please help..Columbia vs. Florida

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by creverte, Apr 10, 2004.

1. creverte

creverte Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey...I graduated from University of Florida last May and I'm teaching down in Miami where i grew up...Columbia has always been my dream school, but I have a lot of people and money trying to pull me back to UF...I'm not sure whether I should go back to UF where I think things would be easier and more comfortable, or Columbia for a bigger challenge...I do want to specialize in the future as opposed to general practice but not sure what I want to do yet...Please give me some suggestions!! Thanks!
    chris

2. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The decision is ultimately up to you...There are a lot of positive and negative factors to consider before making a decision. I would personally go to Columbia. I am sure there are others who would pick FL over Columbia. Go to a school that you think would make you a better doctor. Are you interseted in academic medicine or are you thinking about going into private practice?Getting med school loans is like paying mortgage. I don't think money should be a big factor in deciding what medical school to attend. HTH! :)

3. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hands down Columbia!

4. ek6

ek6 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Have you visited Columbia? Or you interviewed there I assume? That's a big jump to go from Sunny Florida to the run-down, yet prestigious streets of Columbia Med up in Washington Heights.

5. creverte

creverte Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey elk...
    yeah, i did a summer program @ columbia 2 yrs ago and spent 6 weeks there (mind you in the summer)...i really really loved new york even washington heights, but on the other hand the pools and outdoor soccer fields etc. in florida are nice...i love both so im kind of stuck in the middle.

6. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

columbia is a better school, and its name alone will probably get you into a top residency. keep in mind, however, that at school like columbia many of your classmates will be uptight ivy-league pricks.