PLEASE chance me! Major headache over what parts of app to work on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zk5034

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all..

I will be applying Summer 2011 App Cycle...I am currently a junior and just took MCAT at start of my jr year....PS/VR/BS=11/10/10 R = 31R :(

Here are the rest of my stats

3.59 cGPA
3.14 sGPA (orgo=C's...)

100+ Hours in hospital on call bell
20+ Hours shadowing trauma surgeon + radiologist
Medical Mission trip to south america
Assistant teacher for local sunday school
Organized $3000 "adopt a day" fundraising for local soup kitchen and volunteered for that day

I know thing's are looking pretty rough for me. I got about a semester and a half to improve things before I apply next summer. I'm still working on volunteer + shadowing, and desperately trying to get some sort of research position. What do you guys think? DO??!!:scared: Can I atleast get into some of the lowest-end med schools in the US?

Also, I'm thinking about retaking that MCAT. I'm pretty sure that I can get atleast a 33-34 if I retake, but I will be sacrificing time that I can use towards making GPA better. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely a good shot at DO, but the bad part is that you're weakest in science. I think the 31 MCAT will definitely get you past that problem for DO school. US MD? Possibly at the lower tier schools. The Orgo C's is a problem. Was that for labs too? I don't see enough EC or any research. Lacking on leadership too. Do you have any hobbies you've done for long?

Do NOT re-take the MCAT. It's easy to think you can crack a 34, but you could realistically land lower than a 31. They are very balanced too which will get you far.

agreed, don't retake the mcat. take classes to boost that BCMP. apply to both MD and DO schools. something will workout if you keep an open mind and apply broadly. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT of 31 is fine. If you're in a hurry, you have a good chance at some DO schools, despite the low BCPM/sGPA. But if MD is important to you, I suggest you consider waiting another year before applying so as to get your BCPM into a more competitive range. Some As in upper-level Bio (and ideally in Biochem as well, to redeem the Cs in OChem) could do wonders for you. Another year would give you more time to get in a research experience, too, besides adding other missing EC-areas (leadership/weekly nonmedical community service).

...to get your BCPM into a more competitive range.

Waittt....BCMP = bio chem math physics?

Does this mean that math classes are counted in science GPA calculation? I am in engineering with about 16 credits worth of calculus A's (more on the way) that I didn't include to calculate that 3.14..

Do med schools include all math classes to calculate sGPA, or only some or none?