1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Please Create a Vascular Surgery Forum

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by gerickson03m, May 14, 2007.

1. gerickson03m

gerickson03m Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Moderator, please create a vascular surgery forum. Its one of the subs not listed and would be a great addition. The match comes out soon on the 23rd!!

Grant

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you offer to be a moderator it might help the cause! :)

4. gerickson03m

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well I would be happy to moderate the vascular forum. Who do I talk to to get this set up?

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are many, many subspecialties which don't have their own forum and are well served in the main surgical or other specialty forums. Vascular Surgery is popular, but no more so than CT Surgery, Gastroenterology or Heme-Onc, none of which have their own forum.

SDN has grown rapidly over the last few years and many of us believe, it has grown TOO rapidly, adding forums which see little traffic. We are trying to learn from our mistakes and it doesn't make much sense to add a forum which would have fewer than 10 regular users (counting the people I know who are interested in Vascular off the top of my head). We've made that mistake before and do not wish to repeat it.

Frankly, if we added Vascular, we would really have to add CT before Vascular, given the level of interest and we've decided against doing that to date. Thank you for your interest and I'll present your request to the other Mods and Admins.

6. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I thought you were going to do CT - did you change your mind?

7. gerickson03m

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ya, changed in my 2nd year when I saw that they have no future. I am now waiting until next week to find out where i go for vascular fellowship. Thanks for considering this.

8. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Shhh...don't let the CT crew see that comment!:cool:

Early poll results have 0 votes for a Vascular subforum, even from the Mod who has matched into Vascular. Another reason given, besides those I gave above is that the more forums, the more the posts are diluted and the less chance there is that people will see your posts and respond to them. But I will keep you informed of the "final" results over say the next 72 hrs.

Best of luck in the match (BTW, you might want to change your Profile - it still shows you as a PGY-1).

9. ESU_MD

ESU_MD Old School
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i vote for CT forum
    ... btw, the field is not dying at all. there will be a big shortage in just a few yrs. and the ct surgeons will majestically return to their rightful place in the surgical world- (at least I hope_

10. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Damn. I knew one of you guys would hear us.

We're not voting for a CT forum (and if it makes you feel better, it doesn't look like Vascular will get one either)!;) Therefore, I ignore your vote.

11. Another vote for CT here! :)

12. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I must've met you somewhere along the interview trail. I'll (hopefully) match on May 23rd too! Drop me a PM!