PLEASE give Stats if you were accepted into CA schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimpervious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is my first year applying and I haven't had much luck with acceptance letters. I kind of want to get a feel for the stats of people they accepted so far for this cycle. If you could please provide the following information:

1. grad. date from college (Bachelor's degree) and what college you grad. from
2. reapplicant? 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc time?
3. GPA, major
4. extracurricular activities
5. tips (what you did to make your application look better, interviewing tips, and anything else you want to throw in!)

I want to know where I stand in comparison to those who were accepted. I got interviewed for USC and Western and got put on the waiting list. I have an interview for UOP in January, but I'm not counting on getting into UOP for sure. I'm a bit worried of my chances of getting into any school.

Please help! It'll be greatly appreciated by many (not just me)! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey kimpervious,

Here are my stats:

(Accepted to Western, waitlist for UOP and USC)
1. Graduated from UC Irvine June 2006
2. First time applying
3. Overall GPA: 3.688 Science GPA: 3.75
BS in Chemistry
4. Over 100 hours of EC including several clubs
Worked at Retail Pharmacy for a year now
5. Do a lot of practice interviews with family members or friends! Come up with some unique qualities about yourself (stories) that make you stand out.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Accepted to Western U. Waitlisted in USC. Haven't heard from UOP. Invited to Loma Linda interview and canceling.

1. grad. date from college (Bachelor's degree) and what college you grad. from: June 2006 from UCLA.

2. reapplicant? 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc time? Reapplicant, 2nd time applying

3. GPA, major: 3.2 overall, 3.0 science. Psychobiology, B.S.

4. extracurricular activities:
-400 hrs of pharmacy volunteer, inpatient and oupatient hospital experience
-2 yrs screening for hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol thru school health organization
-Started a Catholic charity club w/2 friends which aims to feed the homeless in Skid Row.
-1 yr of research in leukemia
-2 yrs involvement in Project Literacy (read with kids)
-2 yrs administrative assistant for an ophthamologist

5. tips (what you did to make your application look better, interviewing tips, and anything else you want to throw in!)
-Did well in my upper division coursework and repeated pre-reqs with C's
-Practice interviewing and learn not to be nervous.
-Don't over-rehearse potential interview questions, go with the natural flow
-Be yourself.
-Be genuine.
-Make sure to maintain eye contact with both your interviewers, even the student interviewer.
-If you don't know an answer, it's okay to pause a bit, think, and then answer.
-Be confident yet humble at the same time.

Good luck!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input! I guess I could have practiced interviewing more. USC was my first interview and I kind of wish it wasn't because I was so nervous! Nervous for my first choice! Urgh!

As for school, I've noticed that a lot of people who get in come from a UC. If they don't, they have a spectacular GPA! I go to a CSU. The funny thing is that I only went to CSU to save money (well my parents wanted to save money). I really should have thought about this beforehand! I just didn't think I'd be applying to grad school.

Well congratulations to both of you and I hope to hear more from everyone else who got in. Thanks again!

Hi,

I've been accepted to Touro and USC. Interviewing for Western in Jan. Haven't heard from the rest.

1) First time applying
2) UCI class of 2004 undergrad
3) Science GPA 3.9 overall GPA: 3.86 Biological Sciences Major
4) Volunteered in hospital outpatient pharmacy and worked at Savon as a clerk.
5) research experience 3years in school and 1 year in NIH.
6) cabinet member of 2 clubs at UCI and other activities

Tips: For the interview, try not to be nervous. At the USC interview, I was extremely calm that I attacked the questions more adequately than I would when I get nervous. Also work hard to get the grades because though experience is important, unfortunnately numbers are also as important. The numbers will get you the interview. Then your personality shines at the interview. hope this helps..

accepted at western, waitlisted at usc, interview with uop in jan. (i might cancel)
1. graduated from cal state long beach may 2006 with b.s. in biology:oops:ption in physiology (it doesn't matter which school you went to, it's what you accomplished there. i went there to save money too and i'm glad! with financial aid and all, it was like i was getting paid to go to school)
2. 2nd time applying
3. 3.6 cum, 3.4 science
4. 2 clubs, 100+ hours of hospital outpatient pharmacy volunteering, 2 years of research (published articles, presentations), received summer research grant, graduated from honors program
5. after graduating, i went for a biotechnology certificate (something to do after i got rejected the first time from applying), passed ptcb exam, continued research, took pcat (just in case i have to apply out of state)....interview tips? be and look confident!

