Please discontinue the derogatory term "allopathic" in this and the pre-med forum.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should SDN replace the innacurate and derogatory term "Allopathy" and replace it with "Medicine?"

• Yes

• No

• Should SDN replace the innacurate term "Allopathy" and replace it with "Medicine?"

Results are only viewable after voting.
Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on renaming these forums simply as MD Student Forums and DO Student Forums (and premed counterparts as pre-MD and pre-DO)? We maintain the same differences but remove underlying stereotypes regarding terminology

Is anyone other than OP really butthurt enough to actually think this is necessary? I didn't realize all of the big egos on this site were that fragile.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone other than OP really butthurt enough to actually think this is necessary? I didn't realize all of the big egos on this site were that fragile.

Yeah it's not really necessary, but just a suggestion to minimize hurt feelings regarding the terminology used. I do agree with the claim that the term "allopathic" was initially used as an insult but honestly, meanings change, and the terms allopathic and osteopathic are just historical now.

I did enjoy the conversation regarding SDN's early history. Good to learn something new.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In a different vein, but somewhat similar issue, I hate whenever a D.O. commits a crime that is reported in the news, the reporter often sees the need to describe the individual as an osteopath. But if an M.D. commits a crime, the story refers to them as a physician. There always seems to be that built-in prejudice. Just an observation.
Are there really that many news articles about physicians committing crimes for you to have noticed patterns?

Reactions: 1 user
In the regular outside world everyone knows medicine as "medicine," osteopathy in the US is understood to be "osteopathic medicine" and so on. Why is the inaccurate and derogatory term "allopathy" then used to refer to our profession? It could be construed as an attempt at political correctness but in fact is damaging when used in a set of forums geared to the young and less informed candidates as they enter the maze of modern pre-medical and medical education.

Several links for the perplexed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopathic_medicine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

The term was created by homeopaths, and apparently perpetuated by OMT-centered osteopaths for public relations purposes to refer to modern, science based medicine as "relieving symptoms, not disease."

Science, or evidence-based medicine - the M.D. is just that, and not bound by unalterable dogma as the proponents of the term "allopathy" were.

Conversely, many sites refer to osteopathic medicine as a "holistic approach," but the reality is that our D.O colleagues rightfully emphasize how the only difference between the formal training of an M.D. and D.O. is a class on osteopathic manipulative therapy (OMT) - and this is generally true. Other differences, such as non-uniformity of clinical training and mandatory AOA membership are more circumstantial and arguably not one wished for by many D.Os. A holistic approach is something all modern education of health sciences has moved towards becoming, it's pretty much the essence of "Family Practice" as a specialty - regardless of whether accredited by the ACGME or AOA.

Could we then please discontinue to perpetuate the inaccurate and derogatory term "allopathy" in a site where your hopefuls who are not yet exposed to the entire world as it really exists and refer to our professions by accurate and non-derogatory terms?

Please relabel the websites terms "Allopathic" to "Medicine" or "Medical" and "Pre-allopathic" to "Pre-medical."

While at it, the term "mid-levels" in this site was replaced by "Clinicians" - another misnomer, as the term refers to anyone from an LPN through M.D. and everyone in between, when in the forums it refers specifically to PAs, NPs and RNs.

"Clinicians" should be accurately renamed to "Physician Assistant, Nurses, and Nurse Practitioners." Those are legitimate professions and there's no need to obfuscate who they are. They are also clearly understood as "Mid-Level Healthcare Professions" by the world at large. there is nothing derogatory in the use of a clear, accurate term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinician

Thank you.
*low whistle*

someone had too much time on their hands today.

Are there really that many news articles about physicians committing crimes for you to have noticed patterns?

Lol this was brought up in lecture at my friend's school.

I remember some feminazis who held "ovulars" because they didn't like the word "seminar" and its word origins shared with "semen".

And to OP, allopath is a descriptor. It's a word. Nothing more. Deal with it.
This sums up the answer to OP's question quite nicely.

Lets be honest here. What percentage of DO students, if they had the credentials, would still choose DO if they were accepted into a non-IMG MD program?
Also wtf? ^^ :beat::beat::wtf::wtf:

Also, 70% of the survey respondents answered no to your query, OP.

Reactions: 1 user
I never even heard the term until I came to this board and have never heard it uttered in real life.

Reactions: 2 users
upload_2016-9-15_13-11-22.png

Reactions: 8 users