Please critique my pre-med schedule!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Biochem major and going to be a Sophomore. I want to have the best schedule so that I will be prepared for the MCATS and will look strong for Medschool.

AST 328: Search for Life in the Universe (It sounds interesting?, mainly why I chose it, its a Diversified Education Requirement, DEC) 3 units

BIO 325: Animal Development (not sure about this one, should I take either a Physiology or Genetics course instead?) 3 units

CHE 321: Organic Chem I, 0 units

CHE 321: Organic Chem I Recitation, 4 units

MAT 126: Calculus B (its what I placed into), 0 units

MAT: 126 Calculus B Recitation, 3 units

PHI 108: Logic and Critical Reasoning (another DEC), 3 units

16 CREDITS

This is the sample course-load on my Undergraduate Bulletin for a Sophomore during the Fall of 2007:

BIO 201 or 202 (Im a transfer and I already took into Bio) 4 credits
CHE 321, 4 credits
MAT 127 (apparently I placed into MAT 126) 3 credits
D.E.C., 3 credits
D.E.C., 3 credits

17 CREDITS

If you are wondering where Physics is, It shows it as being taken during Junior year

Members don't see this ad.

As a fellow biochemmer, this is what my schedule looks like 1st, 2nd, and the first half of 3rd year:

First:
Gen Chem 1/2
Precalc/Calc 1
Intro to Lit/English Comp
Intro to Bio 1/2
Intro to Sociology (Spring)
15/18 Credits

Second:
Orgo 1/2
Physics 1/2
Calc 2/3
Intro to Communications (Fall)
Inorganic Chem (Spring)
Belief and Thought/Power, Democracy, Oppression

18/18 Credits

Fall 3rd:

Molec Struct Biochem
Analytical Chem
P-Chem 1
Microbio
Lit of Chem

17 credits

If you take physics your junior year you can take your MCAT in May after the semester is over. If you're a good student that doesn't get sidetracked maybe a bit earlier but you will need to teach yourself the physics that you haven't learned in class yet. Most people take physics second year.

I'd take physics earlier and physiology

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I take physics Sophomore year I willl need to drop a class, or I will probably overload myself...I kind of need the DEC's...and for BIO I have a choice of Mammalian Physiology, but a student advisor at the orientation told me that that class is really terrible (as in boring, bland). I was thinking since I am sort of ahead in BIO, (I already took the intro level 2 stuff), that I could drop that class and add the physics, but I would only do that if it's really neccessary. I could either take Mammalian Physiology,OR Physics, in addition to my standing courseload.

When do MOST people take their MCAT? If I take physics Junior year I would be best off to take the MCAT May of Junior year, because I am sure there is some physics on the MCAT.

Basically, I need the classes that will help me on the MCAT and want to cut the fluff of classes I don't need to be taking/wasting my time with.. Thanks!

Fellow biochem rising sophmore here:

note- my school uses 3 core bio courses for science majors/premeds

Freshman(fall)
gen chem 1
seminar (required)
calc 1
chem lab
public health (for the hell of it)

(spring)
gen chem 2
seminar
calc 2
bio 1 (+ lab)
communication disorders

Sophmore(fall)
Ochem 1
Ochem lab 1
seminar
bio 2
Hebrew 101

(Spring)
Ochem 2
Ochem lab 2
bio 3
Hebrew 102
And another course i havnt picked yet

I'll either take physics over the summer so that i can get an early MCAT during junior year, or just take physics junior year and wait to take MCATS until end of year.

So if I take physics Sophomore year I willl need to drop a class, or I will probably overload myself...I kind of need the DEC's...and for BIO I have a choice of Mammalian Physiology, but a student advisor at the orientation told me that that class is really terrible (as in boring, bland). I was thinking since I am sort of ahead in BIO, (I already took the intro level 2 stuff), that I could drop that class and add the physics, but I would only do that if it's really neccessary. I could either take Mammalian Physiology,OR Physics, in addition to my standing courseload.

When do MOST people take their MCAT? If I take physics Junior year I would be best off to take the MCAT May of Junior year, because I am sure there is some physics on the MCAT.

Basically, I need the classes that will help me on the MCAT and want to cut the fluff of classes I don't need to be taking/wasting my time with.. Thanks!

Basically, you need Physics I & II and Physiology on top of everything else you are taking. Most people end up taking their MCAT last minute (April-August of Jr. yr.). However, some choose to take it as soon as they finish their pre-reqs, usually the summer after their sophomore year. Which is what I would suggest in your case. After you have Physics I & II under your belt, you should be good to go. That way you'll have plenty of time to retake if the need arises. As far as classes go, Physiology is just gravy, damn good gravy I might add. Take the MCAT when you feel you will do the best. Whether that is last minute, or in a few months is up to you. Good luck!

