Please help! Counseling Psychology or School Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamsofeden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am puzzled with all of the different options available in the field.
I am very interested in learning about different therapeutic techniques and do not have a specific population in mind (except mabybe healthy individuals). I love kids but have never worked directly with them so I am not sure what that is like. All I know is that I want to help people identify & treat their problems timely as well as help them find efficient ways of coping with stress so that they can lead more peaceful and fulfilling lives. I am definitely interested in giving therapy but I know there are several routes for that and that is where I am stuck...

I am interested in School Psychology because I am interested in helping children and working with them, and I am also drawn to what seems to be a more stable schedule (with plenty of breaks), as well as a stable income. I am not sure if this is actually the case, and I am not sure if School Psychologists actually get a chance to counsel children and families as much as I would like, or if their job consists mostly of assessment and diagnostics. Perhaps this is something you can clarify for me? What does a School Psychologist really do, what is a typical day like, what is the pay range, work hours, vacation schedule?

I would also like to know as much as possible what an ordinary day in the life of a Counseling Psychologist is like...what kind of job opportunities are available and what are the differences (in opportunities) between having a PhD and a Master's degree? Which one of these options offers more work-life balance and overall work satisfaction?

I really appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. I've been wanting to make a career move for 5 years and have not done so because I have not been able to make up my mind and it's time to take the plunge!

Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Read up on each field. In counseling psych, you will likely get more experience on the therapeutic side. In school psych, more training is likely on the assessment side. Counseling psych is more geared to working with adults, and school psych with kids. There are certainly exceptions to everything I said above, though (e.g. some programs in counseling you get more assessment, some school psych programs you will get more trianing in counseling and with adults, etc.).

I am puzzled with all of the different options available in the field.
I am very interested in learning about different therapeutic techniques and do not have a specific population in mind (except mabybe healthy individuals). I love kids but have never worked directly with them so I am not sure what that is like. All I know is that I want to help people identify & treat their problems timely as well as help them find efficient ways of coping with stress so that they can lead more peaceful and fulfilling lives. I am definitely interested in giving therapy but I know there are several routes for that and that is where I am stuck...

I am interested in School Psychology because I am interested in helping children and working with them, and I am also drawn to what seems to be a more stable schedule (with plenty of breaks), as well as a stable income. I am not sure if this is actually the case, and I am not sure if School Psychologists actually get a chance to counsel children and families as much as I would like, or if their job consists mostly of assessment and diagnostics. Perhaps this is something you can clarify for me? What does a School Psychologist really do, what is a typical day like, what is the pay range, work hours, vacation schedule?

I would also like to know as much as possible what an ordinary day in the life of a Counseling Psychologist is like...what kind of job opportunities are available and what are the differences (in opportunities) between having a PhD and a Master's degree? Which one of these options offers more work-life balance and overall work satisfaction?

I really appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. I've been wanting to make a career move for 5 years and have not done so because I have not been able to make up my mind and it's time to take the plunge!

Thank you for reading!