Please drop by, I need you 2 cents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DICK

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll keep it short,

Did you use a professional online editing service for you personal statement? If you did, what do you suggest is a good service and package to use?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DICK said:
I'll keep it short,

Did you use a professional online editing service for you personal statement? If you did, what do you suggest is a good service and package to use?

Thanks

Nobody wants to admit to this, huh? Or maybe fewer people than I thought actually use these kinds of services. I don't think it's taboo or anything, is it? If it's not, and you have some information you would like to share, please post...

Thanks again

I never used it but i did think about it. I believe a few people have used EssayEdge, its suppose to be good. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used essayedge but wasn't too satisfied with their service...maybe I just got a bad editor? *shrug*

The word on the street is that Gavin is the man in reviewing essays.......

hey, thanks all,

now that you all mention it, i do recall a friend mentioning essayedge. I think i'll check it out!

I really need to get this essay done, after that, my apps are going...bub bye :laugh:

thanks again guys! :)

DICK said:
Nobody wants to admit to this, huh? Or maybe fewer people than I thought actually use these kinds of services. I don't think it's taboo or anything, is it? If it's not, and you have some information you would like to share, please post...

Thanks again

if you do a search you will find other threads with more advice and opinions. I remember reading one a few months ago . . ..

So where is the piggy bank to drop the 2 cents in??

i used essayrx ($75) because many people recommended it. i was very satisfied with the edit.

Gavin use to offer that until he got busted :D

I didn't use any and personally think it's a waste of money.

Will sell mine for BO :cool: kidding :)

I just used my university english department and had people look it over and edit it.
I would say spending any money on this is not the most economical way of doing things. BUT whatever makes you feel good.

WOW - I didn't expect another surge of POSTS, but thanks ;)

onetoothleft - How do I do I use the search tool? Others have also told me about this.

Comet208 - :thumbdown: bad joke

themarvinh - never heard of it, can you elaborate?

DDS2B - he got busted? by who? i think he charges now.

natroncb - yeah, my english prof hates me (i won't get into it)

And as always, thanks again (I think I should get the phrase 'thanks again', patented, since i use it all the time :laugh: )

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
etoolky1 said:

I'm 50, 50 between Gavin and EssayEdge.

I guess it's obvious who has the 'Edge' in terms of Service. (the pun was kind of intended)

Can't decide, but the decision WILL be made within the next 6-7 Hours :scared:

DICK said:
I'll keep it short,

Thanks

I did not use a professional editing service, I just had a few members of my family read it over and tell me what they thought.

ajrooney said:
I did not use a professional editing service, I just had a few members of my family read it over and tell me what they thought.

Yeah, that's easy for you to say, when my family is half chinese and half cuban (who think they have thier own mob or something).

jk, my family is not cuban or chinese

but trust me, my family would be no help here...

DICK said:
Comet208 - :thumbdown: bad joke

I answered the TITLE of your thread.
Now, to answer your question, i went to the writing center at my school and had 2 tutors who are known to comment grad/med/law/business schools essay read and retique my essay 3 times each! all for free!

Comet208 said:
I answered the TITLE of your thread.
Now, to answer your question, i went to the writing center at my school and had 2 tutors who are known to comment grad/med/law/business schools essay read and retique my essay 3 times each! all for free!

oh, in that case, :laugh: , that was kind of funny,

glad to see you got a connection, ;)

I say go with essay edge. I posted a 20% discount coupon code, but you have to search for that on SDN. Do a search on essay edge, and something will pop up. Oh yeah. Gavin edited... how many essays? Gavin, can you tell us? And why did you stop having that as your signature? :laugh: Sorry man. Don't mean to put you on the spot. :laugh:

jk5177 said:
I say go with essay edge. I posted a 20% discount coupon code, but you have to search for that on SDN. Do a search on essay edge, and something will pop up. Oh yeah. Gavin edited... how many essays? Gavin, can you tell us? And why did you stop having that as your signature? :laugh: Sorry man. Don't mean to put you on the spot. :laugh:

I believe he had to stop due to it (the advertising) going against the SDN forum rules. I actually don't mind it...it's better than having 30 threads on the subject of editing personal statements. :p

puncho said:
I believe he had to stop due to it (the advertising) going against the SDN forum rules

Yep, it was a huge conflict of interests because I'm a member of the executive board.

Besides, I've been wanting to donate more money to SDN, so I decided to pay for advertising.

Hey gavin, you do know that Dick has a return trollie right?

I think taking it to ur English department at school would be sufficient. Why pay 75 bucks when u have all the resources for free?

Darby_O'Gill said:
I think taking it to ur English department at school would be sufficient. Why pay 75 bucks when u have all the resources for free?

English department may not be so willing to do it for you. Additionally, you have to consider the trouble of finding the right editor. They may not know the rhetorice behind these admission essays. I still think it is best to go with Essayedge. Or you can go with the English dept., and if that becomes too problematic, then go with essayedge. In my opinion, this essay is too important, and it is easily worth the hundreds of dollars that you will be spending on it. To worry about money at this stage of the game is doing onself a disservice.

jk5177 said:
Additionally, you have to consider the trouble of finding the right editor. They may not know the rhetorice behind these admission essays..

What makes you think EssayEdge knows what it is that 'Dental' Schools look for in an applicant? You may be right! But I wanted an editor who is in dental shool right now, and knows the process. Also the person has to be good in English. That's all I cared for, and that's what ultimately swayed my decision at the end.

