Please give me your advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dm24980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I haven't started studying for the MCAT yet, but I want to start now. I've been reading this forum and have noticed that people recommend one not start studying until 3-4 months before the MCAT. I'm taking the MCAT in the Spring of 2010, but I won't have 3-4 months of solid time to study. I may be able to find an hour a day during the fall and spring semesters, and a couple hours a day during the summer. Would this be enough time, and would breaking it up into such small study sessions be effective?

Also, I know there are hundreds of threads on books, but it is hard to sift through all of them to find answers to specific questions. Sorry in advance. Why is EK biology better than BR biology? I have read SN2ed's "3 Month MCAT Study Schedule," does anyone have any changes that they would make to his list of books or plan?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Breaking it up in small chucks over a long period of time is not effective. You will probably forget everything and have a low retention rate in general. You should consider taking the MCAT when you have more time. The bare minimum of time needed per day is around 5 hours. Starting when you only have an hour a day is a waste of time and resources.

EK Bio isn't better than BR/TPR Hyperlearning Bio, it's different. It's presented in a more concise format that many prefer. BR and TPR Hyperlearning Bio go into high level of detail. The detail they present isn't needed for the MCAT, however, it helps some people understand what's going on. For those people, they need to know the inner workings in order to comprehend the material necessary for the MCAT.

Don't start early. I'm taking the MCAT in two days and I've been studying for 8 months. I'm telling you from experience - everything I studied five to eight months ago is long gone. I did the entire EK 101 Verbal book back then, and I don't remember any of it, and I doubt it even helped my performance now.

Limit the credit hours you take during the Spring and study one to three hours a day. If you do that for three months, I think you'll be all right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you should try to concentrate your study toward the end, but I don't think that you must study at least 5 hours a day. If 2 or 3 seems to produce good results for you then go with that. If you're unhappy with your performance then step it up or change your methods.

I agree that you should try to concentrate your study toward the end, but I don't think that you must study at least 5 hours a day. If 2 or 3 seems to produce good results for you then go with that. If you're unhappy with your performance then step it up or change your methods.

Exactly.

Everyone studies differently. I could not do 5 hours a day personally. and never did.

I'm going to agree with Prince...I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but it does seem to me that finding the shortest amount of time with maximum retention is critical...I would think its safe to say that the longer you drag the material out the harder its going to be to keep the material fresh... Just focus on finding your pace when you begin to study and you'll be fine!! No matter how much you put in your head its freakin useless if you cant get it back out!! Good Luck...

Thanks for all the replies. How did you all use the BR books? Did you read them or did you notate/highlight them?

Thanks for all the replies. How did you all use the BR books? Did you read them or did you notate/highlight them?

Some people like reading through the chapters without doing anything. Others find they become more active readers when they search for things to highlight. Go with what works for you.