Please Help! Conviction Question on Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Revolution #9

Hi guys,

I was convicted of a minor misdemeanor last year (non violent, not drug related, not theft, etc), but I am still reluctant to apply to schools that ask about convictions on secondaries. I'm thinking about adding these schools, but would first like to know if there is a crime/conviction question on the secondary. Thanks in advance! Karma to you and your family! :D

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Yale University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember NYMC having that question. Sorry I cant help you with the others!

I'm not sure if schools even check (then again..maybe they do). Also too, why don't you look into an expungement then its off your record.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School - Not Asked
Mount Sinai School of Medicine - Not Asked
New York Medical College
New York University I think not asked
Stanford University School of Medicine - I think this had one but can't remember
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine - Don't think asked
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University - not asked if I remember correctlt
Yale University School of Medicine - not asked if i remember correctly

It's been a while so I forget exactly but I think those are right.

Since none of us know who you are, or ever will, please satisfy our curiosity and tell us what you did...we promise not to tell.

So, Pink, why was that on your radar too? What'd you do?

MB in SD said:
Since none of us know who you are, or ever will, please satisfy our curiosity and tell us what you did...we promise not to tell.

That's not exactly true, considering the ease of finding someones IP address. Sorry, I'd prefer not to tell! :)

Thanks to those who help answer my question. :D

I seriously don't think many schools check backgrounds...unless perhaps someone could enlighten me on this issue.

you will run into a problem though if you lie, from what i understand some states require fingerprinting before you can begin residency and if you lied on your app about convictions your whole life could be turned upside down! maybe someone could post the states that do require fingerprinting to help our convicted friend out..

Revolution #9 said:
That's not exactly true, considering the ease of finding someones IP address. Sorry, I'd prefer not to tell! :)

Thanks to those who help answer my question. :D

How about if you log in from a library or something so that we cannot trace the IP address to you? ;)

MB in SD said:

So, Pink, why was that on your radar too? What'd you do?

Murder 1. :smuggrin: Nah, I haven't been convicted of anything, but I had been charged with criminal trespassing (a misdeamenor - I wasn't, long story), and even though it obviously means nothing, some application ask specifically if you had been charged or convicted, so I had to pay attention to the wording. So I remember some of them. Oddly enough, TMDSAS asked last year if you had been convicted of a crime, and now they changed it to ask if you have been charged. Sucks for new applicants because anyone can be charged with anything. Anyhow, yeah, murder 1, like I said.

kdwuma said:
you will run into a problem though if you lie, from what i understand some states require fingerprinting before you can begin residency and if you lied on your app about convictions your whole life could be turned upside down! maybe someone could post the states that do require fingerprinting to help our convicted friend out..

I'm pretty sure schools run a background check using your SSN to cover themselves from liabilities.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm now mainly interested in these three schools:

Case Western
University of Pittsburgh
University of Chicago

Thanks a lot! :)

Dude, sooner or later they're going to find out about it... I'm pretty sure they do criminal background checks on all applicants they are considering for acceptance. If I were you, I'd be honest about the whole thing from the get go and definitely don't place the blame on someone else. Take responsibilty for your actions, man.

By the way, that's quite a list you've got there. You can ignore me if you want, many do, but you might want to add some lower tier schools there-- the schools you're applying to are highly competitive, and you might want to increase your odds of not being empty handed come next august.

silas2642 said:
Dude, sooner or later they're going to find out about it... I'm pretty sure they do criminal background checks on all applicants they are considering for acceptance. If I were you, I'd be honest about the whole thing from the get go and definitely don't place the blame on someone else. Take responsibilty for your actions, man.

By the way, that's quite a list you've got there. You can ignore me if you want, many do, but you might want to add some lower tier schools there-- the schools you're applying to are highly competitive, and you might want to increase your odds of not being empty handed come next august.

Thanks for the advice. I already applied to 12 mid/lower tier schools, and I'm looking to add some reach schools.
As far as the conviction - Its not dishonest to not apply to schools that ask about convictions. The issue isnt covering anything up, its simply about maximizing chances of acceptance by not getting screened pre-interview by a conviction question.

Revolution #9 said:
Thanks for the advice. I already applied to 12 mid/lower tier schools, and I'm looking to add some reach schools.
As far as the conviction - Its not dishonest to not apply to schools that ask about convictions. The issue isnt covering anything up, its simply about maximizing chances of acceptance by not getting screened pre-interview by a conviction question.
Hey man, I have Malicious Mischief 1 on my record(jailable offense in Oregon), and I admitted it and explained it and talked about what I learned, etc, and I'm holding interviews at USC and JHU right now. I wouldn't worry about it too much. JHU definitely asked about it on secondary, don't remember if USC did or not.