Given the new MCAT schedule, as long as you work hard you would probably be able to take your MCAT during the 2nd semester of your 3rd year, or even the summer after your 3rd year. Basically you want your MCAT scores to be out by July of the summer before your 4th year to apply on time.

Like the previous posters said, if you can teach yourself some of the physics needed for the MCAT, you can delay the physics until your 3rd year. Otherwise I'd recommend you to take it during your second year.

Skip Bio if you feel like you understand it pretty well. A lot of the bio physiology stuff on MCAT I actually learned in my physics class (how muscles work, the circulatory system, how medical equipment like a CT scanner, etc, work). If you're a dedicated student who likes biology, that's the easiest subject to learn on your own, because it's basically just memorizing -parts of the cell, genetics terminology (all those pesky moving genes, and Mendel type stuff). There is no way I would have taught myself how to calculate pKa given the equilibrium constant, however.

So, if you really want to be the pimpinest premed on the block, take gen chem, organic, and physics this year, then schedule mcat in, say, June, so you have a whole year of cushion in case it sucks, plus plenty of time to study after your finals (but not Too much, or you'll forget all the stuff you learned for your finals).

If you look at the more recently released MCATs online, and look at the MCAT forum, the exams have, more and more, been emphasizing second semester physics and chem (eg equilibrium constants, electromagnetism), as well as bio topics like genetics, which aren't typically emphasized in first semester bio.

If you just want to be well set, I would intentionally take orgo and bio this year, and physics and gen chem (or, if you don't need gen chem anymore, some chem class where they will force you to think about K, q, logs, etc) next year, so that when you take MCAT in May of your junior year, all that physics and genchem will be fresh. As a biochem major, I would think that your BS section will go just fine. If you're worried about verbal, take some upper level humanities course that forces you to analyze texts (lit crit?)

To confirm this, I would take a practice MCAT, and compare your sections to each other. Make sure that the parts you score worst in, you are taking classes in the term before you take MCAT.

Just my 25 cents.

Thanks a lot for the responses, it seems like the major consensus is to take Physics this year. How would I fit it into my schedule? Should I drop Bio? I'm not really confident in teaching myself the topics that I think will be on the MCAT, I'd rather have a formal course, if possible. Would just tacking on Physics into my courseload be doable or way too much?

Does my schedule look OK as is or would it be in my best interest to change something (like adding physics)?

Here is what I am thinking to do, drop the Bio class, as its basically an elective, add the physics so next year when it says I SHOULD take a Bio elective I will take physiology and I won't have to take physics. Does this sound good or is it just not neccessary? Perhaps I could take the MCAT end of Junior year, like an above poster mentioned, and if I take physics Junior year, it will be much fresher in my mind.

BTW, to the above poster, I've already taken Gen Chem I and II, so that's pretty much out of the way.

Thanks a lot for the responses, it seems like the major consensus is to take Physics this year. How would I fit it into my schedule? Should I drop Bio? I'm not really confident in teaching myself the topics that I think will be on the MCAT, I'd rather have a formal course, if possible. Would just tacking on Physics into my courseload be doable or way too much?

Does my schedule look OK as is or would it be in my best interest to change something (like adding physics)?

Here is what I am thinking to do, drop the Bio class, as its basically an elective, add the physics so next year when it says I SHOULD take a Bio elective I will take physiology and I won't have to take physics. Does this sound good or is it just not neccessary? Perhaps I could take the MCAT end of Junior year, like an abovr poster mentioned, and if I take physics Junior year, it will be much fresher in my mind.

BTW, to the above poster, I've already taken Gen Chem I and II, so that's pretty much out of the way.

why can't you just switch physics and gen ed classes? gen eds can be taken whenever...

I really wish I took Physics earlier (not my junior year)... Like they said, take gen eds later

I guess I could take out one (or both?) Gen ED(s), leave the Bio and switch it for Physiology? and take the physics course with its respective lab. How does that sound? I don't want to kill myself with classes, to be honest! My school is pretty well known for its tough sciences.

Just curious, if taking the MCAT the April or May of Junior year, why is it an advantage to take Physics in your Sophmore year instead of Junior year??

hah u go to stony brook university? I recognize the courses and the DEC requirements.

