PLEASE HELP...AMCAS Problem - Academic Terms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ken Young

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone out there in the midst of filling out AMCAS applications could help me out.

When entering course work and academic terms, do they want:
FR Fall 1996-Spring 1997
SO Fall 1997-Spring 1998, etc etc

or begining with the year you entered that level:
FR 1996 Fall S1, Spring S2
SO 1997 Fall S1, Spring S2, etc etc.

Also, the choices for academic terms on the scroll down choices doesn't even list 1999 Spring S2 for me. I was able to chose 1999 Fall S1, but it doesn't list 1999 S2. What should I do? I'm desperate for help! Thanks for your time and help. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure that what you enter as Spring '98 is displayed as Spring '97. For the purposes of this application, the year starts in the fall and continues into the spring.

You just need to type it in when you actually took the classes (Fall 97, Spring 98, etc. and their system will change it to the method that they want it in. ( it will change to fall 97 s1, 97 s2. I have had similar problems, but mine are with the summer classes. I tried to select summer session, and in one case, it is not an option!! I'm not sure what to do about that. Right now I have it in as full year term because that was the only choice it gave me. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input!
I think that I too will go ahead and input my 1999 Spring S2 grades in another option (summer session?) since it doesn't give me that 1999 S2 option. Will it still calculate the correct gpa? This is really strange however that the application doesn't list all the choices for academic terms sometimes.
Thanks and best of luck to everyone struggling with the application, I feel your pain!

Anyone else with any other options, please help!

I think it calculates the GPA by what you classify each class as (FR, SO, JR, SR). Thats what it seemed to do on mine. However who knows what it is trying to accomplish. AT least it let me put the correct years even if the option I wanted (summer session) wasn't there. I dont know if its worth the hassle to call or wait 2 weeks for them to respond via email on how to fix it. When the schools compare transcripts to the amcas grades, they will be able to figure it out!

Schools don't compare transcripts to AMCAS grades, AMCAS does it. I wouldn't worry about this problem, I think that as long as the classes are in the correct order, AMCAS shouldn't give us much of a problem.

ok ok here is the answer from the amcas people...
put in the year and term for which you actually took the class. dont worry about what happens when u push "next" they will figure it out.
I called them and this is what they told me. Can someone else call them and conf. ?

Originally posted by pimpMD:
•ok ok here is the answer from the amcas people...
put in the year and term for which you actually took the class. dont worry about what happens when u push "next" they will figure it out.•

Well, that's how I entered my course info, since that's about what it said in the help file. I just hope they can figure this mess out. :)

Alrightee, I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice everyone, good looking out! Keep on pluggin.

PimpMD, thanks for calling too!