good luck kimpervious!!!:D

accepted at western, waitlisted at usc, interview with uop in jan. (i might cancel)
1. graduated from cal state long beach may 2006 with b.s. in biology:oops:ption in physiology (it doesn't matter which school you went to, it's what you accomplished there. i went there to save money too and i'm glad! with financial aid and all, it was like i was getting paid to go to school)

Hey! Did you have a 9:30 appointment for USC because I remember seeing this one girl that went to the USC interview at the exact same time as me as well as the Western interview. She graduated from Long Beach too. Hmm was that you? I was the only one NOT wearing a blazer (which I think I'm going to invest in for my UOP interview).

sorry i was in the 9:00 am group.

Hi,

Accepted at UOP and USC, crossing my fingers for UCSF...

1. Graduating from SFSU (Yay CSU's!) this semester, B.S. in Biology, emphasis in Physiology
2. 1st time applicant
3. 3.73 overall, 3.65 science
4. Student government, volunteer at in-patient pharmacy, 3 years biomed research
5. I spent a lot of time on my personal statement, I really think people tend to blow it off and then write it in a hurry. I actually got one of those personal statement help books (they didn't have a pharm one, so I got the med school one) and I found it helped me write a good statement. For the interviews, I made sure to be knowledgeable about the profession and I practiced the normal questions/answers a lot whenever I was driving anywhere alone :) I found the interviews to be the most difficult part because you have to come off as humble yet intelligent, curious yet mature and confident, blah blah. I tried to just be myself as much as possible and be enthusiastic.

Good luck and don't get discouraged!

THanks for all your input! It's hard to not get discouraged sometimes, but things are getting better. I'm always thinking about the interviews I just did and my chances. I just keep hoping that an envelope will show up soon saying "we want you!"

Congratulations to all of you though and I'm very grateful for your input. It's giving me a perspective on what schools are looking for.

Hey kimpervious.. I have my UOP interview next month as well. What day is yours? I'm really nervous about it because I've always wanted to go there!! And having all my interviews in January I have this mentality that all the spots are already taken and the only remaining ones are for the super applicants!! :eek:

So far I've been accepted to Touro and I have interviews next month for UOP (Jan 12th), Loma Linda (Jan 19th), USC (Jan 20th), Western (Jan 27th).

I'm so nervous January is going to make or break me, I'm really glad I put down the 2k for Touro actually because I would not mind going there, and I thought it would make me less nervous about my interviews but I really just don't want to be rejected from 4 schools all at once!

Anyway.. enough of my ranting.

Stats -

I'm graduating this coming spring

I'm a first time applicant and my Overall GPA is a 3.45 and my science GPA is a 3.20, I have a really strong upward trend. I'm getting a BS in BioSci.

I'm in a frat, prepharm club and have volunteered at pharmacies.

Tips, I would say just apply early (but you would know that obviously if you already were granted interviews in November). I spent a good amount of time on my Personal Statement on PharmCas. I also spend a good amount of time on Western, USC and UOP's supplemental essay's. I rushed Touro and UCSF's though .. er I kinda regret rushing UCSF's, I just felt like I wasn't going to get in anyway and I had midterms (self fulfililling prophecy perhaps). Yeah I actually don't have that many tips besides applying early, I could actually use some pointers (esp for my upcoming interviews..)

Polarbear,

Congrats for getting into Touro! At least you don't have to worry about not getting in AT ALL! I sort of know how you feel because I'm graduating this spring too with sort of the same GPA except I went to a CSU. I am freaking out too because I feel like I've spent so much time fixing my schedule so I could graduate just in time to apply for the upcoming fall semester...and now I'm just unsure of how things will work out. I can't really plan anything without being accepted anywhere yet.

Well my UOP interview is January 19. Too bad it's not the same one as you because we could be nervous together. haha.

As for Western's interview:
They asked me to them about myself. Why do you want to go to into pharmacy? Do you know any of the latest news in pharmacy? (You should know some information on new drugs and breakthroughs..etc. I didn't really knowing anything so hopefully you will by then). They'll ask you situational questions. One of mine was, "If you were in a group project and one person was slacking off, what would you do?" They don't want you to say you'll do the work for him/her because you'd be letting that person get away and remain lazy. They pretty much want to see how you work in groups. They also asked, "Say you're a pharmacist already and a doctor wants to prescribe a pill that is not cost effective. The problem is that he/she is insisting on using that pill. WHat would you do?" Or "What if the doctor prescribed medication to a patient that you didn't agree with completely. How would you prove or show to the doctor that the patient should take something else?"

