:) Please chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayThomas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you for taking the time to review my information ! Here are my statistics!
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 32 P

I come from a state school (Alaska-UAA) which is a feeder school to UWSOM.I received a bachelors of biology from this school
I hold an RN degree and am one of the RN managers in the ER I currently work for. (I graduated with my BSN in 2010)
So, here's the catch. My first 2 years of school I ended with a GPA of 3.0. I failed 2 classes, and had a couple of C's intermixed with several A's. I re-took those classes and received A's and B's.
I have 2 withdrawals from my transcript, I re-took those classes and scored A's.
I volunteered in the ICU during my nursing school education, but that was in 2006, I have no current volunteer experience nor research experience (Work full time)
I have leadership abilities in work only.
I was a "March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Nominee for Emergency Nursing."
I serve as a member for my hospitals Quick Response Team, fill-in for IV team, and attend the palliative, hospice, and nutrition meetings.
I have great recommendations from 2 MD's and 2 ANP's from my hospital, and I'm not sure about the ones I received from faculty here at UAA

My Nursing School GPA was 3.07, and all of those credits now count as health elective credits.

So in summation: I have a strong clinical background with not-so-great GPA standings at a State College. I don't have any volunteer experience nor research due to working full time. I don't have many EC's other than the weekly meetings I attend at my hospital.
On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate me for a
Mid Tier School
Low Tier School

and again, thanks for taking the time to review this! It really means a lot to me

Members don't see this ad.

As you are probably aware, your GPA might hold you back in this process. When do you plan on applying? I would suggest maybe retaking some science courses you did the worst in and help your GPA. Getting A's in them will help you. Also if you are applying to DO schools you can raise it significantly using their grade replacement. As of now I could see you getting interviews at DO schools but MD schools would be a roll of the dice. Your MCAT is right at the average of applicants that matriculate into MD programs and well above DO. But your GPA is below average for both MD and DO.

So besides clinical activites, what non-medical volunteering/experiences do you have? any teaching or leadership experiences? any interesting/unique hobbies/pastimes?

These could really help you because being a slightly below average applicant..you need something to make you stand out.

You should eqsily be able to swing some interviews at DO schools, including mine. med schools? You're on the low side, but might be OK for some of the low-tier (ONLY) schools.

Hey guys, thank you for taking the time to review my information ! Here are my statistics!
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 32 P

I come from a state school (Alaska-UAA) which is a feeder school to UWSOM.I received a bachelors of biology from this school
I hold an RN degree and am one of the RN managers in the ER I currently work for. (I graduated with my BSN in 2010)
So, here's the catch. My first 2 years of school I ended with a GPA of 3.0. I failed 2 classes, and had a couple of C's intermixed with several A's. I re-took those classes and received A's and B's.
I have 2 withdrawals from my transcript, I re-took those classes and scored A's.
I volunteered in the ICU during my nursing school education, but that was in 2006, I have no current volunteer experience nor research experience (Work full time)
I have leadership abilities in work only.
I was a "March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Nominee for Emergency Nursing."
I serve as a member for my hospitals Quick Response Team, fill-in for IV team, and attend the palliative, hospice, and nutrition meetings.
I have great recommendations from 2 MD's and 2 ANP's from my hospital, and I'm not sure about the ones I received from faculty here at UAA

My Nursing School GPA was 3.07, and all of those credits now count as health elective credits.

So in summation: I have a strong clinical background with not-so-great GPA standings at a State College. I don't have any volunteer experience nor research due to working full time. I don't have many EC's other than the weekly meetings I attend at my hospital.
On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate me for a
Mid Tier School
Low Tier School

and again, thanks for taking the time to review this! It really means a lot to me