Please give me opinions on my PCAT Prelim Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maimi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I took my first PCAT and I haven't gotten my actual scores yet but for the prelim I have

Verbal Ability 427 87%
Biology 418 74%
Reading Comprehension 436 97%
Quantitative Ability 438 95%
Chemistry 418 76%
Composite 427 92%

I know that a 92% is considered a good composite score, but I'm mostly worried about the lower scores for Bio and Chem (which is especially embarrassing because I majored in Bio and Chem :/). From what I read on here, it seems like schools are more interested in the science parts of the exam than the others.

Basically my questions are:
1) How much do schools/interviewers look at individual section scores vs. the composite?
2) Do you think I should retake the PCAT (and potentially risk doing worse)?

Thank you so much for any help/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely do not retake the PCAT. Anything in the 90's is very competitive and you should be very proud of your score!

It really all just depends on the schools that you plan to apply to. Some schools may look more closely at the quantitative, chemistry and biology sections where as other schools will view the whole score as one. On retaking it, in my opinion I don't think that is necessary. Again all schools vary, some schools will take the higher of the two scores or some may look at your most recent score. I do not know of any schools that would for mix and match the percentiles from two different PCATs. Anyways great job! As long as you have a competitive GPA you'll have no problem getting interview invites from schools. Best of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm not going to create unnecessary stress and retake it then!

hey how was the test? what did you use to study that made you get such a good score? i take it tomorrow and am just reviewing at this point.

I just took mine on the 17th of September. I'm new to SDN, but here are my preliminary scores:

Verbal Ability 91
Biology 97
Reading comp 88
Quantitative 97
Chemistry. 93
Composite. 97

I am a Baylor Biochemistry major with a 4.0 GPA currently. I'm applying next summer, but luckily this is out of the way now. I have a few questions: 1) does your essay score change the composite? 2) will it do me detriment that my RC score was not in the 90s range? 3) do the preliminary and final scores differ by much? 4) is it bad that I have no college pharmacy experience, even though I am pharmacy technician certified? 5) is this good enough for UT Austin and University of Houston pharmacy schools?