Some interviewers are more technical than others, but be prepared for that. They're generally nice to everyone to make you feel relaxed.

USC:
I think many of their questions are based off of your application. It's tailored to you. Of course they'll ask why you want to be a pharmacist? What are some good and bad things about pharmacy? Where do you see yourself in the future? If you didn't get in, what would you do? What makes you different from other applicants? They may ask some specifics about any extracurricular experiences you've had so be prepared. The interviewers are a little more cold, but I think they're told to act that way.

They may also ask why you want to go to their school.

Be prepared to ask questions at the end of your interview. If anything, be yoruself, be confident, and be honest. Show that you stand out! Know your application just in case they may ask something from it. Just make sure your answers don't sound too rehearsed.

You'll be fine! Since you received interview invitations from all those schools, I'm sure they chose you for a good reason. Good luck with all your interviews. I hope I'll be as lucky as you and get in somewhere. I'm so scared!

Yeah its too bad we're not interviewing the same day, I'll be sure to tell you how UOP's interview went since you have it the following week :) Thanks for all the help, I'll think over those questions during my holidays :D

kimpervious,

I was reading about your interview with Western and let me just say, I think they were pretty tough on you. My experience was nothing like that.

I guess it depends also on luck and who you get.

Good luck in your UOP interview.

PolarBear,

Wow! You are going to be super busy in January! At least you'll have those interview questions fresh in your mind!

And yes, knowing that you have been accepted somewhere does take alot of pressure off.

Good luck to you in all your interviews.

Hi. I was accepted to Western. Interview scheduled at LLU in January. Waiting to hear from UCSF, UCSD, UOP (tier 3).

Stats:
B.S. in Cell and Developmental Biology, 2004, UCSB
Cum GPA: 3.81, Science GPA: 3.84
Year of Education Abroad in England, Honors Program Member
2+ years of biotech research after graduation

I am actually probably one of the few applicants with no retail/community pharmacy experience. But I think my work experience really helped my during my interview. Also, I spent a lot of time writing my applications and statement of purpose.

Tips:
Practice your interviewing techniques!!! When I was an undergrad applying for jobs, I read the book "How to Turn an Interview Into a Job." It gives some really good tips on how to interview successfully. If you are still in school, utilize your schools career center/services. I truly feel that you can make up for an application that is deficient in areas by interviewing well. Also, try not to be nervous. It will only prevent the real you from shining through.

Good luck and congrats to all of you who have been accepted!

Hi. I was accepted to Western. Interview scheduled at LLU in January. Waiting to hear from UCSF, UCSD, UOP (tier 3).

Stats:
B.S. in Cell and Developmental Biology, 2004, UCSB
Cum GPA: 3.81, Science GPA: 3.84
Year of Education Abroad in England, Honors Program Member
2+ years of biotech research after graduation

I am actually probably one of the few applicants with no retail/community pharmacy experience. But I think my work experience really helped my during my interview. Also, I spent a lot of time writing my applications and statement of purpose.

Tips:
Practice your interviewing techniques!!! When I was an undergrad applying for jobs, I read the book "How to Turn an Interview Into a Job." It gives some really good tips on how to interview successfully. If you are still in school, utilize your schools career center/services. I truly feel that you can make up for an application that is deficient in areas by interviewing well. Also, try not to be nervous. It will only prevent the real you from shining through.

Good luck and congrats to all of you who have been accepted!

Did your Western interviewer ask you a lot of technical questions or was it pretty simple?

It wasn't very technical at all. At the time I kind of wished it was more technical because I am not used to informal interviews. But I was asked why a PharmD degree and not a PhD.

PolarBear,

Wow! You are going to be super busy in January! At least you'll have those interview questions fresh in your mind!

And yes, knowing that you have been accepted somewhere does take alot of pressure off.

Good luck to you in all your interviews.

swanchick, do you remember the name of your faculty interviewer who recognized you? who have you heard is a friendly faculty interviewer?

ahhh! I'm so bad with names. :( airen, if you asked me two weeks ago, I'd be able to tell you. I'd definitely be able to recognize him if I saw him in Western.

I'm not familar with faculty in Western at all, so can't tell you who the friendly ones are.

Actually..I think the friendly ones are the ones who called their interviewees to congratulate them. haha. :thumbup:

I didn't get a call..but that's okay. I still like Western. :)