileged kids
- 40 hours as a teacher of a virtual reality workshop
- 56 hours at Honduras dental mission at the end of this month
Employment:
- 800 hours as a pediatric dental assistant (not sure whether to consider this shadowing/dental experience or employment in AADSAS)
- 960 hours as a ophthalmic assistant
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars:
- Vice President of Fraternity
- Risk Management Chair of Fraternity
- Club Athlete
- Singer in University Choir
Relevant Honors or Awards:
- Dean’s List (All semesters)
- Brother of the Year
- Order of Omega Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society
- Voice Lesson Scholarship
- Candidate for Iron Phi (Raise $1000 for ALS)
- Not sure whether to include club sport sectional championship

LOR type and strength: Committee letter (strong I hope) and letter from general dentist shadowed (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:

UCLA
UCSF
USC
UoP
Harvard
Columbia
UNC
Rutgers
University of Washington

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have some solid stats, to be honest with you. Your cumulative GPA is quite high as well. I think you have a fair shot at getting accepted to either UCSF or UCLA.

Just to give you some reference point, I had a 3.6 cumulative and 3.5 science GPA and had a 21 DAT. I still got accepted to UCSF.

If you truly want to maximize your chances, you CAN take the DAT again. It may help with some scholarship as well and give you peace of mind.

I’m going to be a senior this fall and am applying for the 2019/2020 cycle. I’m originally from California, but now have been on the east coast for undergrad. I really want to go back home, but I know that the UCs are extremely competitive to get into. I’m not sure whether to just say screw it and go to a non-California school if I don’t get in to the UCs, since the price is costly for the private California schools. Also, should I be worried about getting an 18 in BIO on my DAT? Would also really appreciate some suggestions on other schools I should be applying to. Thanks in advance.

Date of submission: Early to mid June
Overall GPA: 3.929
Science GPA: 3.823
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score: 23AA/20TS/22PAT (QR: 25, RC: 24, BIO: 18, GC: 22, OC 26)
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: East Coast
Major: Health Science
Minor: Biology and Global Health
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 80 total hours with general dentist, oral surgeon, periodontist, and endodontist
Volunteering Experience: 264 total hours
- 68 hours as a mentor to underprivileged kids
- 40 hours as a teacher of a virtual reality workshop
- 56 hours at Honduras dental mission at the end of this month
Employment:
- 800 hours as a pediatric dental assistant (not sure whether to consider this shadowing/dental experience or employment in AADSAS)
- 960 hours as a ophthalmic assistant
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars:
- Vice President of Fraternity
- Risk Management Chair of Fraternity
- Club Athlete
- Singer in University Choir
Relevant Honors or Awards:
- Dean’s List (All semesters)
- Brother of the Year
- Order of Omega Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society
- Voice Lesson Scholarship
- Candidate for Iron Phi (Raise $1000 for ALS)
- Not sure whether to include club sport sectional championship

LOR type and strength: Committee letter (strong I hope) and letter from general dentist shadowed (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:

UCLA
UCSF
USC
UoP
Harvard
Columbia
UNC
Rutgers
University of Washington
I wouldn't worry about the 18 nor would I recommend retaking DAT
I your hours as an assistant were paid, they are employment and not shadowing
i'd recommend increasing shadowing hours to make at leat 100, if not more

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 19 on Bio. I still interviewed at Harvard Penn UConn Stony brook and im an ORM (korean).

youre going to be fine...... But I would add some private schools like BU and Tufts maybe public schools like colorado UNLV etc. and get rid of UNC.

Remember, UCs and Ivies are no guarantee no matter how high your stats are. its all a matter of luck at that point.

Apply early and good luck!

Last edited:
I got a 19 on Bio. I still interviewed at Harvard Penn UConn Stony brook and im an ORM (korean).

youre going to be fine...... But I would add some private schools like BU and Tufts maybe public schools like colorado UNLV etc. and get rid of UNC.

Remember, UCs and Ivies are no guarantee no matter how high your stats are. its all a matter of luck at that point.

Apply early and good luck!

Thanks for the peace of mind. Why should I take UNC off my list?

I'd leave UNC on the list... Yes, it's very competitive as an OOS student, but UNC still takes 25% of its class from OOS. A number of which aren't from surrounding states.
(I will note, this is more than previous years where I think it was 15% OOS).