I took PHY 121 and 122 my sophomore year, a very wise decision and it helped out. I didn't really follow the outline they gave us in the handbook and I'm doing just fine for my major (Pharmacology) and classes. I'm an incoming senior, I would sign up for 121 and 122 with Hemmick/Drees and drop the DECs for now.

Just curious, if taking the MCAT the April or May of Junior year, why is it an advantage to take Physics in your Sophmore year instead of Junior year??

Because if you don't teach yourself the physics and sit for the MCAT in April or May you may do poorly. You won't get your scores back to May/June and will have to retake once you see your scores. That will put you into June/July atleast and you won't get your scores back until July/August. Once August hits, its getting to be late in the app season. If your MCAT is mediocre you can submit the scores and indicate you're taking it in the future, but your app will not be complete. Most pre-med advisory professionals recommend it second year.

Thanks so much for the replies, I am really listening and I am taking all your advice into consideration.

I have decided to take Physics, and drop the Gen eds, which I can take Junior year.

I am now stuck between staying with Animal Development, changing to Mammalian Physiology (which people say on ratemyprofessor.com that he is crazy hard, but the prep for the MCAT is great), or Genetics. Which is going to be more useful for the MCAT?

Richter915: I am trying to sign up for Phy 121/123 but there is no "check" next to the course on the left hand side? Does this mean its not available? And also, when you are on a wait list, like I am for Orgo, do you read the Recitation wait list and not the lecture? Because I am #4 on the Recitaion but 54 on the Lecture. Thanks all!

hey guys i m gonna be a sophmore this year and have a similar problem.

BCS200 STATISTICAL ANALYSIS&EXP DSG 03.0
1BCS200L STAT ANALYSIS&EXP DESIGN-LAB 01.0
1CHM203 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY 04.0
1CHM207 ORG LAB LECTURE 01.0
1MTH142 CALCULUS II 04.0
1NSC201 BASIC NEUROBIOLOGY 04.0
1NSC201L BASIC NEUROBIOLOGY LAB 01.0
1SKT101 SANSKRIT I 04.0

22 credits for the fall and my major is neuroscience. and since i m not taking physics this year i m guessing i have to take the MCAT sometime during junior year or the summer after junior year. is that too late? should i drop something and take physics now? and i was also planning on taking a review class either EK or Kaplan the summer after my sophmore year which means that i would be learning the physics material before i take the class in school. Is that a good idea? these are a couple questions i had thx :)

premedmind: I never took Genetics, but it was easy learning the basics of genetics for the MCAT. On the other hand, if I hadn't taken Mammalian Phys at my college, I would have scored atleast 3 points lower on the Biological Sciences section. The professor for the class geared the class towards premeds by making MCAT-type questions, so that might have helped. Based on the RateMyProfessor comments, I'm guessing it will be just as helpful for you.

hopeinternist: Personally, I would never take an MCAT Prep class without taking the basic sciences first. When I took Kaplan, I noticed that the Physics section was just memorization of formulas. Not really a good way to learn. People who hadn't taken Physics before the Kaplan class were really struggling on the Physical Sciences section. Perhaps if you took Physics in High School, understood all the material, and it is still fresh in your mind, you could take the Kaplan/EK class first.

Edit: I just realized, you guys have the coolest classes, "Search for Life in the Universe" "Belief and Thought/Power, Democracy, Oppression" "Sanskrit." I wish I could take some of those!

Edit: I just realized, you guys have the coolest classes, "Search for Life in the Universe" "Belief and Thought/Power, Democracy, Oppression" "Sanskrit." I wish I could take some of those!

Going to a strictly health professional/enter the lab after graduation school it is a nice break. Although, the humanities faculty, I feel, has it out for all of us because we obviously love science over the liberal arts and humanities ;). Belief and Thought along with Power, Democracy, and Oppression are 2 of 5 or 6 classes that I take that are not science related.

ok i definietly see your point, so then is it a good idea for me to drop orgo and take physics instead. Is it possible to just learn all the orgo needed for the MCAT from the Kaplan class which i ll take next summer? or should i be postponing my major reqs such as neuroscience or statistics till junior or senior year.

ok i definietly see your point, so then is it a good idea for me to drop orgo and take physics instead. Is it possible to just learn all the orgo needed for the MCAT from the Kaplan class which i ll take next summer? or should i be postponing my major reqs such as neuroscience or statistics till junior or senior year.

You need to talk to your advisor. Taking advice from SDN is probably not the best place to start when you're considering shuffling around core requirements, etc. You will not learn all of organic from Kaplan, there is way too much. Plus, organic is a requirement for most if not all medical schools so you'll need 6 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab.