Please give me your thoughts on my application 2021 (I need help on if I should re-apply or not)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtobe061

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if you'd give me some thoughts on where I am at and where I should apply. I am a re-applicant and this is my second cycle.

Traditional B.S. in Biochemistry (graduation may 2020) Expected cGPA: 3.75 * positive trend Expected sGPA: 3.58 MCAT (May 2019): 512 (131/128/129/124)

URM: I am a first-generation Vietnamese immigrant with US citizenship. Single-parent household with two much younger siblings that I take care of a lot. I am bi-lingual in English and Vietnamese and proficient in French.

Undergraduate institution: Big 10 university, #46 best colleges, #13 top public schools

Volunteering: Home-help aid for the elderly and disadvantaged: 95 hours Face mask sewing for the same elderly population during the COVID-19 pandemic: 40 Ronald McDonald House: 2 hours Psychology tutoring: 66 hours

Shadowing hours: 108 (multiple doctors and health practitioners)

Research hours: 1355, I worked in the associate dean of the medical school's research lab and conducted my own primary project work in single-stranded DNA binding proteins

Leadership: I was the president of the Game Design and Development Club for two years and was a founding board member of our state's first Doctors Without Borders-Student Chapter for 1.5 years. I have presented my research in 3 poster sessions (2 at my undergraduate's research symposium and once at the American Society for Molecular Biology and Biochemistry National Conference).

LOR: 1 from my PI (dean of the medical school), 1 from my biochemistry professor (an author of Lehninger's biochemistry), 1 from my oncology professor (who stated I was in his top 5%), 1 from my classical studies professors, 1 from my volunteering coordinator

Disadvantages: I lived in Vietnam for 5 years before immigrating to the US and our family has had a lot of medical struggles. Additionally, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after years of struggling with my health problems.

Last cycle: I applied really late and got 1 interview and was waitlisted. I applied to roughly 20 schools.

Please let me know what you think or if you need any more info. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! A few things:

a) it would be helpful to know where you applied this past cycle to help better formulate a new school list
b) some schools may have MCAT subsection cutoffs at 125
c) did you get paid for Psychology tutoring?

Hi! A few things:

a) it would be helpful to know where you applied this past cycle to help better formulate a new school list
b) some schools may have MCAT subsection cutoffs at 125
c) did you get paid for Psychology tutoring?
Hi!
a) Boston University, Carle Illinois (I realized after that I didn't have the pre-reqs), Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Drexel, George Washington, Geisel School of Medicine Dartmouth, George Washington, Georgetown, Lewis Katz at Temple, Medical College of Wisconsin, New York Medical College, Oregon Health & Science, Pennsylvania State, Rutgers, Brown University, Tufts, Tulane, UNC, UW SMPH

b) do you by any chance know specific names?

c) no, I was approached by my professor for his program since I scored an A in the class

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residence? Your school list is a bit all over.

I don't believe vietnamese is considered URM btw

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
a) Boston University, Carle Illinois (I realized after that I didn't have the pre-reqs), Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Drexel, George Washington, Geisel School of Medicine Dartmouth, George Washington, Georgetown, Lewis Katz at Temple, Medical College of Wisconsin, New York Medical College, Oregon Health & Science, Pennsylvania State, Rutgers, Brown University, Tufts, Tulane, UNC, UW SMPH

b) do you by any chance know specific names?

c) no, I was approached by my professor for his program since I scored an A in the class
I'm not a guru of school lists or anything, but when I was formulating my list, I took OHSU and Rutgers off because they're not OOS-friendly. Your app looks very research-focused, so if you're set on service-oriented schools like Georgetown/Creighton/Tulane, you'd want to convey how meaningful your volunteering was (particularly non-clinical) in your essays.

As for the 125 subsection cutoffs, it's mostly a rumor floating around that I've heard. If there are schools you have your heart set on, I'd call them just to make sure.

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if you'd give me some thoughts on where I am at and where I should apply. I am a re-applicant and this is my second cycle.

Traditional B.S. in Biochemistry (graduation may 2020) Expected cGPA: 3.75 * positive trend Expected sGPA: 3.58 MCAT (May 2019): 512 (131/128/129/124)

URM: I am a first-generation Vietnamese immigrant with US citizenship. Single-parent household with two much younger siblings that I take care of a lot. I am bi-lingual in English and Vietnamese and proficient in French.

