Please Chance Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demihorvat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got my MCAT score back today, and I was very disappointed. I'm now really fretting about medical school and whether or not Ill get in, so please do chance me! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Me: Canadian citizen, hoping to get into any DO school

MCAT: 24 (9 verbal, 6 bio, 9 physical).
GPA: so far its 3.4 (I'm a 3rd year).
Shadowing: 3 months (480 hours) of shadowing a MD in China Hospital Nephrology Department.
Research: 1 year at a pain research lab. No publications.
Clubs/leadership positions: Wellness Peer, Equity Ambassador, Fundraising Director, Mentoring Club Planning Committee, Health Promotion Team, Co-president at Mental Awareness Club.

I realize that I will most likely need to retake my MCAT for better chances at acceptance. My questions are: my chances of getting based on current stats AND when I should retake my MCAT next summer so that when I apply I would still be considered "early".

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

With a Bio 6, I'd reject you outright. Didn't you learn anything in college? I feel your chances with this low a subscore to be zero at this point; STRONGLY sugegst a retake. If you ttak ein May, you have plenty of time to fix problems and apply in June of 2014.

as to when to re-take? Owhenever you're ready, but first you must fix whatever deficits you have in your knowledge base of Biology.

Hi everyone,

I got my MCAT score back today, and I was very disappointed. I'm now really fretting about medical school and whether or not Ill get in, so please do chance me! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Me: Canadian citizen, hoping to get into any DO school

MCAT: 24 (9 verbal, 6 bio, 9 physical).
GPA: so far its 3.4 (I'm a 3rd year).
Shadowing: 3 months (480 hours) of shadowing a MD in China Hospital Nephrology Department.
Research: 1 year at a pain research lab. No publications.
Clubs/leadership positions: Wellness Peer, Equity Ambassador, Fundraising Director, Mentoring Club Planning Committee, Health Promotion Team, Co-president at Mental Awareness Club.

I realize that I will most likely need to retake my MCAT for better chances at acceptance. My questions are: my chances of getting based on current stats AND when I should retake my MCAT next summer so that when I apply I would still be considered "early".

Thank you!!!

I've heard of a US national applying to LMU-DCOM being accepted with a 5 in bio. It is extremely rare and he went out of his to show this school how dedicated he was. As a Canadian, I feel that your chances are close to none. I would retake and apply with a 26 minimum (and an 8 in bio). The average international matriculated student has a 29 and there is a 3 point standard deviation.

Are you a bio major? I did the non-traditional, informal post-bac route which I know is different than your traditional status. If you haven't yet, I would take a few more bio courses such as micro or some sort of physiology course. When I took my last mcat ( 27 with 9's all around), I felt so much better about bio prep after I took time off from studying for the mcat after taking microbiology and immunology.

It may not be necessary but just an idea of how you can have a better understanding of bio. The supplemental book Orgo as a 2nd language really, really, helped me understand orgo better and really dumbed things down to where I felt comfortable with any mcat problems and passages.