Please enlighten me! Transfer to Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimcramer85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I would like to ask questions about transfer to pharm school.

a) I have a degree in biology. I have met the requirement for dental school. Does it make me qualify for pharm-transfer student?

b) I have a gpa of 3.2 and sci gpa of 3.1. I got 97% on DAT. If i can crack PCAT and score like 98%. Do I have a chance to transfer?

c) What is the acceptance rate for transfer? Some say it's lower than 3%.

d) When is the earliest time of the year to apply? Do I get interview as early as, say, July?

Please enlighten me on this matter. I am also willing to pay for a phone consultant. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

What you need to do is apply to some pharmacy schools. I don't know what you mean about transferring. The application cycle will open up in June for Fall 2008 entrance. You also need to apply to take the PCAT. If I were you I would apply early to different schools, and get some pharmacy experience. Start shadowing or volunteering, or working as a pharmacy tech. You need to do well on the PCAT, and apply to schools with rolling admissions. Hope this helps. Try searching the forums for more info.

There is no such thing as a "transfer" from Dental school to Pharmacy school, the term "transfer" would only apply if you went to X school for pharmacy and you wanted to transfer to another pharmacy school to finish up your degree. I agree with the above poster's advice.

There is no direct correlation (spelled correct?) between Dental school and Pharmacy. That being said, I have never heard of a transfer from one professional school to another type of professional school - I would say one does not exist.

I believe this only because a large proportion of information learned in Dental school - while useful to its profession - has little to do with pharmacy (Pharmacology, some A&P, and professionalism courses would be useful).

On a positive note - Your gpa is decent (if a tad on the low side), but your ability with the DAT could translate into a decent score on the PCAT. You would simply have to take the PCAT, and then apply for admission. You are looking at Fall 2008 for Pharmacy school matriculation - so start getting things rolling now.

Feel free to post any questions - search is your friend - and let us know if you get stuck anywhere...

~above~