But I do agree with you that the personal statement is very important part of the application. And it's worth every penny for an edit.

DICK said:
I'll keep it short,

Thanks

wow, i'm shocked people would pay money to have somebody edit/write their personal statement. by all means, have a friend, teacher, parent proofread what you wrote but don't pay a stranger to do it! i don't think that is honest at all...

do these essays even matter much ? I would think its all bout DAT & GPA ..and activities . Not your writing skills .. :rolleyes:

Late Night said:
do these essays even matter much ? I would think its all bout DAT & GPA ..and activities . Not your writing skills .. :rolleyes:

I think the essay is like a cover letter to the whole package - it can nicely wrap up everything. In my essay last year, I included my DAT scores, the letters of rec, my activities, my hand skills, my science background, my care for other people, and some more. It threads my package together as a whole. Sure DAT and GPA are important. If I didn't have the scores that I had, then the most awesome essay wouldn't make a difference.

syn_apse said:
wow, i'm shocked people would pay money to have somebody edit/write their personal statement. by all means, have a friend, teacher, parent proofread what you wrote but don't pay a stranger to do it! i don't think that is honest at all...

What's the difference between having a professor read/edit a personal statement and paying to have a professional read/edit it? I don't understand the distinction.

ToothDK said:
What's the difference between having a professor read/edit a personal statement and paying to have a professional read/edit it? I don't understand the distinction.
Typically with these packages, there is more than just grammatical editing going on. The point of the personal statement is for the schools to hear your voice.

Everybody has their own ethical standards but for me paying a stranger to "edit" your personal statement is wrong. For future health care providers out there, I really hope I'm not alone on this.

syn_apse said:
Typically with these packages, there is more than just grammatical editing going on. The point of the personal statement is for the schools to hear your voice.

In part, I agree. But moreso, the personal statement is for schools to learn about you. As long as the information contained therein is honest and factual, I don't think the ordering or arrangement of the information infringes on any ethical boundaries. It isn't a writing competition, but better writing does make for a more interesting essay. A more interesting essay is much more likely to get completely read.

Schools will hear your voice when they interview you. In my opinion, a well-written essay can certainly help to get an interview, but it won't get anybody an acceptance. That rests squarely on the applicant's shoulders.

DICK said:
I'll keep it short,

Thanks

I think Princeton Review might do editing of personal statements. If you have a PR center near you, you might want to look into it. I'm not sure how their fees compare to essay edge. I didn't really use an editing service--just my pre-health advisor, my school's career center, and a friend. Get a lot of people to proof it.

ItsGavinC said:
In part, I agree. But moreso, the personal statement is for schools to learn about you. As long as the information contained therein is honest and factual, I don't think the ordering or arrangement of the information infringes on any ethical boundaries. It isn't a writing competition, but better writing does make for a more interesting essay. A more interesting essay is much more likely to get completely read.

Schools will hear your voice when they interview you. In my opinion, a well-written essay can certainly help to get an interview, but it won't get anybody an acceptance. That rests squarely on the applicant's shoulders.
You know Gavin, I was going to keep your name out of this thread to be fair. But now that you have entered with your own biased opinion, I have no problem calling you out. You charge upwards of $130 for these "edits" and you are a moderator on this board! Don't you see this as a conflict of interest? And don't you also see my point that maybe Adcoms don't want to read essays-for-hire?

I respected you a lot more when you did it for free :(

Mayo123 said:
I think Princeton Review might do editing of personal statements. If you have a PR center near you, you might want to look into it. I'm not sure how their fees compare to essay edge. I didn't really use an editing service--just my pre-health advisor, my school's career center, and a friend. Get a lot of people to proof it.

I never had PR editing, and only had EssayEdge editing myself; and I would recommend anybody EssayEdge without a doubt.

There's a thread going of people on SDN willing to edit. I don't know who volunteered, etc. I volunteered and I write CME - so I pretty much sit and write daily. I'm a cruel editor, I'll warn you. But if anyone wants my help, just PM me.

syn_apse said:
You charge upwards of $130 for these "edits" and you are a moderator on this board! Don't you see this as a conflict of interest?

$130 !!! That's the same price as EssayEdge.

Mayo123 said:
I didn't really use an editing service--just my pre-health advisor, my school's career center, and a friend. Get a lot of people to proof it.
It's time consuming and you have to bother people to read. Sometimes they don't return in time. Then you feel like you owe them for a favor. It is good to have them read, so they may suggest you some cotent change. When it comes to the final draft; Dude, pay the $150 and send it to essayedge, within couple days, you are done. Simple as that.

To be fair, I did not find essayedge worth the price. *shrug*

puncho said:
To be fair, I did not find essayedge worth the price. *shrug*
So did you find something that was worth the price?

Well, if I had the time, I would use my school's own writing centre...I also used my siblings who were a bigger help than EE. Up to you I guess...

syn_apse said:
You know Gavin, I was going to keep your name out of this thread to be fair. But now that you have entered with your own biased opinion, I have no problem calling you out. You charge upwards of $130 for these "edits" and you are a moderator on this board! Don't you see this as a conflict of interest? And don't you also see my point that maybe Adcoms don't want to read essays-for-hire?

Yeah, but who works for free? I think, for this thread's purposes, there are two kinds of idiots. People who can't read and write well enough to proof-read and edit their own personal essay and people that would do it for the masses for free.