Please help, 3.98/523 school list help, gap year weight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huge_epic_gaming69

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied this cycle and we have very similar apps (3.96 GPA, 523 mcat, Georgia, ORM). Fortunately I have had a lot of success this cycle and I was originally worried my list was too top heavy also, but it worked out in the end and I got plenty of love from T20s. Here was my school list:

Ohio state
Iowa
MCG
Emory
UVA
Yale
Northwestern
Uchicago
Harvard
Mayo MN
UPenn
Hopkins
WashU
UCSF
Stanford
Indiana
Pitt
NYU
Case western
CCLCM
Michigan
Columbia
Duke
Cornell
Einstein
Western Michigan
Cincinnati

I was worried about my research experience also and was in a similar boat as you with ~1600 hours, no pubs, several poster presentations, and funding awards. I think a big reason why I had a lot of success with research-focused schools was bc I had a great relationship with my PI and he wrote a glowing letter for me. Try to gauge how well your PI can write about you. If you become published during the app cycle, a lot of schools allow you to send update

For clinical experience, I think everyone is in a similar situation due to COVID so I would really reflect hard on your hospice volunteering and the lessons that make you want to become an MD. Same thing with your experience working w/ underserved populations/people less fortunate than yourself. Show those lessons in your essays and writing.

MUSC, Florida, UAB, UNC are not friendly to OOS so I would probably remove them unless you have ties. PM if you have more questions

Reactions: 1 user
Your application has incredible stats and well rounded activities - your have significant research experience, pubs are not the norm. Make sure to continue your clinical experiences during the application year.

Your list looks pretty alright I would say. UNC, Florida, MUSC, Indiana might be low yield due to low OOS percentage, unless you have ties.

Look into replacing with: Wake Forest, Hofstra, Tulane, USF Morsani, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
Your application has incredible stats and well rounded activities - your have significant research experience, pubs are not the norm. Make sure to continue your clinical experiences during the application year.

Your list looks pretty alright I would say. UNC, Florida, MUSC, Indiana might be low yield due to low OOS percentage, unless you have ties.

Look into replacing with: Wake Forest, Hofstra, Tulane, USF Morsani, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Temple.

Last edited: