Please explain any low grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attentive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a question regarding some secondary applications that ask the question "please explain any extenuating circumstances, i.e. poor grades, class withdrawals, etc."

I graduated from a top 20 college, with a 3.25 cum, 3.11 BCPM. I had a straight upward trend in grades but from a 2.7 up.

I then graduated from a science heavy class (75 credits,) masters with a 3.95. Got a 33R on MCATs. A lot of ECs in research and volunteering with a few abstract publications and manuscripts on the way.

So my question is since I really did not have any excuses for this poor start, aside from being lackluster about my desire to pursue medicine which really isn't a valid excuse anyway should I leave this blank and let them figure out it was immaturity or address it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

like you said, don't tell them you were feeling lackluster. but you can say things like it was a tough adjustment for me, etc. and then mention your upward trend to show them that you did figure things out eventually.

first semester or year away from college? use that to emphasize how difficult the adjustment was but show and demonstrate how you got your act together after one year/semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll just mention the trend, and use that first year which has been my bane, as a transitional period.

Hey, I have the same question on a secondary that asks to explain any grades lower than a B. I have three C's, in Calc II and in OChem 1 and 2. I wonder how I should explain them, beyond what's true for O Chem in that our prof was difficult, but everyone hears that. The reason for the C in Calc was that a lot of my time was taken up by my new position as a writer for my newspaper. But the Chem grades?? I'm lost on how to explain.....

They'll understand if you come from a top 20 undergraduate school. You put yourself at a disadvantage and you will be rewarded for it. Thank god you have a high MCAT score as well. Good luck

Let me guess, this question comes from the University of South Florida. When I saw that I wanted to write, "You're everyone's back up school. Don't make me explain my low grades to you."

deuist said:
Let me guess, this question comes from the University of South Florida. When I saw that I wanted to write, "You're everyone's back up school. Don't make me explain my low grades to you."

heheeh...Exactly!!! I have no idea what to do, and frankly feel a little insulted. I need them just in case, but I truly would rather not go there and don't want to make my essay sound that way. Le sigh. Let me know if you have any ideas. :rolleyes:

P.S. I just read your pers. statement on your www site out of curiousity and just wanted to say that I spent this summer at UT-Memphis doing research (and have family there, and have lived there before), so it's nice to meet a fellow Florida-Memphian! :)