Please chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dan22203

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just hoping I can get an idea of what my odds are. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 22Q (VS: 7; PS: 7; BS: 8).

I know the MCAT score is very low. I'm actually retaking the exam this month. Just wanted to see what my chances are of getting in ANYWHERE (not picky at all), this includes both MD and DO schools. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow...the disparity between your GPA and MCAT score is pretty high. I think you have zero chance at an MD school. Depending on your ECs, PS, LORs, you might get some II from DO schools but a 22 is low even for DO.

Just hoping I can get an idea of what my odds are. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 22Q (VS: 7; PS: 7; BS: 8).

I know the MCAT score is very low. I'm actually retaking the exam this month. Just wanted to see what my chances are of getting in ANYWHERE (not picky at all), this includes both MD and DO schools. Thanks for any advice.

Wow...the disparity between your GPA and MCAT score is pretty high. I think you have zero chance at an MD school. Depending on your ECs, PS, LORs, you might get some II from DO schools but a 22 is low even for DO.

Thanks for the honesty. Assuming I do better the second time around, I guess my chances will be better? Or will this one bad score ruin my chances for life?

Any other advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not dead, but you wil have to ace the MCAT next time to be competitive. Shoot for >30 and you'll be back on track. Are you a poor standardized test taker? If so, get that fixed first.

Thanks for the honesty. Assuming I do better the second time around, I guess my chances will be better? Or will this one bad score ruin my chances for life?

Any other advice is much appreciated.

You're not dead, but you wil have to ace the MCAT next time to be competitive. Shoot for >30 and you'll be back on track. Are you a poor standardized test taker? If so, get that fixed first.

Thanks. I generally am a bad standardized test taker, but I hate using that as an excuse. I just retook the exam yesterday - if my scores are still sub-par, should I even bother continuing with the application process, or should I withdraw and really study hard to take the MCAT again early next year for the 2014 application cycle?

Thanks for any other advice - I don't want to give up on this!

My advice is to forget about applying this year and concentrate on improving your test taking skills. We faculty are addicted to standardized tests, so you have to master this skill, even though standardized tests, as an assessment means, suck.

Thanks. I generally am a bad standardized test taker, but I hate using that as an excuse. I just retook the exam yesterday - if my scores are still sub-par, should I even bother continuing with the application process, or should I withdraw and really study hard to take the MCAT again early next year for the 2014 application cycle?

Thanks for any other advice - I don't want to give up on this!

My advice is to forget about applying this year and concentrate on improving your test taking skills. We faculty are addicted to standardized tests, so you have to master this skill, even though standardized tests, as an assessment means, suck.

Thank you. I will wait to see how I did on the exam I took yesterday - maybe by the grace of god I impoved my score enough to be competitive for DO. But if not then I will take your advice and focus on improving my test taking skills. Will having 3 attempts under my belt look very bad?

Thank you. I will wait to see how I did on the exam I took yesterday - maybe by the grace of god I impoved my score enough to be competitive for DO. But if not then I will take your advice and focus on improving my test taking skills. Will having 3 attempts under my belt look very bad?

If your scores fail to improve or even drop, then yes. Otherwise, not necessarily.

How did you study for the MCAT? If you studied alone, then I would recommend taking one of those prep courses, and vice versa.

24+ MCAT will give u a shot at DO

27+ shot at MD

Assuming ur EC's are decent and LOR's in line.

Check out the Underdog Thread