please check out my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToBeAnMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a FL resident with a cGPA of 3.58 and sGPA of 3.59. 31O mcat. I have 236.5 hours of volunteer service from my activity with Alternative Break Corps which I led volunteer trips and was a member of the board for two years in undergrad. After that I worked as a Bio lab TA and tutor. Since graduating (may 09) I haven't done much because I had surgery.

This is the list of schools:
U South Florida
U Florida (my sister really wants me to apply here)
Florida State
U Central Fl
U Miami
Drexel
GW
Temple
NYMC
U South Carolina

The out of state schools Idk too much about but most were "go for it" on the school selector except temple. I also looked up stuff about the OOS schools and their programs sounded good.

Anyway I want to know what you all think, is the list complete? Do i need more safeties? Any school recommendations. Thanks in advance! Sorry for any errors in grammar it's hard to type with the left hand :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a FL resident with a cGPA of 3.58 and sGPA of 3.59. 31O mcat. I have 236.5 hours of volunteer service from my activity with Alternative Break Corps which I led volunteer trips and was a member of the board for two years in undergrad. After that I worked as a Bio lab TA and tutor. Since graduating (may 09) I haven't done much because I had surgery.

This is the list of schools:
U South Florida
U Florida (my sister really wants me to apply here)
Florida State
U Central Fl
U Miami
Drexel
GW
Temple
NYMC
U South Carolina

The out of state schools Idk too much about but most were "go for it" on the school selector except temple. I also looked up stuff about the OOS schools and their programs sounded good.

Anyway I want to know what you all think, is the list complete? Do i need more safeties? Any school recommendations. Thanks in advance! Sorry for any errors in grammar it's hard to type with the left hand :)

I think 10 schools is just a tad on the low end. Perhaps increase it closer to 15? You could consider schools like Albany, UIllinois, Northeastern OH, VCU, Rosalind Franklin, Eastern Virginia, and Tulane.

Thanks for the help I will look into the 5 schools you listed

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have clinical experience and physician shadowing? Your community service, leadership, and teaching sound fine, but adcomms will want to know that you've tested your tolerance for working in a medical environment with sick people and have a practical knowledge of what doctors do all day. Perhaps your volunteer trips provided this experience?

Do you have clinical experience and physician shadowing? Your community service, leadership, and teaching sound fine, but adcomms will want to know that you've tested your tolerance for working in a medical environment with sick people and have a practical knowledge of what doctors do all day. Perhaps your volunteer trips provided this experience?

I do have some experience. I was in a program at UM med school last summer. I took part in cadaver dissections (I dissected the top half of a body and it was really cool!) and there were hospital rotations in which I shadowed rotating IMs and neurosurgeons in the OR (and more) but it was only one day each.

I do have some experience. I was in a program at UM med school last summer. I took part in cadaver dissections (I dissected the top half of a body and it was really cool!) and there were hospital rotations in which I shadowed rotating IMs and neurosurgeons in the OR (and more) but it was only one day each.

Of course, cadaver dissections are not clinical experience per se, lol, but it is a fun experience for sure. But the rest is good stuff, make sure you present that in a smart way, and try to make it sound like more than one day each.

Of course, cadaver dissections are not clinical experience per se, lol, but it is a fun experience for sure. But the rest is good stuff, make sure you present that in a smart way, and try to make it sound like more than one day each.

Okay thanks for the advice. I did mention one experience I had when observing a neurosurgery (tumor debulking) at UM in my ps and also added that I had other rotations too.

I think it might be judicious for you to get started on some clinical volunteering now. Even though it's too late to get it on your application, it would be good material to include in future update letters to your schools, in case it might sway them to decide in your favor, and to talk about at interviews.

I think it might be judicious for you to get started on some clinical volunteering now. Even though it's too late to get it on your application, it would be good material to include in future update letters to your schools, in case it might sway them to decide in your favor, and to talk about at interviews.

Yeah i have been thinking about doing that in a month or so but right now my arm is in a sling as i recover from shoulder surgery and i'm not of much use. Thanks for the suggestion though.

What about volunteering for a crisis hotline or to do peer counseling? You could do that with a sling.

What about volunteering for a crisis hotline or to do peer counseling? You could do that with a sling.

But that's not clinical experience. i wonder if i could volunteer at a hospice in a sling. any ideas? i know someone who works at a hospice

But that's not clinical experience. i wonder if i could volunteer at a hospice in a sling. any ideas? i know someone who works at a hospice
They are however community service with clinical relevance. I think hospice with one arm might be hard. Nursing home volunteering where you are mainly providing social stimulation could work for you.

They are however community service with clinical relevance. I think hospice with one arm might be hard. Nursing home volunteering where you are mainly providing social stimulation could work for you.

Oh i thought hospice was mostly social oops.

I guess it could depend on the hospice program and what they let/require volunteers to do. If there is a local program, it wouldn't hurt to ask, but I'd expect that repositioning patients is a pretty common need.

I guess it could depend on the hospice program and what they let/require volunteers to do. If there is a local program, it wouldn't hurt to ask, but I'd expect that repositioning patients is a pretty common need.

yeah ur probably right. once i get back into town i will look into it. perhaps they will allow me to do other things and let someone else reposition.

so here is my current list of schools after adding some suggested ones:
U miami
U florida
U Central Fl
U south fl
Fl state
rosalind franklin
albany
temple
GW
U illinois
Tulane
NYMC
drexel
EVMS
Virginia commonwealth
U south carolina

any other suggestions? (enough schools, add some more, etc)

I'm fine with that list. Others will say add four more, but IMO, with your numbers, your chances are good with what you have. You could always add others after submitting if you come across more that appeal to you. Be aware that OOS tuition for UIllinois is horrific.

I'm fine with that list. Others will say add four more, but IMO, with your numbers, your chances are good with what you have. You could always add others after submitting if you come across more that appeal to you. Be aware that OOS tuition for UIllinois is horrific.

Wow ur right it is high. and tuition for U S Carolina is even higher! i may look into replacing the two