Please give me a honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyecon82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
j

Members don't see this ad.

your numbers are on the low side.

but then again so are mine. I have a higher cumulative gpa but a lower science gpa.

but i have a higher mcat score than yours.

but yours is not "oh my god i will never get into med school" low.

i do believe it is slightly above the average for people who matriculate into medschool.

so chances are that you have a chance.

your ECs sound solid, and hopefully you can garner a few LORs from them along with some solid ones from your professors. This is always key in the application process.

I assume you took all the medschool prereqs...
major is nothing out of the ordinary...

be proud of your asian-indianess.

and have some faith. the application process isnt as scary as one might think. a lot of us have been through it and most are scared and paranoid in the beginning and at this point a good number of us who felt we could never get in with our numbers have interviews and even acceptances. i know i cant say anything to make u not worry but keep the faith and have some confidence.

write a badass personal statement and never question your abilities. show em why you deserve the same shot as superstar numbers applicant guy.

hopefully you will end up with some MD and DO interviews and chances to gain acceptances by the end of the process.

good luck yo.

does anybody else like 3rd rock from the sun? its so damn good haha. "its better to have had dick and lost dick...then to have never had dick at all..." Dick Solomon.

Hi. Thank you for your response. In regards to the LOR's. I have 1 from my physiology and anatomy professor and she's an MD. Another from my chem professor. and one from the director at this research center i am employed at. What do you think about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
in response to your LORs...

they sound good.

i recommend you get about 5.

3 science prof LORs
1 humanities prof LOR
1 volunteer/research LOR

you have physio/anatomy prof (science-1)
chem prof (science - 2)
research director (extra - 1)

now a humanities is all you need!

:D

i think your numbers are extremely competitive for DO and low, but not UNcompetitive for MD. (and the volunteer experience sounds good for any option you ultimately pursue)

if you've spent so much time shadowing physicians you might want to obtain another recommendation from one of them (for DO, don't you need one from an osteopathic physician?)

Your numbers aren't spectacular, but they're not awful either. I think as long as you have good LORs, and those 400 hours of volunteer work are relevant, your in a pretty good position.
A good friend of mine had no problem getting accepted to several DO schools with a 3.3 and 24N. He loves his school, he doesn't feel like DO was a back-up choice either. Good luck.

Hi RGPorter. What exactly do you mean by "relevant?" I was just curious so I can plan ahead. thanks!

Originally posted by WstSdDesi
MD. DO=MD+OMT.

don't ever say that at a DO school interview. my friend did and his interviewer schooled him for a good 20 mins.

other than that your numbers seem competitive for DO schools and perhaps some lower tier allopathic ones.

Hi RGPorter. What exactly do you mean by "relevant?" I was just curious so I can plan ahead. thanks!

Anything with real patient contact. Other things, like tutoring english as a second lanuage, are good for their own reasons but don't miss out on health care volunteer work.
This is not easy to do. The hardest part is finding something you enjoy in a hospital. Seems to me that in 9 out of 10 positions, you will either sit around doing nothing or do menial tasks for nurses.
I guess that is why some people get a job as an EMT or as a nurse's assistant for health care experience, then volunteer in some other field where they have a better chance of helping people.
Whatever you do though, make sure you get exposure to patient care.

Hi everyone. Well I applied to MD and DO. I didn't use DO for a backup. My goal is to become a physician. In fact, I think a DO is better than a MD. DO=MD+OMT. I have been reading a lot of your posts to seek comfort. I have a 3.2 gpa, 3.25 science gpa, and a 28O MCAT. I know a lot of you hate using numbers as criteria for "competitiveness," but please give me a honest opinion. Currently I am a Senior seeking a degree in Psychology. I have over 400 hours of volunteering at hospitals. Shadowed 2 DO's and 1 MD for a total of 150 hours. I have 2 years of leadership (Vice President of ISA). I'm Asian-Indian and that probably is a downfall for me. I submitted my AACOMAS app at the end of September. I was wondering if anyone experienced in the admissions process can give me my chances of getting in anywhere! I'm losing sleep worrying about this. Thank you very much for your help!!

What state do you have residency in? This will greatly affect your chances at an acceptance, and if you aren't accepted into the school(s) of your choice in the beginning, graduate (MPH, other masters) or post bac programs are probably available in your state too to help buffer your application.

yes, you can totally do it. Your stats sound just like mine - 28R, 3.1 BCPM, etc. I have one MD acceptance so far and have turned down 3 DO interviews because I am withdrawing the DO apps because of the MD acceptance. Your volunteering experience sounds good. I think what helped me is my personal statement (spent a lot of time with it), and my LORs (get them from people who like y ou). Good luck and keep the faith!

keep charging man...my stats weren't great, but had good experience and LOR..I am going to my first choice. Good grades don't mean you will be a good doc. Personality speaks a lot more for that...don't get discouraged by some of the premed monkeys who talk **** about grades and their daddy being a doc and those that would rather piss on your notebook than compare answers on an organic project, adcoms see right thru that ...just have do well at your interview. good luck:p

PS-I think DO is MD+Omt (1st choice is md, but might re think) anyone who puts it down or uses it as a back up is ignent ironie eh). Why woud you not think that 500 extra hours of surface and tactile anatomy is beneficial?:clap:

youcandoit & mcandy,

Hey. Thank you very much for your help. I really do appreciate it. And you are right, I have got a lot of "just withdraw and apply to podiatric medicine or pharmacy because you won't be a Dr." bull****. Being a good Dr. is much more than aptitute and grades, it's about passion towards medicine. The reason why DO stats are much lower is due to the fact that they look at your application beyond your stats. They look at how well you are committed, what you have done to prove yourself to medicine, etc. Thanks again guys

No offense...but, you make it sound like having high grades and aptitude is a bad thing...something that schools need to "look past." How do you know that students with high grades and MCATs are not "passionate about medicine" as well? They could be just as passionate, yet also have the ability to achieve in academics. Just some icing on the cake. The bottom line is grades and MCATs mean something...otherwise what is the point of having them?

"Being a good Dr. is much more than aptitute and grades, it's about passion towards medicine. "

If you look at that it says "much more"...meaning that yea you need aptitude and grades...but that doesn't cut it right there...