Please help!! 3.80 cGPA, 3.70 sGPA, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruby1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say you have a pretty good chance at getting into a state school or low/mid tier school. As you pointed out, your MCAT is really the only subpar part of your application. Duke (and similar schools) are definitely a reach - you probably shouldn't expect an interview or acceptance from them unless your MCAT improves significantly.

I will be graduating this summer and apply for this cycle.

I double major in Cellular and Molecular Biology, and Psychology at one of prestigious private university.

Georgia resident
cGPA: ~3.80
sGPA: ~3.70
MCAT: VR/PS/BS 8/11/10

ECs:
3 years of research experience
3 medical tutorials
1 clinical volunteer for 3 years
1 non-clinical volunteer for 2 years
Relay for life for 2 years, annual research conference for 2 years
Dean's list for four times
Few C+ in science courses in my sophomore years

Recommendation letter:
Adviser/science faculty 1
science faculty 1
research mentor 1
humanities 2
volunteer mentor/MD 1
shadowing/MD 1

My real concern is low MCAT score. I am retaking MCAT on July, but still worried about verbal section. I am not applying to DO this year though because I do not have recommendation from DO anyway. If I do not get accepted anywhere this year, I will shadow a DO and apply next year at MD/DO.

Do you think with good PS and AMCAS, I have a chance to get into state medical school, or maybe Emory or Duke?
You have several in-state schools where your stats would fit. Emory isn't one of them, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory and Duke both have a lower 10 percentile MCAT score of 31 so idk how confident you feel with a 29. Either way best of luck!

I agree with what everyone else said here, but just for some reassurance...your stats are basically the same as mine were when I applied...except your GPA is higher than mine (I had a 3.6).

I applied to about 20 MD schools, 7 interviews, 4 wait lists, 3 acceptances.

Applied 5 DO schools, 2 interviews, 2 acceptances.

I'd encourage you to apply DO though. It can't hurt, and you don't necessarily need a letter from a DO for every school (I didn't have one).

You should be fine, ESPECIALLY if you up your mcat. Good luck :)

Thank you for feed backs!! I really hope my MCAT retake in July turns out to be 33-35. Wish me luck :)

I had similar stats and was a GA resident. My GPA was slightly lower, actually. I was offered interviews at both MCG and PCOM, wait listed by the former, accepted by the latter, but I ended up going to Tulane. I had four interviews total.

I am not applying to DO this year though because I do not have recommendation from DO anyway. If I do not get accepted anywhere this year, I will shadow a DO and apply next year at MD/DO.
@ruby1004: to improve your chances of success in a single application season, you might include this school in your plans now. They strongly recommend, but do not require, a DO LOR.

I agree with what everyone else said here, but just for some reassurance...your stats are basically the same as mine were when I applied...except your GPA is higher than mine (I had a 3.6).

I applied to about 20 MD schools, 7 interviews, 4 wait lists, 3 acceptances.

Applied 5 DO schools, 2 interviews, 2 acceptances.

I'd encourage you to apply DO though. It can't hurt, and you don't necessarily need a letter from a DO for every school (I didn't have one).

You should be fine, ESPECIALLY if you up your mcat. Good luck :)

Were those MD acceptances in state or oos?

Thank you for the encouragement! I think I could get fee waiver for AACOMAs since I got one from AAMC. It would make me easier to apply to few DO schools. I should send the materials tomorrow :)

Thank you for the encouragement! I think I could get fee waiver for AACOMAs since I got one from AAMC. It would make me easier to apply to few DO schools. I should send the materials tomorrow :)

about AACOMA fee wavier... how do I send a tax forms in when I never had to file for tax? I was never employed so had no income...how do I get a fee waiver in this situation?

I don't have tax return form as well. I use my parent's tax return form since I am their dependent. The process was not hard, just copy your parent's tax return form and mail to AAMC with cover letter.

Really nice Stats, but that MCAT is borderline. Since it is not below the cut off of 8 in any catergory I think you are okay, since the above average GPA offsets the questions raised by your sub-par MCAT