Please give me some advice on my career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chococat11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I'm a sophomore at 4 year university.
I've been very struggling with my science classes because it seems like no matter how hard I try there's always people who possess a lot bigger brain than I do.
Currently my gpa is not good, but I do not want to give up my dream of becoming a dentist some day no matter how long it takes.

So I was thinking if science is not my thing, I should just switch out of major and take pre-reqs at community college.
I've failed several science courses at the university I'm attending right now.
I know it'll look like I didn't challenge myself enough, but for last couple years I realized there's just some place I would never be able to get.

Would this lower the chance of getting into dental school in the future?
For alternative major, I was thinking econ or communication.
Should I still take pre reqs at the four year university or would taking at CC be still ok ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty desperate right now.
Thank you very much !

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.
I'm a sophomore at 4 year university.
I've been very struggling with my science classes because it seems like no matter how hard I try there's always people who possess a lot bigger brain than I do.
Currently my gpa is not good, but I do not want to give up my dream of becoming a dentist some day no matter how long it takes.

So I was thinking if science is not my thing, I should just switch out of major and take pre-reqs at community college.
I've failed several science courses at the university I'm attending right now.
I know it'll look like I didn't challenge myself enough, but for last couple years I realized there's just some place I would never be able to get.

Would this lower the chance of getting into dental school in the future?
For alternative major, I was thinking econ or communication.
Should I still take pre reqs at the four year university or would taking at CC be still ok ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty desperate right now.
Thank you very much !

Not having a science major is no biggie at all, as many people get in with all kinds of majors. And while having failed some classes certainly don't look good, it's not a deal breaker either. What you should be more concerned about is how you can possibly handle the science courses in D-School, should you remain determined to be a dentist and do get into a program. Courses in D-School is heavy on the Sciences (no surprise) and if you can't do well on undergrad courses, how do you plan to handle the fast-paced, advanced classes you will be bombarded in D-School?

Well, I don't think that it's really that they "possess a bigger brain" than you.
There are always ways to improve whether it's changing study habits, study times, whatever.

I think changing out of a four year uni and taking your science pre-reqs at a community college is not the smartest idea. It's up to you, but my suggestion is to stay where you are, and figure out what's holding you back from obtaining the grades you need.... and work on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, if you're having a hard time in your undergraduate sciences it will be even more difficult in d-school. With that said, you should really try to find out what specifically you don't understand about science, and seek additional help. There is always tutoring and additional sources to take advantage of. The good thing is, you are still a sophomore and still have some time to pick up that GPA.

As far as transferring, I probably wouldn't recommend retaking pre-req classes at a community college, only because adcom's may look down on that... but I could be wrong. You can major in anything and still get into d-school, but having those upper division sciences always looks good, and will definately help you out in d-school. Also, get involved in other things besides just school. That always helps an app. Best of luck.

Failing more than 2 courses is not acceptable unless you have a really really good excuse. even so, you'll have to show an improving trend. Unfortunate for you, you'll be facing even more difficult science courses at the graduate level, so you can't say that you can't get science.

It's a bad idea. Some units and prereqs from a CC is fine, but only as a stepping stone to a university. You're going backwards. You can do this plan, but you'll still have to return to the university and prove your abilities.
And regarding your abilities, it seems you're making excuses for your performance. Even if your not the smartest kid in the class, you should still be able to get B's if you study enough. Don't justify your bad grades as because there's people with bigger brains than you. That's a fine explanation for not getting an A in a curved grading system, but there's plenty of B's to go around to those that do the work.

i agree with the others. you need to focus on your studying.

how much time a day do you spend studying? do you really put time and effort into your studies? if you dont study, then ofcourse you wont do well in your classes.

i did not have a life when i was taking my science courses. i was either studying or doing ECs.......

Thank you very much for all the comments.
yes, I'm such a wimp indeed.
It's like I haven't even tried REAL hard to test my limits but blaming on circumstances.
Thanks very much everyone.

Don't go to the Community College. It really won't look good when the Dental School sees you weren't doing well in your science classes and opted out to a Community College. If they don't think you can handle it in a University they won't be comfortable placing you in their Dental School. Just work harder to get the grades at the school your at now, cuz its not about how "big your brain" is but how hard you work. Take an honest look at your study habits and then improve them.

No one is gifted at science, they just study a lot.
If your saying that you are studying a lot and still doing badly, then I wouldn't suggest dentistry for you.
But this depends on what you consider is a lot.
What about the DAT? half of that test is science.

GOOD LUCK

Taking prereqs at a CC are okay, as long as you have good grades at the 4-year school too.

Making Fs and then running to a CC to take your prereqs after that is probably going to be frowned upon. I think if you really want to get into dental school your best chance is to retake those classes that you failed at the same university and make As and Bs in them. Then, when you apply you can explain that you failed before but you figured out the problem (study habits, etc.) and turned things around.