Undergraduate institution: Big 10 university, #46 best colleges, #13 top public schools

Volunteering: Home-help aid for the elderly and disadvantaged: 95 hours Face mask sewing for the same elderly population during the COVID-19 pandemic: 40 Ronald McDonald House: 2 hours Psychology tutoring: 66 hours

Shadowing hours: 108 (multiple doctors and health practitioners)

Research hours: 1355, I worked in the associate dean of the medical school's research lab and conducted my own primary project work in single-stranded DNA binding proteins

Leadership: I was the president of the Game Design and Development Club for two years and was a founding board member of our state's first Doctors Without Borders-Student Chapter for 1.5 years. I have presented my research in 3 poster sessions (2 at my undergraduate's research symposium and once at the American Society for Molecular Biology and Biochemistry National Conference).

LOR: 1 from my PI (dean of the medical school), 1 from my biochemistry professor (an author of Lehninger's biochemistry), 1 from my oncology professor (who stated I was in his top 5%), 1 from my classical studies professors, 1 from my volunteering coordinator

Disadvantages: I lived in Vietnam for 5 years before immigrating to the US and our family has had a lot of medical struggles. Additionally, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after years of struggling with my health problems.

Last cycle: I applied really late and got 1 interview and was waitlisted. I applied to roughly 20 schools.

Please let me know what you think or if you need any more info. Thanks!
I would get more clinical volunteer hours. You are really lacking at that. Honestly, overall your volunteer hours look pretty weak. Also, unless you can boost the hours for the Ronald McDonald house, I wouldn't include it. It would just seem like it's there to take up space. Despite those things, I think you have a fairly good shot if you boost your hours, and research how well you fit at some of your schools. I would not just apply based on stats. Read the mission statement and find out what some of their initiatives and opportunities are so you can show real interest for the school during the interview portion.

It’s not clear to me how your application will have improved from this past cycle? Be prepared to answer this question on many secondaries. If you cannot adequately answer it then you should explore a gap year.

I’m just a fellow applicant, but I’d definitely say to add more volunteer hours and clinical experience however you can before applying again. Good luck though :)

I think you have to significantly ramp up your volunteering hours and clinical exposure. To me, you only have one truly meaningful meaningful volunteer experience (Home-help aid for the elderly and disadvantaged) and even that seems a little lean because if it was really that meaningful, would you really only clock in at 95 hours? Don’t get me wrong, it is a great experience but you’d to show more if you want to prove your altruism. Ronald McDonald house was eye catching until I realized how few hours there were. As for making masks for the Covid 19 pandemic, while undoubtedly important, this activity might leave questions if this is among your biggest update. For instance I was left wondering why only 40 when the pandemic is still ongoing? So again, if I were you I’d consider either ramping up the hours or finding some new clinical or volunteer experiences.

I do apologize if it seems like I’m being a tad harsh but I’d rather come off as crass and play devils advocate for you than for you to have to reapply again.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have to significantly ramp up your volunteering hours and clinical exposure. To me, you only have one truly meaningful meaningful volunteer experience (Home-help aid for the elderly and disadvantaged) and even that seems a little lean because if it was really that meaningful, would you really only clock in at 95 hours? Don’t get me wrong, it is a great experience but you’d to show more if you want to prove your altruism. Ronald McDonald house was eye catching until I realized how few hours there were. As for making masks for the Covid 19 pandemic, while undoubtedly important, this activity might leave questions if this is among your biggest update. For instance I was left wondering why only 40 when the pandemic is still ongoing? So again, if I were you I’d consider either ramping up the hours or finding some new clinical or volunteer experiences.

I do apologize if it seems like I’m being a tad harsh but I’d rather come off as crass and play devils advocate for you than for you to have to reapply again.
No I appreciate your honesty! 40 is the ongoing hours. We (my family and I) are still trying our best to make them. It is just slow due to fabric delivery and etc. I did my volunteering through a program at my school that capped our hours. Along with my part-time job, commuting, research, and EC, I wasn't able to fit in more. I forgot that I also have 49 hours as a behavioral technician during the summer before my schooling began again. I wasn't able to hold the position into the school year because they only needed my job for the summer. Would that impact it?

Would you consider taking another gap year in order to get more volunteering and clinical hours?

Would you consider taking another gap year in order to get more volunteering and clinical hours?

I'm debating it. I applied last time since my advisor said my hours were good enough but now I'm second guessing myself. Is it a bad idea to re-enter the 2021 cycle but just to schools I haven't applied to? I'd also be working on a CNA degree during it and increasing my application as well. My experiences have been meaningful and they solidified why I want to become a physician. However, if numbers are anything, mine aren't good enough

You need to apply to more schools, but medical school are very competitive now! Be persistent and try hard, good luck!!