Please help! Been hearing conflicting advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiolus23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay…I've been going crazy for a while because I have been hearing a lot of different things about these issues. So I was hoping someone can tell me the truth! Here are my questions:

Q1- I want to submit my AMCAS in June to one school, and then, add more schools when I get my MCAT score back on June 30th (taking May 22nd MCAT). If my score is bad, I don't think I will want to apply this cycle, so I will probably withdraw my app. If I withdraw my primary app, is this a bad thing? Will I be a re-applicant at every other school I apply to next cycle?? And does that mean, I will carry the reapp stigma on me?

Q2- Seriously, how bad are MCAT retakes? If I retook my MCAT for any reason, would I still have a chance at the top tier schools despite my retake?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
If you submit a primary app, you are hence forth considered a reapplicant. Thats just how it's processed. I recommend waiting to see what your practice scores are, if they are solid leading up to your test, go ahead and apply, if not, wait till June 30. At that point if you are not happy with your score you can hold off a year, but if you rocked it just submit on June 30 - That's really not going to make a difference since secondaries come out early-mid July for most schools.

They will be releasing preliminary scores for people taking the April and May tests about 3 weeks after the test date. That would still let you submit your application in early June and get verified.
As for taking the test multiple times, I have a hard time believing that all adcoms will crucify those that are taking the new MCAT test if they take multiple times. After all, only 1 sample test is out there and the prep material so far is all over the place. Maybe it is just wishful thinking though.
I plan to submit to just one school after I get my preliminary results and then add more schools. From looking at secondaries in years past is that most of them asked if you were a re-applicant to their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait to submit your app before you know what your MCAT score is, since no one knows how accurate the current practice tests are for the new MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
You'd only be a reapplicant at the one school you added.

Reactions: 1 users
do you have a current MCAT score, or will May 22nd be your first MCAT?

Q1. If you have a previous score submit the first day, if you wait until you get your score you risk getting a delay with verification. You will only be a reapplicant at the school you chose to submit to, if this stresses you out then just submit to a random school that you definitely will not be applying to.

Q2. In the past, 2 MCAT scores are not negatively looked upon (one of my best friends took it twice and interviewed at HMS, Hopkins and some of the CA public medical schools). Not sure how multiple retakes will look with this new test, but my guess is that if you retake the new test twice that's not too negative (even if you have a score from the old test). My suggestion is that you should only take it once you are as prepared as possible.