• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
Feb 24, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE :)

Hey guys, still so surreal to me that I'll apply soon this cycle but I've been working on getting together a school list. Graduating May 2021.

GPA: cGPA: 3.98, sGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 523 (131/128/132/132)

State: Georgia

Ethnicity: Asian

Undergrad: Flagship state university

Clinical experience: ~100 hours hospice volunteering

Research: 2000+ hours in biochemistry lab, both basic science and bioinformatics, presented 4 times at school-level conferences
350 hours in global health ethics research
No pubs at time of application but 3 pubs likely by time of matriculation, prestigious school-wide award for research in sophomore year

Shadowing experience: 35 hours, primary care physician

Non-clinical volunteering: 500 hours, tutoring underserved kids, hold leadership position in this organization

Other extracurricular activities: Dance team with leadership position, 800 hours, peer advisor with the premedical office, 50 hours

Weaknesses:
Obviously clinical experience and shadowing, although 100% of the time spent with hospice was directly interacting with patients. Got cut off severely due to COVID, definitely open to any ideas of how to increase hours before application! Definitely shouldn't have put off shadowing until this late, is having only 35 hours concerning enough that I should push back for another year? During the cycle I plan on either entering a year-long health-based Americorps-type program or scribing full-time, will this help offset my relative lack of clinical experience?

Additionally, would my lack of pubs at the time of application be cause for concern? Do pubs coming in during the cycle have much of an effect?

Special research interests: glycobiology, global health

My current school list:
  • Harvard
  • Stanford
  • Hopkins
  • UCSF
  • Penn
  • WashU
  • Yale
  • Chicago
  • Duke
  • UCSD
  • Cornell
  • UCLA
  • Vandy
  • Pitt
  • Mt Sinai
  • Mayo
  • Case
  • Emory
  • CCLCM
  • UVA
  • UNC
  • OSU
  • Einstein
  • UAB
  • MCG (Augusta)
  • Mercer
  • Miami
  • Rochester
  • Florida
  • MUSC
Is my school list too top-heavy? If so, what are some good schools to add? Thanks!

laffingdead

2+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I applied this cycle and we have very similar apps (3.96 GPA, 523 mcat, Georgia, ORM). Fortunately I have had a lot of success this cycle and I was originally worried my list was too top heavy also, but it worked out in the end and I got plenty of love from T20s. Here was my school list:

Ohio state
Iowa
MCG
Emory
UVA
Yale
Northwestern
Uchicago
Harvard
Mayo MN
UPenn
Hopkins
WashU
UCSF
Stanford
Indiana
Pitt
NYU
Case western
CCLCM
Michigan
Columbia
Duke
Cornell
Einstein
Western Michigan
Cincinnati

I was worried about my research experience also and was in a similar boat as you with ~1600 hours, no pubs, several poster presentations, and funding awards. I think a big reason why I had a lot of success with research-focused schools was bc I had a great relationship with my PI and he wrote a glowing letter for me. Try to gauge how well your PI can write about you. If you become published during the app cycle, a lot of schools allow you to send update

For clinical experience, I think everyone is in a similar situation due to COVID so I would really reflect hard on your hospice volunteering and the lessons that make you want to become an MD. Same thing with your experience working w/ underserved populations/people less fortunate than yourself. Show those lessons in your essays and writing.

MUSC, Florida, UAB, UNC are not friendly to OOS so I would probably remove them unless you have ties. PM if you have more questions

Reactions: 1 user

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your application has incredible stats and well rounded activities - your have significant research experience, pubs are not the norm. Make sure to continue your clinical experiences during the application year.

Your list looks pretty alright I would say. UNC, Florida, MUSC, Indiana might be low yield due to low OOS percentage, unless you have ties.

Look into replacing with: Wake Forest, Hofstra, Tulane, USF Morsani, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 24, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your application has incredible stats and well rounded activities - your have significant research experience, pubs are not the norm. Make sure to continue your clinical experiences during the application year.

Your list looks pretty alright I would say. UNC, Florida, MUSC, Indiana might be low yield due to low OOS percentage, unless you have ties.

Look into replacing with: Wake Forest, Hofstra, Tulane, USF Morsani, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Temple.

I'm definitely interested in adding Tulane and Temple. Although, I thought Tulane was considered low yield?

Would you say that my shadowing hours are adequate? I know that everyone's hour count is lower due to COVID, but 35 hours only just seems like such a small number.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.